Cambodia Travel Answers

change location

should we keep same driver for 14 days or organize as we go

by aussideb Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 8:21 PM

We are two families 6 persons in total who want to tour ( its the trip not the destination) . We are planning to visit

1 Phnom Pen

2 Siem Reap

3 Siem Reap

4 siem Reap

5 Siem Reap

6 Battambang

7 Battambang

8 Battambang

9 Sihanoukville

10 Sihanoukville

11 Kampot

12 Kampot

13 Kampot

14 Phnom penn

15 Phnom Penn

Should we hire the same driver for the entire trip.I have been quoted60 per day plus petrol for a van. We do not want a lot of hassle

every time with negotiating prices etc etc and also want to be able to stop whenever we wish and maybe detour.

Any info or comments would be appreciated.

Also is Battambang to Sihanoukville too big a trip in a day.??

should I make any changes to itinerary??

Thanks

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: should we keep same driver for 14 days or organize as we go

by davidjo Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 9:40 PM

You have certainly picked a couple of my favourite destinations including the laid back town of Kampot (don't forget to take a ride along the coast to Kep while you are there. Sihanoukeville is surrounded by great beaches and the nearby islands may be worth considering by spending one less day in Kampot or Battambang. I believe that to get from Battambang to Sihanoukville you have to return via PP unless a new road has been built. I don't know much about car and driver prices but60 a day seems quite reasonable to me (that is10 per head + petrol). But in SE Asia people are used to bargaining, so why don't you try for50 per day. What about the driver's food and accommodation? I think it would be advantageous to keep the same driver as you can get to know hime instead of hiring different ones in different localities.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

by AlbuqRay Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 8:43 AM

From my experience, the60/day is a very reasonable price. The one time that I hired a car and driver, it was95/day but that included the driver's food and accommodation. The driver is the key thing though. My driver was a nice guy but he turned out to be phobic about getting his car (a Camry) dirty and driving up inclines, even though I had hired him to go to some remote sites. He also could not see well at night. He would say that the road was too rough for his car, but then we would see other Camrys going and coming back from where I wanted to go. Basically, I had to make him go to some places and that was not very pleasant to do. Anyway, just be sure to get a competent driver because you will be with him/her for several days.

• planxty's Profile Photo

by planxty Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 11:07 PM

The only possible drawback I can see to this plan is that you are unlikely to get a driver that knows the whole ocuntry intimately. For example, a driver from PP ,ay not know all the best places in the Angkor complex or Kampot whereas local drivers should be more knowledgeable. Other than that,60 (I presume that is US?) sounds a reasonable price.

Have a great trip and I hope this assists,

fergy.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Cambodia Travel Answer Locations