Cambodia Travel Answers

change location
seanmccurry's Profile Photo

Phnom Penh

by seanmccurry Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 2:13 PM

HI I'm wondering how much time I should spend in Phnom Penh. Will 2 nights be ok. Also where is a good area to stop backpackers prices. We like to have a drink at night so that too. thanks for your help.

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • wabat's Profile Photo

Re: Phnom Penh

by wabat Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Sean,
    If two nights translate into two Full days that will let you seen the main sights in town and also get out to killing fields.. Very poignant experience which you will remember for very long time.
    Lots of cafes bars along main drag by river s your well catered for there.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I suggest two full days will be enough. Join a day tour for a few dollars which should take in Toul Sleng school where they tortured people before killing them, the Killing Fields, the Russian Market, the Royal Palace, the National Museum, another market and possibly a firing range. The second day you could hang out by the riverside, explore the cafes or return to one of the places that the tour took you to. Plenty of places by the river to have a drink. I am afraid i can't help you with accommodation as i stayed lakeside but the lake has been filled in since then to make room for development.
    If you are there on a sunday it is interesting to go on the hash run. Meet at the station and a truck will transport you out of the city.
    http://www.p2h3.com/

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

by cachaseiro Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Two days will be enough to cover the main sights, but i would personally take 3 or 4 days if possible as it is a pretty interesting place.

For a really nice laid back bar with cheap beers and good atmosphere go for the Zeppelin bar.
    I have a little review of the place on this link:

Zeppelin bar.: "Laid back bar with vinyl records." - Phnom Penh Nightlife Tip by cachaseiro

• Re: Phnom Penh

by Borisborough Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 10:26 PM

As already mentioned, two full days (probably three nights) is required to see the killing fields and Tuol Sleng and then th epalcace and museum and waterfront. I think th ebest place to stay is around the area just behind FCC which is then walkable to the palace and the museum (we stayed at Her Royal Highness Hotel about 4 years ago - it was awful but cheap (USD10 for a double) but I assume it's closed down now). There are plenty of restaurants and bars just up the road from the FCC on the waterfront with good prices.

• wabat's Profile Photo

by wabat Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 10:35 PM

@Steve - loved your comment on Her Royal Highness Hotel - I can imagine what it was like lol.

• planxty's Profile Photo

by planxty Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 2:56 AM

It really depends on how much time you can afford in your total itinerary. I usually spend longer in PP but if you are pushed for time two full days would let you see most of the main sites. Allow a minumum half day to see S21 / Chuoung Ek (Killing Fields). It is harrowing but worthwhile I think.

I do like walking and I found PP to be very walkable, it is not that big realy and most of the sites are fairly central with the exception fo Chuounk Ek which you will need transport to get to.

I am told that the lakeside area used to be the backpacker area but, as David says, it might be changing now. I always stay round 51st Street and usually get a good deal on a room even as a walkup. Claus is right about the excellent Zeppelin Bar which is on 51st St. (we met in there once) and also that there are a few "girly" bars in that area. There are also some decent bars about but avoid the famous "Heart of Darkness", I really did not like that at all, it is a tourist trap.

The other main centre for drinking activities is along the reverfront, especially around sunset. Although it is not sheap you should treat yourself to one drink in the FCC about this time, it really feels rather decadent and special. the whole strip along there has as many bars (mostly traveller orientated) as you would ever need.

I have info on most of these things on my PP page here

"It's changed in some ways." - Phnom Penh by planxty

Hope this assists,

fergy.

• seanmccurry's Profile Photo

by seanmccurry Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 3:54 AM

Thanks for the replys, I've booked 2 nights may stay longer depending on how we like it there. We should hopefully arrive afternoon on a Saturday. Are the main tourist sites open on Sundays hope so. What is the FFC ?

Cheers

Sean

• planxty's Profile Photo

by planxty Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 4:03 AM

FCC is the Foreign Correspondents Club. It was where all the foreign journalists used to hang out years ago. It has a lovely location on the Preah Sisowath Quay (basically the Strand) and is a delightful old building with great views over the river.

by seanmccurry Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 4:21 AM

Thanks looks like a few beers in there taking in the views

by cachaseiro Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 5:24 AM

Another vote for the FCC here.
    It's a place that is both casual and has style at the same time.
    It still has a bit of colonial feel to it and you feel a bit like an old reporter with a typewriter when you are sitting on the balcony with a beer.

by seanmccurry Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Cheers VTers great info of u all. Only 4 weeks now and I will be flying from Manchester to HCMC cant come fast enough hopefully bump into some of u. Ill try the bars and more cheers

by cachaseiro Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I'm coming in to HCM on march 15 if you are in the area and wanna meet up for a drink.

Before that i will be 2 weeks underway from Hanoi and down.
    Will be working though and have very little time, but in the evening after 10pm i should have an hour or two.

by seanmccurry Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Sorry We will be in Siem Reap but thanks anyways. Will be heading back that way but not sure of the dates yet cheers. Sean

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Cambodia Travel Answer Locations