Cambodia Travel Answers

change location
DaHongHua's Profile Photo

Souvenir and Gift ?

by DaHongHua Online Now Dec 12, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Will be in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap soon. Someone please give me some idea what is the must buy item to bring home and the price.
Last time when I was in Bali, there are so many choice of printed T shirt. Are there also plenty of beautiful printed Cambodian T-shirt in Cambodia ? Thanks for your reply.

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • Moirads's Profile Photo

Re: Souvenir and Gift ?

by Moirads Online Now Dec 12, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Regarding the purchase of souvenirs and gifts, I feel that it is best not to buy several small (price) things for yourself unless you really, really like that item, but rather buy one better/more expensive/more suitable item that you will use and love and which will remind you of your trip.

It is difficult to advise on this kind of item because it is something that will be unique to you. Over the years the "souvenirs" that I have been most happy with have included the Swiss watch I bought in Switzerland, a book at a little bookshop in Soho, London, a vase from Harrods and a pair of shoes in Zimbabwe!

The most satisfying gifts have been the exact thing someone wants like the special request my niece made for some kind of chocolate (I forget the name - peanut butter cups?) from the USA. The look on her face when I opened my suitcase and gave them to her was worth it.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • muratkorman's Profile Photo

by muratkorman Online Now Dec 12, 2011 at 11:24 PM

In the old town of Siem Reap, you can find some souvenir shops with lots of variety and reasonable prices. If you take any tours, the tour operators will take you to touristic souvenir shops which charge 2-3 times more than the usual price. We took absara dancer figures and frames while we were there. I also got T-shirt of Angkor Wat as a souvenir. You will find more than what you expect. You can bargain and believe me it's cheap to get things over there. You can find some details in my Siem Reap page.

• schurman23's Profile Photo

by schurman23 Online Now Dec 13, 2011 at 1:15 AM

I bought key chains with apsara dancers, budha head images, books on Angkor and some delicacies as souvenirs coz I have to limited baggage space.

• stamporama's Profile Photo

by stamporama Online Now Dec 13, 2011 at 1:29 AM

Whether in Siem Reap or PP (or in the airports of either one), the best-quality souvenirs can be bought from Artisans Angkor. Aside from shirts, they have stone figures, toiletries, clothes, handicrafts, wood carvings, etc. See the link below:

Artisans Angkor: "Quality handicrafts sold here" - Phumi Siem Reab Shopping Tip by stamporama

• Nishk87's Profile Photo

by Nishk87 Online Now Dec 13, 2011 at 12:43 PM

The night market in Siam Reap is great if you want to buy small gifts. There is a silk factory in Siam Reap so silk (raw and fine) scarves and bags are popular in that area. You can purchase t-shirts with prints on them but I don't think you'll find many that are beautiful, rather they'll have slogans on them like 'No tuk tuks today' etc.

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

by AlbuqRay Online Now Dec 14, 2011 at 8:18 PM

In Phnom Penh I would recommend the Russian Market. There are many choices there. Among the things I purchased were silk purses ($8) and a decorative brass, nested teapot ($20). To support a good cause, try the People Improvement Organization shop/office near the Souvana Mall. They had beautiful beaded silk scarves made by the kids for20. In Siem Reap try the Old Market Annex. In particular, a lady named Tek has a booth inside the passage on the northwest side. Her prices are very reasonable. I bought a clever toy (ping pong paddle with moving chickens on top) for2 from her. Avoid or bargin hard at the outside booths in the Old Market facing the streets; their prices are definitely higher. Artisans d'Angkor has high quality, nice items but their prices are by far the highest. BTW, I bought a small trou (Cambodian musical instrument) at the market by Banteay Srei for8, but you can find trou's at many other places.

• Deng249's Profile Photo

by Deng249 Online Now Dec 15, 2011 at 6:42 PM

I was in Siem Reap last december. I bought some krama (traditional scarf) at the market. If I'm not mistaken, I bought it for about USD 3. They come in various colors, and make lovely gifts for ladies.

Other stuffs:
    1) All sorts of teas, e.g. lemongrass, jasmine, etc. They are packaged nicely as gift.
    2) Books on Angkor.
    3) Magnets...I like the ones made from photographs of Angkor.
    4) Bookmarks

I bought the bookmarks & magnets at the night market, at a stall set up by www.helpinghandscambodia.com, using photographs by Deborah Groves Photography.

• DaHongHua's Profile Photo

by DaHongHua Online Now Dec 24, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Hello friends who give replies earlier, thank you very much.
    JUMRIPSU - Greeting of Cambodian. I have done mu cambodia trip to Phnom Penh and Siem Reap. A must do in your life as Angkor Wat and Bayon Temple is ssssoooooooooo beautiful. We went to Russian Market, Fruit Market in Phnom Penh, Floating Art Shop on Tolee Sap Lake and New Art Market in Siem Reap. Bought a few good quality Embroid T-Shirts and printed cotton T-Shirt range from USD5-8. Got some small piece souvenir like key chains , magnets too. I really want to buy so I bargain for good price, some I got at half of the initial quote. Cheers.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Cambodia Travel Answer Locations