Cambodia Travel Answers

change location

Phnompenh and Siemrep in april

by Mellor125 Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 8:02 AM

I am plan to travel in Cambodia early April alone for 5 nights, any suggestion small hotel or hostels there? budget around 15 -20$/night.
Where should I visit in Phnompenh and Siemriep? I would love to join with group tour rather than private. any festival from 02 - 08 april, I don't like clowded places so any suggestions to avoid would be lovely.
great to get any recommendations
Thanks
Mellor

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

Re: Phnompenh and Siemrep in april

by AlbuqRay Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Mellor, I would recommend the Fancy Guest House in Phnom Penh and the Mandalay Inn in Siem Reap. The Mandalay Inn also has a small travel office that does tours. Under my Cambodia Favorite tips, I have two itineraries from 2009 and 2010. In 2009 I went to the more common attractions. In 2010 I visited some very remote sites; however, it does not seem like you have enough time to do these.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • milosstojanovic's Profile Photo

by milosstojanovic Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I have read a very good article about Phnom Penh, here's the link: backpackingtravelpages.com/?...">backpackingtravelpages.com/?...
    I hope it helped :)

• AngMimi's Profile Photo

by AngMimi Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Hi Mellor
    Nice to know you are planning to visit PP and SR
    So I start with Phnom Penh
    Hotel - Sundance Inn & Saloon
    Places to visit - Toul Sleng Genocide Museum, The Killing Fields, National Museum, Royal Palace, Central Market, Wat Phnom, as to name a few.

Siem Reap
    I highly recommend Golden Villa Temple, the hotel will help you to arrange your tour in SR. Places to visit - Angkor wat , Bayon temple, Ta Prohm, 3 places a must to see in SR for USD20 -1 day park admission fee. To avoid the crowds I would suggest you visit Bayon temple in the morning, less people as all will visit angkor wat to catch the sunrise. 1 day to visit Tonle Sap.
    I am not sure of any festival during 2-8 April but the Cambodia New Year will be on 14-16April.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I agree with AngMimi on place to see in Phnom Penh. I enjoyed the waterfront which comes alive with locals enjoying themselves at night."Phnom Penh 3/4/08 - 6/4/08" - Phnom Penh by balhannah
    Siem Reap, I would buy the 3 day temple pass. I enjoyed the Cultural village which has actual houses, a wax museum and traditional dances at set times. There are Wats to see and several markets. On my page I have details on the cultural museum.
    Khett Siem Reab Things to Do Tips by balhannah

Check the pages of people that have answered this question for tips.

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Good advice by Angmimi. In PP there are many agencies organizing tours of the attracations by minibus. You will met other tourists on the day trip. The tours cover all the important sites and you can return to any of them the next day if you feel like spending more time there.
    In Siem Reap spend a day at Angkor, the evening in pub street and catch the free Aspara dancing at the Temple Bar then spend the next day touring Ton Le Sap and see how the people live on the lake.

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

by IreneMcKay Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 5:32 PM

You have had good advice on where to visit already. In Phnompenh I would add visit the foreign correspondants club for meals/drinks/river views. The national museum was good 9can't remember if it's been mentioned) and there were some great colourful markets - we went to the Russian one. Penh Hill with its temple is also very good.

Siam Reap is absolutely fantastic - so much to see. Most of all I liked Ta Phrom as much of it was left uncleared of jungle. It's spectacular. You'll feel like Indiana Jones there.

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Ta Phrom is great and i suggest you visit this first before it is crowded (7am) as it really gets packed out later. Make sure you have good shoes as the steps at the temples are very steep indeed!!! Don't know how the locals scrambled up and down them centuries ago.. Ta Phrom is overgrown with trees and it is where they filmed part of Tomb Raider.Try to start your day as early as possible.

• hambone47's Profile Photo

by hambone47 Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Popular Guest House in Siem Reap. great location, great garden restaurant, cheap, close walking distance to a lot of shops and a big gang of tuktuk guys to take you to all the sites around Angkor Wat (a dusk mask is highly recommended) -- plus a great bunch of people staying there from the 4 corners.

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

by muratkorman Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 9:19 AM

When you are in Siem Reap, you should visit Angkor Wat for sure. You can check my Sieam Reap and Angkor Wat pages for some practical tips.

• Re: Phnompenh and Siemrep in april

by Mellor125 Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 1:30 AM

I read all the comments and advises. They are very useful information and will book with hotel before I traveled.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Cambodia Travel Answer Locations