Camagüey Travel Answers

change location

Visiting local schools

by GEORGIANBAY Online Now Nov 21, 2004 at 5:48 PM

As a retired teacher, I would like to visit one or some local schools. Is this permitted , encouraged or discouraged? If so, what would be best to take to give some students? Thanks for all advice.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • frecklesoup's Profile Photo

Re: Visiting local schools

by frecklesoup Online Now Nov 24, 2004 at 7:38 PM

Unfortunately I dont know the answer to your first question... My impression is that it would be welcomed. School children would be thrilled to get gifts of pencils, pens or paper. Really, any supplies that we take for granted will be appreciated there. Have a great time!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Soozay's Profile Photo

by Soozay Online Now Nov 26, 2004 at 4:22 PM

If you are interested in visiting a local school, let me know. I have a few teacher contacts in Havana.

• TOFFY's Profile Photo

by TOFFY Online Now Nov 27, 2004 at 5:26 PM

I have travelled extensively in Cuba, and I always visit schools on all trips. Try to get out into the countryside, either in a rented car or taxi. There, you will find one room schoolhouses, recognizable by the flag flying outside, and a bust of Jose Marti. When you enter the school, explain where you are from, and that you want to leave gifts for the school. They will invite you in, but it is unlikely they will open the package, as they are very humble. Try to take things that are good for the whole school - flash cards, coloured pencils, stapler, rulers, puppets, games, etc. All is welcome. Some things they will use as prizes for class games. After your visit, do not be afraid to ask if it is OK to take a photo. They will be pleased to do so. Have a great time. It is a wonderful experience.

• barrylee's Profile Photo

RE: Visiting local schools

by barrylee Online Now Dec 16, 2005 at 6:25 PM

Hi Georgianbay.I go to Cuba every year and bring something for the schools in that area.One thing that I was told is if you have something for the children themselves you must have one for every child.There are often more than 200 children in a school.Paper,pencils, pens,crayons ,bat and balls.They may ask you to sign a paper to prove where it came from.I just got back from Brisas Santa Lucia 3 days ago and brought things to a school there.Enjoy your trip,They are a wonderful people. Barry

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines