California Travel Answers

change location

Las Vegas to Monterey

by dandino Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I'm travelling with my wife from Las Vegas to Monterey, CA in March then making the return trip 4 days later.
Looking for a couple of stopover suggestions to break up the driving. Does anyone have suggestions for a small town with a bit of character that would make a good overnight stopover?

Thanks

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Agraichen's Profile Photo

Re: Las Vegas to Monterey

by Agraichen Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Hmmm.... I don't envy that drive. The options for "stopping" may not be that good. It's a good 8 hour drive (525 miles +/-). You could cut over on Hwy 58 just outside of Bakersfield and stay in Santa Margarita, San Luis Obispo or Paso Robles making the trip a bit longer.

Also for the cross over, consider Hwy 198 west from Coalinga as opposed to Hwy 152 in Los Banos. Hwy 152 is a nice drive but 198 cuts a bit of time off the drive.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Las Vegas to Monterey

by ltt Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 9:42 AM

a couple of suggestions, depending upon your likes/dislikes
    las vegas to death valley national park - an easy 2 1/2 hour drive. spend the rest of the day enjoying that unique area. i liked furnace creek ranch - nice pool to enjoy - it's expensive to stay in the park. highly recommend the tour at scotty's castle. the spring desert flowers should be out by then. then get up early and possibly hit a view point for the gorgeous sunrise then head off for monterey. that would be a long driving day but as i say, if death valley interests you, it's a beautiful spot. and driving the coast road is so gorgeous, you won't be bored.
    other places to consider on the drive there or the drive back...san luis obisop, ojai, santa barbara

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines