California Travel Answers

change location
NichW's Profile Photo

From LA - Drive up (and down) to Seattle or Canada, or stay in California-Nevada? (within 12 days)

by NichW Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Our favorite activities would generally be under the categories of Shopping and Sightseeing.

My wife is ~four months pregnant so physical activity would be somewhat limited, though we do enjoy the outdoors. Flat trail hiking perhaps but no mountain climbing or the like. How should we approach this trip - we hope to at least see LA, SF, Yosemite and beautiful beaches and forests. Heard Oregon is quite beautiful though.

Thanks in advance.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

Re: From LA - Drive up (and down) to Seattle or Canada, or stay in California-Nevada? (within 12 days)

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 5:39 AM

A couple of questions that you will probably want to answer to get more accurate information. Are you going to rent a car? (I'm assuming that your answer here is yes since it is part of your question.) What airport are you planning to fly into and out of? What time of year are you planning your trip?

That's a lot of ground to cover in a 12 day period of time. Depending on the time of day the drive from Los Angeles to San Francisco can be from 4 to 6 hours. San Francisco to Yosemite is about a 3 hour drive. It's been a while since I've been to Oregon, but it is very green close to the coast as it does get plenty of moisture from the Pacific Ocean.

I'm not a shopper so can't tell you much about that although in San Francisco proper the Union Square area is where people go to shop. In San Francisco there are lots of hills, but you can take the cable cars and various other forms of public transportation to get around town. I would spend a minimum of 3 to 4 days in San Francisco. You really don't need a car in San Francisco and will pay a fortune in parking if you stay at a hotel right in the city. I'm not a big fan of Los Angeles, but again most people visiting it for the first time probably want to spend about 3 days there.

Spend a minimum of 2 days in Yosemite and look for rooms to stay outside of the park. They have places to stay inside the park, but they are very expensive.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • marinarena's Profile Photo

by marinarena Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 7:06 AM

NichW wrote:
    Our favorite activities would generally be under the categories of Shopping and Sightseeing.

My wife is ~four months pregnant so physical activity would be somewhat limited, though we do enjoy the outdoors. Flat trail hiking perhaps but no mountain climbing or the like. How should we approach this trip - we hope to at least see LA, SF, Yosemite and beautiful beaches and forests. Heard Oregon is quite beautiful though.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

tough choice. If driving as much as 24 hours to Seattle (from LA) doesn't bother you and your pregnant wife, go for CA-WA. I fell in love with Seattle as a gorgeous natural city and the WA landscape. For the LA trip, shopping and sightseeing would be best in nearby Beverly Hills and Pasadena. For the beach, Santa Monica would work (also a great spot to shop) and Malibu. Coastal SF area is wonderful. You may just want to stop in Oregon for a while, a day or so, then head up to Seattle

1 member found this helpful

• glabah's Profile Photo

Re: From LA - Drive up (and down) to Seattle or Canada, or stay in California-Nevada? (within 12 days)

by glabah Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 8:01 AM

I have put my Oregon Coast information here:
    "Oregon Coast: Pacific Wonderland" - Oregon Things to Do Tip by glabah
    and some of the state parks information here:
    "Oregon Coast State Parks" - Oregon Things to Do Tip by glabah

My Washington Coast stuff is here:
    "Washington Coast and All That" - Washington State Things to Do Tip by glabah

assuing, of course, you were planning to take the coast most of the way up rather than go inland and hit Portland and the Willamette Valley.

There is quite a variety along the Oregon coast, from easy walks to quite difficult.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Quite a road trip to go from Los Angeles to as far north as Canada. Remember that a one way car rental may cost you more than a round trip return to rental site. If you go one way, you can save money if it is a major car rental firm that has a car from Seattle that you could reserve and take without a one way drop off charge. Ask when you reserve a car. There is so much to see and even do that to do properly would take at least a week longer, but if you want highlights that are a bit different and may please you as a tourist, then go for it. Shopping can be a full time activity as well as sightseeing, so depending on your tastes in shopping and sightseeing the best way is to check out the Virtual Tourist Travel Guides for the cities via a roadmap so that you can pick out possible places to visit, as the reviews from VTers give you insight into all activities. I can give you a few of my favorite things to see and do in California with a few of my VT Travel Pages: See my VT California page for my suggestions: Just click on the highlighted BLUE location names for my take on a few of my favorite locations in California. VT webpage: "CALIFORNIA, I LIVE HERE." - California Favorite Tip by travelgourmet

• NichW's Profile Photo

by NichW Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Thank you everyone for the information. We have decided to take it slow and see how she feels after SF. I would love to go north, but from your info it might just a little bit of a rush if we make a round trip - especially since she wants to shop. Less physical/more fiscal activities!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular California Travel Answer Locations