California Travel Answers

change location
NichW's Profile Photo

Where can i find a relatively 'cool' hot spring ( 98F) for my pregnant wife?

by NichW Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 7:46 AM

We heard there are hundreds of hot springs throughout Cali and would like to visit at least one. Hopefully there are a few that have moderately warm waters that will not be dangerous.

Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Re: Where can i find a relatively 'cool' hot spring ( 98F) for my pregnant wife?

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Combine a visit to the Napa Valley with a hot spring. You can get great food, wine tasting, scenery and hot springs in Calistoga. Here's the web site. calistogavisitors.com/calist...

Enjoy our home state.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

Re: Where can i find a relatively 'cool' hot spring ( 98F) for my pregnant wife?

by travelgourmet Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I do know that you must be careful with hot spring water for anyone, but when a woman is pregnant, extreme care must be taken. Most of the ones I know must be in a hot zone of 101* and 104* for health reasons. Check with your doctor for the temp and time in the spring that is safe for a pregnant women and at what stage of the pregnancy is safe. I have visited the Sycamore mineral Springs, located between Pismo Beach and Downtown San Luis Obispo on Avila Beach Drive, in the central coast area of California. A great area for visiting the beaches of Avila or Pismo. The Sycamore Mineral Springs have been around a long time and you can even stay in their accommodations for the total experience. It is a true getaway and very calming. It may seem a little expensive, but the prices are in line with a full service mineral springs resort. their "Gardens of Avila" restaurant is excellent. Even day mineral springs tubs only cost between 15-20 dollars an hour, unless you find a "in the wild" hot springs, temperature unknown. You could even stay nearby in the Best Western See:
    http://www.sycamoresprings.com/
    There are other hot springs in California, mostly in the wild and many that meet your TF of 98* jor below.and they are listed as to location and to TF or TC. There are several in the San Luis Obispo area, if you desire this area. Best wishes. :-) See: hotspringsenthusiast.com/Cal...

• vtveen's Profile Photo

by vtveen Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I know about two hot springs in California. Sorry, but don't know their temperatures.

1. Travertine Hot Springs, nearby Bridgeport, along Highway 395 in the middle of the 'wilderness'.
    ( flickr.com/photos/vtveen/673...
    2. Tecopa Hot Springs (nearby Death Valley NP). We had a room in the 'resort' with almost a private spa. This one was absolutely not dangerous.

happy travles
    Jaap

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Beausoleil wrote:
    Combine a visit to the Napa Valley with a hot spring. You can get great food, wine tasting, scenery and hot springs in Calistoga. Here's the web site. calistogavisitors.com/calist...

Enjoy our home state.      This would be my sugguestion also, just love the place and it's next to wine country.  The Calistoga Spa and Resort had large pools with both hot and cold temperatures, I think they have three if I remember correctly and is fed by the hot springs.  Enjoy your stay      cheers tommy x

• Rixie's Profile Photo

by Rixie Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 1:49 PM

ACOG (the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists) does not recommend that pregnant women use hot tubs, because of the possible danger to the baby, and I would imagine the same applies to hot springs. The problem is that it's hard to determine what the "safe zone" is, when there are multiple factors to consider: the temperature of the water, the mom's body temperature, and the length of time she spends in the water.

I know this wasn't the answer you were looking for, but why take a chance with your baby's well-being? I'm sure that you and your wife have been doing everything in your power so far to nurture and protect your baby, so there's no reason to stop now.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Listen to Rixie....OK? It would matter a great deal just how pregnant she is........

That aside, perhaps if you give us an idea of what your itinerary is going to be, we could find you the hot springs that co-operate with that itinerary. Otherwise answers will be just random, - good, but random..........d:o)

• NichW's Profile Photo

by NichW Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Thank you for all your answers. I appreciate the concern, and we do share some of the apprehension, but it's really hard to ignore the temptation of all these beautiful natural springs!

At the very worst she can dip her toes and enjoy the beautiful scenery and wonderful Californian outdoors. Of course, it would be even more perfect if we do find a moderately warm spring - for a cautious period of course.

• Rixie's Profile Photo

by Rixie Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Wishing you a memorable trip!

• atufft's Profile Photo

by atufft Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 8:47 PM

The above recommendations for Calistoga, which is in the Napa Valley, are good, as this is the most famous place with plenty of hot water. You can moderate the temperature at some of them by either controlling a tap or choosing which pool to climb into. Many of these places have websites, or you can visit my tips for Calistoga to learn a little more.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular California Travel Answer Locations