Calabria Travel Answers

change location

transport airports and Gioia Tauro

by Dennisemo Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 1:19 PM

best way to get from lamezia terme airport and reggio airport to gioia tauro. which is more convenient? is there train service? thanks

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: transport airports and Gioia Tauro

by leics Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Yes, there is a train from Lamezia Terme to Giara Tauro. You can find train times, details and fares in English on the official Italian railway website here:

trenitalia.com/homepage_en.h...

Journey time is from 38 minutes and one-way fare from 5.15 euro (both depend on departure time and type of train). No need to buy tickets in advance online: ticket machines are easy to use and generally have English language options, and there are also ticket offices.

For bus transport from the airport to Lamezia Terme station look at:

lameziamultiservizi.it/index...

for a pdf download of the timetable.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM

from both airports there are NO trains only buses or cars
    you find the one from Reggio Calabria here www.atam.rc.it

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Yes, there is rail service to Gioia Tauro. And yes, you can take a train to it from either Lamezia Terme Centrale train station or Reggio di Calabria Centrale train station.

To get from Lamezia airport to Lamezia Centrale, I assume you take a bus for the very short ride...look at the airport's website, but such intermodal connections would be normal.

Even though the rail line runs along the airport property at the Reggio airport, there doesn't seem to be a stop there, according to the airport's website. So, again, I assume good bus links from the airport into town. While Centrale is not the closest station, it often happens that it may be more convenient because more trains stop there, especially ones going up the coast a ways...

So look at the airports' websites, and also look at www.trenitalia.com (English at the top), and see if you can see all this for yourself.

Which one is more convenient? I don't know, having never been to that part of Italy. But I see that there appear to be somewhat more connections from Reggio than from Lamezia Terme, but it will be 45 minutes to an hour and 15 minutes in either case, depending on which trains you take.

Bill

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM

buses line # from Reggio's airport to railstations and viceversa are 27 and 28
    by train, if you had to go to the Port of Gioia Tauro maybe better stop at Rosarno

1 member found this helpful

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 6:52 AM

I forgot... you won't  be far from Capo Vaticano, imho one of the best beach of Italy

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Calabria Travel Answer Locations