Cajamarca Travel Answers

change location
Smruti's Profile Photo

Cajamarca-worth it?

by Smruti Online Now Dec 23, 2004 at 1:44 AM

I am trying to decide my Peru travel plans- we'll be there in February and apparently due to cleanup plans, the Inca Trail is only open for two days. I thought it would be nice to get off the "Gringo Trail" and try for a relatively untouristy part of Peru. Can the hot springs at Banos del Inca, the "window" tombs and the Water Channel and Cajamarca itself fill up 2-3 days?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Cajamarca-worth it?

by matthew25 Online Now Dec 23, 2004 at 2:26 PM

hello, my name is matthew, i am in bolivia then argentina ,brasil, and back to peru in febuary. can you tell me when the inca trail is open those two days in febuary. if you know of course. thanks alot

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Cajamarca-worth it?

by gonow321 Online Now Dec 23, 2004 at 3:41 PM

Hi. Yes, Cajamarca is well worth a two or three day visit. It's one of the better preserved northern andean cities and there's lots to see. If you're thinking of February, then you'll be there for Carnavel, which is well worth it. Very festive. One thing you should know is that while it's summer on the coast it's winter in the mountains, so that probably means some rain and cold weather at night. Something to keep in mind. Also, given that there are some difficulties between the local population and the Newmont mining corporation, there have been roadblocks and stuff like that. You wouldn't really want to identify youself as a U.S. citizen. Whatever you decide, good luck on your trip. Jaime

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Cajamarca