Cairo

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Travel during election time

by Bon213 Online Now Apr 5, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I am a 56 year old mother who will be traveling with my son (30) and his friend (24) to Sharm May 24-31, then plan on spending 4 days in Cairo, May 31-June 4. With the upcoming elections, what are your thoughts as far as safety/timing? We are all American citizens

more
    • Is it safe to visit Cairo?

by aqua83me2 Online Now Apr 3, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Hi, we are planning a trip in August and have a stop-over at Cairo for 13 hours (12:30 pm - 2 am) and 17 hours (6 am - 8:45pm) both ways. I was thinking about doing the Museum on one day and the Pyramids / Sphinx on the other. Could you please tell me if it is safe to travel outside to the city? I read an article which said that the Egyptian government is wooing tourists to visit places like Luxor and Aswan, but are not promoting Cairo. Also would you advice that we do both on the same day?

more
    • 18 year old in Cairo

by globetrotta Online Now Mar 17, 2014 at 12:33 PM

I am thinking of taking a week's work placement in Cairo this coming October and (although I am 17 now) will just be 18 by the time of the trip. I am British and have not travelled there before. I will stay with an employee (a lawyer), whom I have not met before, at a reputable energy firm via a connection from my father's work. My father is of asian descent and so is not as worried as my mother, who thinks it would be too dangerous for a white male of my age given the current situation in Egypt and Cairo especially. Is she right? Or will I be okay if I stay close to my host?

more
    • Should I visit Cairo?

by hongsolo Online Now 19 hours ago

Greetings, I am thinking visiting Cairo to see the Pyramids and such a couple days after the elections? Is this advisable? Will is be safe after the elections? Thanks for any advice and help you can give me.

more
    • UNSURE AND SCARED

by nishafranco81 Online Now Apr 2, 2014 at 5:12 AM

Just really frightened by whats going on in cairio , i fly out on the 16th May and have been told that the elections take place 26th-27th may i am going there to get married , i actually dont know what to do , this is the only time i have off from work and need to do this this year , my flights are booked , can anyone shed somelight as to their thoughts please

more
    • One big day in Cairo.

by twismar Online Now Mar 20, 2014 at 2:12 AM

I would like to arrive in Cairo at 7am, visit the pyramids, then return to the airport for a flight leaving at 11pm. This would be on Wednesday, April 9th. I know traffic will be bad from the airport to the pyramids. Do you think it will be enough time? Would it be safe? Should I find a taxi to take me to the pyramids or should I set up a guide in advance to meet me at the airport?
      Thank you so much for your help.

more
    • Should I visit Cairo?

by hongsolo Online Now 19 hours ago

Greetings, I am thinking visiting Cairo to see the Pyramids and such a couple days after the elections? Is this advisable? Will is be safe after the elections? Thanks for any advice and help you can give me.

3 Answers 2 hours ago
    • Travel during election time

by Bon213 Online Now Apr 5, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I am a 56 year old mother who will be traveling with my son (30) and his friend (24) to Sharm May 24-31, then plan on spending 4 days in Cairo, May 31-June 4. With the upcoming elections, what are your thoughts as far as safety/timing? We are all American citizens

1 Answer Apr 5, 2014 at 2:10 PM
    • Is it safe to visit Cairo?

by aqua83me2 Online Now Apr 3, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Hi, we are planning a trip in August and have a stop-over at Cairo for 13 hours (12:30 pm - 2 am) and 17 hours (6 am - 8:45pm) both ways. I was thinking about doing the Museum on one day and the Pyramids / Sphinx on the other. Could you please tell me if it is safe to travel outside to the city? I read an article which said that the Egyptian government is wooing tourists to visit places like Luxor and Aswan, but are not promoting Cairo. Also would you advice that we do both on the same day?

2 Answers Apr 4, 2014 at 4:37 AM
    • UNSURE AND SCARED

by nishafranco81 Online Now Apr 2, 2014 at 5:12 AM

Just really frightened by whats going on in cairio , i fly out on the 16th May and have been told that the elections take place 26th-27th may i am going there to get married , i actually dont know what to do , this is the only time i have off from work and need to do this this year , my flights are booked , can anyone shed somelight as to their thoughts please

3 Answers Apr 3, 2014 at 4:53 PM
    • One big day in Cairo.

by twismar Online Now Mar 20, 2014 at 2:12 AM

I would like to arrive in Cairo at 7am, visit the pyramids, then return to the airport for a flight leaving at 11pm. This would be on Wednesday, April 9th. I know traffic will be bad from the airport to the pyramids. Do you think it will be enough time? Would it be safe? Should I find a taxi to take me to the pyramids or should I set up a guide in advance to meet me at the airport?
      Thank you so much for your help.

8 Answers Mar 22, 2014 at 2:46 PM
    • 18 year old in Cairo

by globetrotta Online Now Mar 17, 2014 at 12:33 PM

I am thinking of taking a week's work placement in Cairo this coming October and (although I am 17 now) will just be 18 by the time of the trip. I am British and have not travelled there before. I will stay with an employee (a lawyer), whom I have not met before, at a reputable energy firm via a connection from my father's work. My father is of asian descent and so is not as worried as my mother, who thinks it would be too dangerous for a white male of my age given the current situation in Egypt and Cairo especially. Is she right? Or will I be okay if I stay close to my host?

2 Answers Mar 22, 2014 at 3:10 PM
    • Are females safe in Egypt?

by travelgirl95 Online Now Mar 13, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Hi, I am a 19 year old Canadian girl wanting to go to Cairo at the end of May for 2 weeks. I would fly there alone but my male Egyptian friend (who I trust a lot) would pick me up at the airport and be with me for the rest of the trip. Will I be safe given the current situation in Egypt? Is the harassment towards women as bad as the media makes it seem?
      Also, would jeans and a tshirt be appropriate dress code when in public?

8 Answers Mar 22, 2014 at 3:35 PM
    • What to do in Cairo (& it's surroundings)

by sweetsoul22 Online Now Feb 26, 2014 at 10:35 AM

I am going to Cairo for 7 days (inshaAllah), if anybody could suggest to me places to visit or things to do in Cairo & it's surroundings it would be great!:)

I know there are lots & lots of things online already about the subject but the more the better ^^

Also, I would love to visit the most famous sites, amongst them, Temples of Abou Simble, do you know what's the cheapest way to go there?

9 Answers Mar 24, 2014 at 3:29 PM
    • easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Cairo Airport

by easterntrekker Online Now Feb 23, 2014 at 7:35 AM

We are torn about booking a flight with Eqypt Air that has a change of planes in Cairo...like to hear fro anyone who has been through that airport lately. I 'm concerned about the uprising situation.
      It's a better connection to South Africa and $400.00 all toll less expensive.
      Appreciate your response. Thnaks

11 Answers Feb 26, 2014 at 9:14 AM
    • Snowball1317's Profile Photo

I was wondering if it is safe to travel to Cairo, Egypt

by Snowball1317 Online Now Feb 19, 2014 at 4:09 PM

I would like to go visit there someday like in one to two years from now and would it be safe to travel there?

11 Answers Feb 26, 2014 at 9:19 AM
    • Terminal 1 Cairo International Airport

by Sofiamg Online Now Feb 18, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Good morning/night/ afternoon everyone

Can someone please tell me where can I find photos or videos of terminal 1 of Cairo international airport??
      I've been searching on the web but I havent found anything.. not even on the airport's official website... I only find videos or photos of the new terminal (terminal 3) .
      Please if someone has photos or videos or anything it would be so helpful!

Thanks in advance

5 Answers Feb 24, 2014 at 7:23 AM
    • Travelling to Egypt 5-19 March

by wongcindia Online Now Feb 16, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Hi, I am a woman from Hong Kong, I will be staying in Bonne Vie Hotel (6 October El Ferdous City In Front of Dream Land, 6th Of October) for a workshop that will take place in Hilton Pyramid Golf Resort (DREAMLAND, EL WAHAT ROAD). I just wonder if it is safe for me to take the ~25 mins walk every morning at 8am and at night 9pm? Is it safe and easy to take a taxi from Hilton back to Bonne Vie Hotel? I am asking because I will probably be alone.

2 Answers Feb 17, 2014 at 2:34 AM
    • Cairo tourism : safety for women

by sweetsoul22 Online Now Feb 16, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Hello, next march, I have the plan to visit Cairo (inshallah) with my sister, so I would like to ask the locals, if it's a safe place to be for young women travelling by themselves? Being maghrebian, I know that in some maghrebian countries, women ("foreigners" mainly) going out alone are usually harassed by men...So I would like to ask if it's also the case for Cairo. I'm not talking about exceptions but more like if it happens n a regular basis. I am sorry if It might sound very stereotypical for some but that's the reason why I am asking.

Also do you know if all the tourists attractions are open in Cairo besides the political tension? Such as Giza Pyramids, etc

7 Answers Feb 26, 2014 at 9:22 AM
    • csuresh's Profile Photo

Easy Question - visit to Cairo

by csuresh Online Now Feb 8, 2014 at 4:20 AM

Initially I wanted to visit many places in Egypt (Luxor etc.), but due to various reasons want to restrict travel to Cairo. If I have 3 full days what should be my itinerary. I will visit Giza Pyramids, Sphinx, Nile river and one shopping area to get a view of locals - want to ask a question to get more tips. I am planning to go in May this year and security advise in government websites are still not what I want to see. Locals can advise me if being within Cairo is 100% safe. I will visit with my wife and 2 daughters of 5 and 8 years.

4 Answers Feb 11, 2014 at 11:29 PM
    • From Cairo To Sharm El Sheikh

by sweetsoul22 Online Now Feb 5, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Hello, I would like to know what is the cheapest way to go from Cairo to Sharm El Sheikh?
      I have read online that there was a bus system which can be found in Tahrer Square, could you give me more informations or other suggestions?

4 Answers Feb 6, 2014 at 5:53 AM
    • Traveling in the middle ofFebruary!

by willnyc Online Now Feb 1, 2014 at 8:18 AM

I am planing a trip to cairo for a few days in two weeks. I'd like to know if the pyramids are open to tourist it has been my dream to go there! also how safe is this days in Cairo and surroundings.
      Thank you in advance for your help!

10 Answers Feb 12, 2014 at 4:41 PM
    • Safety for college age students visiting Cairo

by queenvictoriavi Online Now Jan 30, 2014 at 12:23 AM

A few friends and I wanted to visit Cairo and possibly Luxor for a few days in March. We know there was bombing last week to commemorate the uprising two years ago. Would we be safe without adults? We are college-aged.

6 Answers Feb 1, 2014 at 4:08 PM
    • Housing in Heliopolis

by pupuce Online Now Jan 29, 2014 at 6:44 AM

Hi there! for someone that is going to work nearby El Maahed El Eshtraky and without car facilities, which area would you recommend to find a flat? within heliopolis itself or else? for a woman alone is heliopolis a safe area? many thanks for your input

10 Answers Feb 4, 2014 at 6:45 PM
    • Study cairo

by delta1437 Online Now Jan 28, 2014 at 1:49 AM

i am possibly wanting to come down to cairo for about two months to study some course in the American University in Cairo,is it safe as of now? as i heard there are a lot of explosions and people getting shot and all.
      also is nasr city area a safe area? if not which are better areas to live in?

3 Answers Feb 1, 2014 at 4:21 PM
    • Bussines trip to Cairo 6th October

by djavo1 Online Now Jan 21, 2014 at 1:57 AM

Hello all,

I am supposed to travel to Cairo, actually to the city of 6th October for some commissioning work. I'll be there for 4 weeks in February. Does anyone know about some safety issues regarding this part of the city. Anyone there right now who could give me some advice.

BR

4 Answers Jan 22, 2014 at 1:38 PM
    • Safe to visit Cairo?

by laurzee89 Online Now Jan 15, 2014 at 4:03 AM

We have a holiday booked for April, one week in Cairo to visit in/around the sites.

We have paid a huge portion of the total holiday cost, and it looks unlikely that we can get any of it back unless the UK Government declares that it is unsafe to go.

Will we be safe travelling (I appreciate no-one knows what will be happening in April, but appreciate any comments from people who have been very recently) or should we cut our losses and lose our money?

If we do go, any advice on how to stay as safe as possible also greatly received.

Thanks

Laura

9 Answers Jan 15, 2014 at 1:57 PM
    • JP15's Profile Photo

1 and half week trip :) Safe?

by JP15 Online Now Jan 12, 2014 at 4:36 AM

Hello All,

Im trying to take a trip to Cairo in March or April 2014. Is it safe to visit there as an American, I hear lots of negative things on the news which i know not to listen to but I though Id ask you all?

-Jay

7 Answers Jan 18, 2014 at 12:20 AM
    • coppi9's Profile Photo

Suggested 3 week iteniery

by coppi9 Online Now Dec 12, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Hello Egypt experts!

Greetings from Italy and nice to meet you.
      I plan to travel to Egypt in late January 2014 for 3 wks and
      would like to hear your advice.

I enjoy historical sights/small villages (not so interested
      in European beach resorts) and would love to include
      a 2-4 day side trip to Jordan from Sinai via ferry.
      Thanks in advance and would love to hear from you soon.

Ciao e a presto!

Paul Kim from Italy

8 Answers Jan 15, 2014 at 2:17 PM
    • Is it safe in Cairo now?

by saugata41 Online Now Dec 8, 2013 at 3:59 AM

To all seasoned Egyptologists here.
      I am planning to visit Cairo in January 2014 for a week or so and I intend to cover Cairo, Nile Cruise (Aswan/Hurghada), Luxor, Alexandria and Sharm El Sheikh.
      I know one can not foretell the future, but considering the current situation, does it look like to be a good time for the foreign tourists to visit this summer?
      Also, can anyone help me out to give a readymade itinerary for 7 days and a rough indication of cost?

14 Answers Dec 29, 2013 at 11:04 AM
    • Private tour Cairo

by Jessicanyc Online Now Nov 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I will be travelling to Cairo next week and was wondering if anyone can recommend a company or tour guide that does private tours of the pyramids and is knowledgeable about the city. I would feel safer before I left knowing a guide would be able to show me around the city. Thank you VT friends!

6 Answers Jan 15, 2014 at 2:16 PM
    • Appropriate attire for females

by Jessicanyc Online Now Nov 15, 2013 at 8:39 AM

What is the preferred attire for woman tourists? I don't want to offend the customs of the country. I am a female american and wanted to know if I should cover my head to be respectful to the culture. Thanks!

8 Answers Nov 27, 2013 at 6:54 AM
    • Two dyas in Cairo

by CarolMCD Online Now Nov 10, 2013 at 6:50 AM

My husband, son (11yrs) and I are doing an around the world flight in March/April 2014. We are considering going to Cairo, but being an American and having a child with me I have some concerns. My husband, who is Irish and I travelled the world by bicycle and stayed in Egypt for 3 months 15 years ago. We used to be hardened travelers, but a bit soft around the edges now. Really I am just concerned for my son. I would love to take him to the Pyramyds and a bizzar, nothing crazy. I feel the American government always has warnings for us, but I don't want to take any unnecessary risks with my son and in this case I would like a second opion. Any info is appreciated!! Thanks.

6 Answers Dec 1, 2013 at 8:37 AM
    • belindauk's Profile Photo

sharm to cairo by air?

by belindauk Online Now Nov 5, 2013 at 12:33 AM

I am due to visit sharm 5th of jan and it is my first time in Eypgt. I know the trial was on the 4th of Nov with no outcome to an end of the unrest e.g protests and riots. Due to trial adjourned until the 8th of Jan by this time I will be 3 days into my holiday. I would love to visit Cairo, Luxor and Giza to see the pyramids, I am taking my mum with me (67). Any adivce would be really helpful. As although the news covers alot of the riots/protests I do believe that they like to fear people and always show the worst. I have read on other travel sites that its pretty quiet in Cairo ie protest and riots. People are going about their normal day to day activites. Is this the case? does anyone on here know of any good tour guides?
      Thnak you

19 Answers Nov 6, 2013 at 1:49 PM
    • Cost and others

by blajuanbla Online Now Oct 31, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Hi!
      I will go to travel the next year. I want to know any things...

If I want to go to Cairo for 5 days, how much money I must having is...?
      Where can I stay?

Thanks...!

6 Answers Dec 23, 2013 at 9:29 AM
    • Travel in January 2014

by Ishana Online Now Oct 28, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I intend staying 5 days in Cairo during Mid Jaunuary 2014. Will it be safe to travel then?

2 Answers Nov 6, 2013 at 1:06 PM