Cairo Travel Answers

change location

taxi fares

by Shashini Online Now Feb 1, 2012 at 4:02 AM

Hi, Im planing to travel in Egypt. I would like to know about the Taxi fares in Cairo. Can I walk and see the important places? And also how about the buses in Cairo?
I need a early respone..

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • KakapoTheParrot's Profile Photo

Re: taxi fares

by KakapoTheParrot Online Now Feb 1, 2012 at 4:32 AM

In general, I don't think people have a problem with taxis in Cairo. It's quite common to ask the driver to come and pick you up later after visiting places. If the driver knows there's repeat business then he's much less likely to try to overcharge you. Arranging to use the same driver several days in a row can also help.

I've never tried to use buses in Cairo. I think you'd probably need a local to guide you through the mechanics of it. The big difference is that in the tourist areas the taxi drivers are likely to speak enough English to sort out where you want to go. Bus drivers are much less likely or interested in trying to. You might try a bus for adventure's sake but I think if your time is limited then you would find it's not cost effective.

Walking between some of the places might be an option but just look at a map. The Giza plateau is about 8 miles from El-Tahrir Square, Saqqara is about 20 miles. Added to that crossing roads in Cairo is bordering on suicidal ;-)

I haven't walked through Cairo for years (last visit was with a guide), but I do remember a fairly relentless level of hassle from locals. The sight of a lone tourist, without a guide seemed to just be an invitation to try and sell you something. Actually, taxi drivers are often the most persistent. One of the benefits of a guide is that it means other potential guides of varying levels of legitimacy leave you alone.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Dan30's Profile Photo

by Dan30 Online Now Feb 8, 2012 at 4:37 AM

When I was in Cairo in Late September 2011) I used Cairo: Shuttle Service I booked over the phone – they wrote my full name and took my flight no) informed them which terminal I land on.
    I would use them again if I was returning to Cairo:
    I will give you another tip) when you are buying your visa from Cairo airport) you have buy from the bank) go to the national bank of Egypt) they have best exchange rates – also your visa will cost 15 USD.

Here is the web site of Taxi
    http://www.cairoshuttlebus.com/

• saints76's Profile Photo

by saints76 Online Now Feb 13, 2012 at 4:17 AM

we paid no more than 20 egp to cross the city there are no tourists in cairo at this time so just name your price if the driver does not agree then walk away there are many taxis. we were there in oct 2011 and used the little black taxis they are a little rough but cheap and good fun to get to the pyramids we took the metro to giza station and then a cab for 30 egp

• Re: taxi fares

by keridi Online Now Feb 14, 2012 at 7:19 AM

I am living in Cairo at present have been here since August last year. A couple of pieces of advice - Cairo is huge!!! If you have access to a shuttle or hotel taxi I would use it especially if you are not very confident or a female it may cost a little more but taxis in general will rip you off as a tourist.
    If you get into a taxi make sure they have a meter. Many don't, particularly the black ones. They also try and hide it and say they dont speak English and offer to take you for a large amount of money. If you say no and start walking away they may come down but there are plenty of taxis around so you will find one that will use a meter. They also dont read maps. They will usually know the main tourist sites. Generally a 5min trip should cost approx 5-7LE. The metro (train) costs about a pound. Buses I have not used mainly because they are so packed with people.
    Be careful if you are walking around by yourself stick to busy streets and be careful crossing the road. Cars often slow down to let you accross the road.

• Re: taxi fares

by keridi Online Now Feb 14, 2012 at 7:19 AM

I am living in Cairo at present have been here since August last year. A couple of pieces of advice - Cairo is huge!!! If you have access to a shuttle or hotel taxi I would use it especially if you are not very confident or a female it may cost a little more but taxis in general will rip you off as a tourist.
    If you get into a taxi make sure they have a meter. Many don't, particularly the black ones. They also try and hide it and say they dont speak English and offer to take you for a large amount of money. If you say no and start walking away they may come down but there are plenty of taxis around so you will find one that will use a meter. They also dont read maps. They will usually know the main tourist sites. Generally a 5min trip should cost approx 5-7LE. The metro (train) costs about a pound. Buses I have not used mainly because they are so packed with people.
    Be careful if you are walking around by yourself stick to busy streets and be careful crossing the road. Cars often slow down to let you accross the road.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines