Cairo Travel Answers

change location

Can unmarried couple ( Egyptian & Foreigner) stay in the same room???

by unity2marina Online Now Jul 8, 2007 at 12:49 PM

Hello All

I have a plan to go to Egypt in this August to visit my egyptian boyfriend. Cairo is the first ciy that we will visit. So I worry about the hotel issue that unmarried couple cannot stay in the same room in the hotel..is there any hotel that allow us to stay together? We are not married yet but we are going to be engaged wihin this trip. I really don't want to spend more money to open one more room in every hotel we will visit. Is it gonna be restricted like this in every cities because we have plan to go to Alexandria and other cities as well. Can anyone suggest any other way out for this problem? Or opening two rooms is the only best solution? Your suggestion will be very appreciated.

Quote & Answer
14 Answers
  • Re: Can unmarried couple ( Egyptian & Foreigner) stay in the same room???

by unity2marina Online Now Jul 8, 2007 at 1:41 PM

First of all, i have to say that I do respect this value but in my country is never be a problem. The concern is about budget to afford two rooms in every hotels. I think maybe i better get married with him since i arrive in Egypt so all the problems will be solved, I guess. Please if anyone can suggest the alternatives would be very nice.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • vdoortje's Profile Photo

Re: Can unmarried couple ( Egyptian & Foreigner) stay in the same room???

by vdoortje Online Now Jul 9, 2007 at 2:06 AM

Well, in Egypt it is a problem! In the big 5* Hotels (most) people with an Egyptian passport cannot stay. You can try with the smaller budget hotels. But getting a second room there will not cost you to much; I would recommend that.

I don't know from where you are and how long you know your boyfriend and where you two have met. But I wouldn't marry him right away! Take your time, get to know him and his family. Get to know the culture and family life in Egypt.

• yvr's Profile Photo

by yvr Online Now Jul 9, 2007 at 5:25 AM

Get two rooms to satisfy the hotel, and then spend the night with your boyfriend in either his or your room, easy and simple.

by EgyptianGoddess Online Now Jul 9, 2007 at 6:31 AM

If you are planning an orfi marriage just to solve this problem - then I think it would be very unwise and may still not get you anywhere as not all hotels will accept this as proof of marriage. A five* hotel will not let you stay in the same room without an official paper of marriage. Some smaller hotels may also not let you stay without official papers - or if they do they will put you on different floors to stop a foreigner from sneaking into an Egyptian only floor. Why don't you look at flat rental? You may still face some of the same problems there but a bit extra on the price may solve this.
    All in all think it would just be easier and cheaper to go to a lower range hotel and get 2 rooms.

by unity2marina Online Now Jul 9, 2007 at 7:25 PM

Thank you very much for everybody's answers, all helps a lot.

I am not going to married him ( I just mentioned that would be easier) because I cannot do the legal marriage now for I am studying Master in another country and changing marital status affects my visa.

I come up with the idea about Flat or Apartment as well but esp. in Cairo i have no source where to find it...I tried to check in the internet but no information. But for another cities, my boyfreind said that he can find a place that we can stay together.

i'm thinking about the lawyer certificate, I know that in big hotel I cannot use this anyway but for the smaller one maybe. However, I plan to book two rooms with the seperated names and also we will check in at the different time. My point is I really don't want him to be in trouble..I don't know how serious for the legal action of this issue.

Is it possible that the hotel staff will come to check at our room? It's kinda scary thinking about that?

I wonder one thing..why this issue is so serious..I know that maybe caused by the culture and religion..but why they so strict with the issue of foreigner and Egyptian? Are there a lot of Egyptian end up with foreigner?

If anyone has any further recommendation..dont' be hasitated to give me.

Cheers!

• miriamkhalifa's Profile Photo

by miriamkhalifa Online Now Jul 10, 2007 at 3:54 AM

There is a LOT of it and also a LOT for other reasons than love - don't think that I suspect you for that though...

Before I married my husband two years ago, we were even stopped in the street a lot, he were asked why he was walking with me. Also before we were married I lived in a flat with norwegian friends and he lived in his family home.

we have not been to the Ministry of justice yet (Lazy!! haha) But on our trips to f.x. Hurghada and Aswan we have rented room together in budget hotels.

• swisssinai's Profile Photo

by swisssinai Online Now Jul 11, 2007 at 2:28 AM

I have to re-emphasise what the other have said by saying yes you will have problems.

Hotels do not refuse Egyptians sharing their bedrooms with foreign ladies just because they do not like it or they want to complicate matters but but because, quite frankly, they are not allowed to and the hotel registers are checked by the Tourism Police on a daily basis.

In most hotels you will be able to book and occupy two rooms, even in large, deluxe hotels, ( afterall, Egyptians are allowed to stay in deluxe hotels as much as foreigners ), but if the guest does not have a valid credit card or other means of payment, or if he or she appears to be undisirable, then that guest may be refused regardless of nationality.

If you do book and occupy two rooms and wish to visit eachother in the middle of the night there is the chance that you will be observed and stopped by security or other hotel staff which could then lead to problems. Afterall, foreign tourists, as a result of the terrorist attacks in the past, have been asking for better security so well-managed hotels will have security staff patrolling the hotel corridors at night-time as well as possibly having in-house security cameras.

At some hotels, when you check in, if the staff feel that there is something, what they may term as monkey-business, going on then they may try and complicate matters by placing the two rooms on completely different floors. This may at times appear that the receptionist or whoever is just trying to be a pain in the rear end, or it may be because the receptionist knows that if any problems should arise, no one can accuse him of aiding and assisting the two guests in what basically is, under the eyes of Egyptian law, an illegal act.

Whether one like's this or not is beside the point - Egypt is a traditional country where the vast majority of the population, regardless if they are Muslim or Christian, have rather traditional, views on marriage, family life etc etc and thus do not sleep with persons of the opposite sex before marriage.

When in Rome do as the Romans !

If this relationship is serious, and your long term plans are indeed, marriage, then do consider that you may, ( and I stress the word may as it is not always the case ), not gain any respect from your future spouse's family if they know you are having sex before marriage. Likewise, I would advise against an Orfi marriage, ( often known more crudely as an F-license ), as it also is not considered to be respectable, ( i.e. decent young Egyptian ladies are not supposed to do it ), nor is it legally recognised and yet could cause obstacles in your own country if you wish to marry later on.

I am at a loss as to how getting married could affect your student status, ( but then I do not know your nationality ), because if you were to get officially married in Egypt you would need to get approval from your embassy in Egypt, approval from the Egyptian Ministry of Affairs and then get legally married in the registrar's office but you would not need to register the actual marriage straight away at your embassy but could wait until after you have completed the studies.

Hope that helps a little.

by miriamkhalifa Online Now Jul 11, 2007 at 6:55 AM

there are also two types of "orfi". The white and the green one. If you have a green contract it means your marriage is registred with the authorities. The white one is "just a paper" and all you need for a divorce is a box of matches :)

The grren orfi has worked for us so far, but as I said earlier, we have been staying in budget hotels.

by unity2marina Online Now Jul 11, 2007 at 9:07 PM

Thanks for comments again

I really do respect him, his family, his religion and culture...no judgement and no criticizing for the way people do thing in Egypt

I start to feel tired of this thing...I really do not mind to stay seperately with him...it does not matter to me to sleep with him or not...if it will cause lots of trouble I really don't want to. I want to go there to visit his family, to spend time with him as much as i can...not to sleep with him..I just want to stay with each other as much as we can cos I can see him only twice a year.

The thing is we will NEVER sleep together before we get married...firstly I arrive in Egypt I will go directly to his house to visit his family and we will arrange the marriage there ( Orfi Contract or anything else I am not sure)

We want to get married becasue we love each other..to show that we are agreed to be bounded.. not just to sleep together.. if we just want to sleep together..he flies to here or in my home country is a lot easier

But I cannot do the legal documentation because I need to renew my visa at the end of this year. And as married student, he / she needs to provide the financial statement to show that he/she has enough money to support the spouse back home during the time he/ she studying here, which the amount of money is much more than the singled student requirement. The aim of government is preventing the student to abandon his/her dependent family member. However, I cannot afford to renew the visa as married student so I cannot get married legally now I have to wait until i finish my study.

Thank you for recommendation and warning...good to know that..but honestly i feel so frustrated..cos the place i come from we do strict with sex before marriage ( taboo ) too but it's not the law just the value and our privacy comes first.

It will be a good experience to learn new way of life....I am flexible I don't think adjusting to the new culture will be so hard..I love to study multi-culture anyway :)

Cheers!

• swisssinai's Profile Photo

by swisssinai Online Now Jul 11, 2007 at 11:32 PM

Well, as I said on Thorntree, I wish you both all the very best !

by miriamkhalifa Online Now Jul 12, 2007 at 3:57 AM

Good luck and enjoy your stay! Noone here is judging you. There is other reasons for wanting to share rooms than just sex. When we signed the orfi we just had a small ceremony in his familys home and had a proper wedding party later. ;)
    Wish for you a fabulous stay ;)

by CandaceH04 Online Now Jul 13, 2007 at 4:02 PM

I understand that this is tiring. I live in Egypt and from what I've gathered about the topic, they have instituted this rule to protect foreigners from rape and to discourage prostitution. Also, like many others have said, it is a very traditional culture- but they really do only have your best interest at heart. Egypt isn't the type of nation or culture where "privacy" is valued at all. There are pros and cons to this. ;)

But you will LOVE Egypt as long as you don't let things like this bother you, insh'allah.

by unity2marina Online Now Jul 13, 2007 at 9:25 PM

Thank you for every comments...they are very useful!

I hope this trip will go very well with no problems

I hope to update what happens over there after i get back here

Cheers!

• vdoortje's Profile Photo

by vdoortje Online Now Jul 16, 2007 at 4:35 AM

Yes, keep us posted!!! Your experiences might add to this site.

Good luck, habibi!
    Dora.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines