Cairo Travel Answers

change location

visiting Cairo this summer

by traveler242 Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Hi, my mom and I want to visit Cairo this summer. We want to visit our Egyptian friends who recently moved back to Egypt from the U.S. We will stay with their family. We certainly won't be on our own. My mom is concerned about safety and protests. Does anyone have advice or experience in Cairo they can share?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

Re: visiting Cairo this summer

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM

In a city of 10,000,000 in a country of 85,000,000 a couple thousand people (at most) protesting in a few square blocks is so easily avoided. Besides that, the protests are about domestic matters. There is no 'hatred' of westerners, especially tourists. I would not call anywhere in the world 'safe' (especially the US) but you'll be fine in Egypt.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • xaver's Profile Photo

Re: visiting Cairo this summer

by xaver Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I have been there in December. It's absolutely easy to avid protests and anyway they usually concentrate on friday around Tahir square. You say you are visiting locals, they'll perfectly know how to move around safely.

• Re: visiting Cairo this summer

by boo1959 Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 7:09 AM

my girl friend and i visited cairo in september from sharm, they were protesters out side the musium but no trouble what so ever, we going back this september so that says it all. hope this puts you at ease

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines