Cairns

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Living in Port Douglas

Port Douglas 19 hours ago

Hi, there is a possibility myself and my family will be moving to Port Douglas. I will start by saying it looks stunningly beautiful there. My concern is the wildlife - crocodiles, snakes etc? May sound far fetched - sorry, but where I will be coming from we have no crocodiles, tree snakes etc. Can I expect to see a lot of crocodiles, snakes, frogs etc? and will I see any or many in my house / yard?

more
    • wise23girl's Profile Photo

Best rail station

Gold Coast Mar 30, 2014 at 11:54 PM

A friend is staying at Fingal Heads south of Tweed. They want to catch the train to the Brisbane airport.Which would would be the best train station for them to use.
      Thanks guys in advance

more
    • bus phone number

Hamilton Island 9 hours ago

Hi

What is the phone number for us getting a bus from hamilton island airport to the marina

Regards

Michele

more
    • Driving/staying on Fraser Island

Fraser Island Mar 27, 2014 at 8:53 AM

My husband, 3 children and I will be travelling to Queensland in November and would like to go to Fraser Island. We will have a rental car and will be staying on the Sunshine Coast (possibly in Noosa). Can we take our rental car to the island or are we better to walk on the ferry or take an organized tour? Not sure if we should go just for the day or stay overnight? Appreciative of any advice! Thanks!

more
    • Usctwin's Profile Photo

Daintree Rainforest Visit with a 1 year old

State of Queensland Apr 2, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Hi VTers!

I have been doing a lot of reading on the Daintree Rainforest. Little did I know that there are so many different areas to explore! It seems like these all offers different things to see in the rainforest, but my main concern is that we will have a 1 year old with us. I am trying to determine if there is an area that will be easier for us to visit with him. We will most likely have to carry him. As much as we would like to do a hike through the rainforest, I don't think that will be possible, but we would definitely like to see as much of the environment as we can.

Cape Tribulation has caught our eye, but the Daintree Discovery Centre and Mossman Gorge Center also sound like they provide good options for traveling with a young child.

We will have a rental car 4WD. 

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much, Kimberly

more
    • About Toll Charges in Queensland

State of Queensland Apr 10, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Is anyone able to advice me on the toll charges in Queensland?
      Will be renting vehicle from Brisbane Airport > Gold Coast (Day 1)
      And from Gold Coast > Sunshine Coast (Day 7)
      Sunshine Coast > Brisbane Airport (Day 10)

As I am comparing 2 car rental pricing.
      AUD837 (Toll charges to be charge direct to my credit card) vs AUD1,037 (inclusive Toll Charges)
      Which deal is a better offer with all other criteria the same.

more
    • Sunshine Coast

State of Queensland Mar 23, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Dear friends,
      Seriously need some help on Sunshine Coast total 4 adults (1 elderly age 68) & 2 childrens (age 6 & 4).
      Will be checking out from Gold coast (Tue) to Sunshine coast (2hrs journey) and tentatively staying in Caloundra area.
      Few destination in mind, but at a lost on how to plan the route. 3.5 full days in Sunshine coast.
      1) Australia Zoo (1/2 day enough?)
      2) Glass house mountain (1/2 day enough?)
      3) Fraser Island day tour (Which tour agency is recommended? But seems like alot of time will be spend on travelling as Caloundra is quite far out from Fraser Island). So might not go ahead with Fraser Island.
      4) Ginger Factory (1/2 day enough?)
      5) Blackall range
      6) King's Beach (1/2 day enough?)
      7) Eumundi Market (Wednesday AM), where to proceed next from Eumundi market?
      8) Any wineyard to recommend and is it harvesting season in early May?
      9) Noosa (What is recommended there?)
      Will be checking out on saturday early morning to catch a flight in Brisbane back to my home town.
      Therefore, would appreciate all your kind assistant on helping me to plan these few days itinernary so that I don't have to travel up and down aimlessly.
      p/s : I have already rent a car thoughout my journey from 10 days journey.
      Thank you all in advance :)

more
    • budget and activities .

by nickshah Online Now Mar 15, 2014 at 5:55 PM

what should be the budget and activities for 5 day 4 night trip???

7 Answers Mar 19, 2014 at 11:46 PM
    • Conference for 100

by wookiie Online Now Feb 10, 2014 at 5:26 PM

What is the best value for money venue to hold a conference for approx. 100 people in cairns and port douglas ?

3 Answers Mar 13, 2014 at 1:43 AM
    • 10 nights in Cairns

by levlex Online Now Jan 29, 2014 at 5:00 AM

Hello, My husband and I will be hiring a car and spending 10 nights in Cairns. Would appreciate any advice on best sites outside of Cairns, to visit in a short time, Have heard of a waterfall route, any suggestions, would like to take a ride on the Kuranda railway, should we take an organised tour or do it independently. We are happy to get off the beaten track and explore. We have already booked our accommodation, will be there in June.
      Thanks

4 Answers Mar 13, 2014 at 1:30 AM
    • Kat_Blu13's Profile Photo

What are the best hostels in Cairns?

by Kat_Blu13 Online Now Jan 17, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Will be in Cairns from late june and july... looking for somewhere lively and centrally located? We will be celebrating my friends 21st so looking for a good hostel and a good night out.

2 Answers Mar 13, 2014 at 1:43 AM
    • Advices : 6 days from Airlie Beach to Cairns

by carololo Online Now Nov 27, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Hi !
      We 'll be 2 people, we hire a car in Airlie Beach and are planning to head north from the 17th to 22nd of december.
      Do you have suggestions ?
      I am thinking about stopping in Townsville area (free campsite, should I book? ) I herad there are beaches good for snorkeling (but maybe not in dec as there are jellyfishes?)
      Then I'd like to go to the waterfalls (Mulla Mulla), stroll in Daintree forest, around Port Douglas...
      Don't particularly want to stay long in Cainrs (wee'll be there almost a day in the end, after car dropping off).

Are there free campsites in Cairns , Port Douglas area, in the parks ?
      Do you think the heat makes it hard to sleep in a tent at this time ?

We are not planning on going to the Greatt Barrier Reef there, as we'll have been in the whitsundays islands and outer reef.

Thank you so much in advance for you advices !
      Caroline

5 Answers Dec 2, 2013 at 1:42 AM
    • JesseSandiA's Profile Photo

best place to stay in march

by JesseSandiA Online Now Nov 18, 2013 at 2:08 PM

we will visit cairns in march. how wet is it then. how about camping? or better in a hotel? best place, reasonable prices?

3 Answers Nov 19, 2013 at 4:31 AM
    • 4 days in Cairns area

by Anjulis Online Now Sep 23, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I am arriving to Cairns on Day 1 (in october) about noon, leaving on Day 5 at 11 am.
      What is the best way to see everything?
      Should I spend any time in Cairns or just go to PD from the airport?
      What is the best place to go diving? Is there any reason to go for 2-days diving trip?
      If go to Cape Tribulation for one day, do I need 4x4?
      Is it worth the time to go to Kuranda? LP says it is mostly just a tourist market but many people go there.

How to connect all this and what else would you advise?

14 Answers Feb 9, 2014 at 1:24 PM
    • Do Stingers bother crocodiles

by VijaySims Online Now Sep 12, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Can Stingers sting Crocodiles to death.
      Since there is every likelihood that a Crocodile will bump into a Stinger

8 Answers Sep 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM
    • nice place to stay for family of five in Cairns

by LezlieS Online Now Aug 21, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Hi,
      My family of five (three teenagers) will be going to Cairns in November.
      I am looking for a nice two or three bedroom place to stay that has wireless internet.
      We would like to stay someplace really nice.
      Does anyone have any suggestions? We will be in Cairns for 4 days.
      Thanks

5 Answers Aug 22, 2013 at 7:54 AM
    • FlyingChef's Profile Photo

Is Cairns impossible in March? If so, where else

by FlyingChef Online Now Jun 24, 2013 at 3:13 PM

We wanted to go to Cairns, to explore the natural wonders and the history of the Aboriginal people, but it sounds as though mid March to early april (the only times we can be there) will be very undesirable. Is this true? We are already planning to visit Alice and Uluru and stop over in Sydney (but have canceled Darwin cos of weather). Where would you all recommend for a couple in our sixties who want to discover both Aboriginal and settler history.

4 Answers Jun 27, 2013 at 4:10 PM
    • weather

by aditya7103 Online Now Jun 18, 2013 at 10:45 PM

which is the best period when cairns can be visited

10 Answers Jul 3, 2013 at 9:38 PM
    • Lift from Cairns to Brisbane.

by lucacaroline Online Now May 30, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Hi everybody,
      We are a beautiful couple, a italian and a french, and we're looking for 2 people who want to make the travel with us from Cairns to Brisbane. We have a big camper for four people.
      We'll leave the 10 of June and we want to arrive in Brisbane max the 12 of June.
      Quick journey but comfortable.
      Cheers.
      Caroline and Luca.

3 Answers May 30, 2013 at 5:25 PM
    • Cairns Holiday Homes

by jackyjacky Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 3:12 AM

How can I find out about holiday homes in Cairns?

4 Answers Mar 1, 2013 at 8:00 PM
    • Cairns Tours Discount

by pusha17 Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Hi,
      We want to take a trip to the Great Barrier Reef. Can you recommend a company which would compare the existing tours and make the best offer? Perhaps last minute offers. And maybe suggest other interesting trips in the area...to have a discount for a combo of trips
      Thanks

5 Answers Feb 23, 2013 at 1:21 AM
    • 3 Days in Cairns

by andymoss Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 4:14 AM

Hey,

I have 3 days in Cairns in the middle of February before flying off to Melbourne, wondered how i could fill my 3 days without missing out on too much. Id like to include either some diving or snorkelling within the 3 days.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

9 Answers Feb 14, 2013 at 4:44 PM
    • Coordinating a public bus with the skyrail in Kuranda

by scikaren Online Now Dec 25, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I would like drive my car to a place where I can park to take a bus to Kuranda. I would then like to take the sky rail back and be able to walk to my car. It would also work if I could drive to the sky rail, park my car within a reasonable distance of a bus stop, take the sky rail there, and take a public bus back. If this is possible, what is the name of the bus and where do I pick it up?
      SciKaren

1 Answer Dec 27, 2012 at 11:55 PM
    • 2 weeks from Cairns

by Camillle Online Now Aug 6, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Hi everyone,

After a conference in Cairns, I will have two weeks holidays. I didn't have the time before to plan precisely what to do. So I am looking for suggestions...

Obviously I will go to the greet barrier reef. Then I thought to rent a car and go for Daintree and Cap Tribulation. Afterwards nothing is planned...

Usually, when possible, I prefer visiting by myself than with a group tour. I would also like to see the wildlife ( Kangaroo, Crocodile, Platypus (?), ...) in the wild, and have a taste of the Outback. One last thing, I like hiking in the wild, so if there is a place nice and not dangerous I would enjoy a few good hikes.

Thanks for any ideas or advices.

Camille

4 Answers Apr 19, 2013 at 4:32 PM
    • DECLAN47's Profile Photo

Cairns overnight

by DECLAN47 Online Now Jul 24, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Hi, Would welcome a 3/4* hotel recommendation for an overnight stay in Cairns
      preferably close to the Airport Sunday night in October

2 Answers Jul 24, 2012 at 7:45 PM
    • Itinerary for advice

by shliz Online Now Jul 6, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Hi all,
      After some lots of research about Lake Mungo and Carnarvon Gorge, but it turns out I can't go those places with a hire car. So after all that we changed our whole plan and decided to just head to Uluru and then fly to Cairns and head south. So, I have carved out an itinerary (below) but that last bit in particular is over the top busy. Suggestions would be most welcome. This is a trip in August.

PART 1: Melbourne
      August 4-18: Work in Melbourne, overnight trips to Great ocean highway and Yarra valley wineries.

Q1: For great ocean highway would you stay 2 nights or is 1 night enough? We thought we'd drive straight inland to the west and do the drive back towards Melbourne, which seems to be the opposite direction of most people doing it. Sound ok?

Q2: Yarra wineries- can it be a daytrip from Melbourne or is overnight needed?

PART 2: Uluru
      Sat August 18 Fly to Uluru, arrive 1 pm. Hire car, drive straight to Kings Canyon, stay the night.
      Sunday 19th, early crater rim hike, see park, afternoon drive back to Yulara.
      Monday Uluru
      Tuesday Kata Tjuta
      Wednesday see stuff in am, fly at 2 pm to Cairns

Q3: Do you think 1 night kings canyon/3 nights Yulara is a good balance? Yulara is SO expensive for seemingly crap lodging. We would camp if we had gear- but we dont. Do you just suck it up and stay in Yulara resort?

PART 3: This is where it gets complicated...
      From Wednesday 22nd pm till Wednesday 29th noon, Cairns to Whitsunday? 7 nights... I have too many things on my list though, can't decide what to eliminate.

The ideas were:
      Daintree
      Port Douglas/Mossman
      Mission beach
      Inland detour for Undara lava caves or charters towers
      Long drive to Airlie Beach to get to any island on the Whitsundays that we can afford
      Return car in Townsville (since has a direct flight to sydney)

This is obviously too much for 7 nights, especially since we just want to have a few solid relaxed days reading on the beach, taking it easy, walking around...

Q4: What to cut from above list?
      Q5: Is Mission Beach this a good place for my only relaxed beach time in AU? Lots of nice seeming relaxed places to stay there, but is it so great it would represent my AU beach experience?

Q6: Are there any islands closer to Townsville/Cairns that really are as lovely as the Whitsundays? I living in Europe and am really looking forward to perfect beaches... So I don't want to give us that island experience.

Q7: Is it crazy to drive to Whitsundays from up there in such a short time, then back up to Townsville to return car/fly to Syndey?
      Thanks so much all, in advance, for your feedback. This forum has been so helpful already- I've read so many posts already, but I just end up with more questions!

6 Answers Jul 7, 2012 at 3:45 PM
    • Cairns/Port Douglas Sightseeing

by gmhew Online Now Jun 18, 2012 at 10:59 PM

My wife and I will be in the Cairns/Port Douglas area for 2 weeks in January 2013. We would like to do the usual touristy things whilst we are there such as barrier reef, Kuranda, Tjapukai, Cape Tribulation, Daintree National Park, Rain Forest Walk, Daintree River Cruise. Could anyone advise me on 2 things:
      1 - whether it is cheaper to book these activities locally when we get there or pre book from a website?
      2 - Can we pick up everything from Port Douglas if we're based there or would it be best to spend part of the time in a Cairns Hotel and then move to Port Douglas?
      Never been to that area before so would welcome advice.

7 Answers Jul 30, 2012 at 3:31 PM
    • advice for travel in area of Cairns and/or Port Douglas and/or Cape Trib

by tshadfield Online Now May 15, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Hi,

I have loved reading lots of posts for lots of travelers. I just wonder what those of you would do if you were us, we will arrive on my daughter's 9th birthday (July 10) and have until July 14 to do stuff. We have a conference from July 15-20 and then can travel again till July 28 (our flight leaves Cairns). I thought that we could stay in Cairns on July 10-11 (to celebrate and acclimate). I have read many of you have said that it is worth it to see Kuranda (I want my daughter to hold a Koala and see the animals of Australia) and to go by sky rail so I thought that would be what we do one day. I see posts on Trinity Beach, maybe we could stay there for the days before the conference. I would also like to visit Chillagoe before the meeting (I read in Budget Travel magazine that this is a great place to visit to get a flavor of the interior) and would it be best to get a hire a car (is Redspot the best to rent from as far as prices?) or can we get there by bus? What are the views of those of you out there on that?
      After, I thought we could head north and I have read so many posts but wonder if we should stay in one place for the rest of our time or stay in a couple of places. We are trying to keep our costs lower on accommodations so we have more or our money to do some snorkeling tours since this is at the top of my husband's "bucket list" and he has dreamed of being able to do a trip like this. I have convinced him that we need to do the rain tree forest and see some of the other things since we can't go out and snorkel everyday since we will be in the poor house or worse! And I figure it would be best to hire a car, but if we could get to a place and work out of that, could we do it without a car? I would love to hear what you guys would do and how you would do it.
      I saw in one post that folks stayed at Cow Bay Hotel but have not been able to find any info on that online, does it still exist? Do the hostels have private rooms with bathrooms for the three of us or are we better off getting a hotel/motel type place.
      Is there a place that is not the main places people stay that would be good for us? I am open, we are still trying to figure it all out!
      Thanks for any and all thoughts on these matters! I have enjoyed studying the many posts already posted!
      Tracy

3 Answers May 15, 2012 at 10:39 PM
    • hsm's Profile Photo

Great Barrier Reef

by hsm Online Now May 10, 2012 at 4:36 AM

I am going to a conference in Brisbane in August. After the conference, I would love to see the Great Barrier Reef for about 3-4 days. What is the best possible way to do it? Thanks

5 Answers May 11, 2012 at 12:16 AM
    • want to travel from Cairns. need help.

by aoifeoflaherty Online Now Apr 26, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Hi all,
      I am flying to Australia in November. I am flying into cairns.
      I have plans to travel down the coast to Sydney.
      Do you think its possible to travel for six weeks on what 5000$aus that would be for food travel etc.
      If anyone wants to give me tips on were to go , places to visit, hostel to stay in and the possibility of surviving on were 5000$. I am goin for a year
      I plan on settling and finding a job. Any tips on were to settle down e.g. Good but cheap night life, safe places?
      P.s sorry for all the questions

6 Answers Apr 26, 2012 at 11:16 PM
    • Which company for a 1day no experience Diving in the Reef

by carluri Online Now Apr 24, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Hello everbody,

I will be in Cairns for about 4 days in May. I have never tried scuba diving before, but I definitely want to do it in the Barrier Reef. I've seen people recommend Reef Magic Cruises and Passions of Paradise to do what I want. Which one is the best? Is there any other suggestion?

Besides the one day scuba diving tour, what do locals recommend?

Thanks for helping.

5 Answers Apr 25, 2012 at 5:42 AM
    • AshScott87's Profile Photo

Fishing Trips Near Barrier Reef

by AshScott87 Online Now Feb 28, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Hi all,

I am planning on spending 6 nights in cairns in october, hopefully staying in port douglas as have heard so many good stories about the place. Am currently in the process of doing all my research into activities for me my dad and my sister, the age range of us all is from 46-21.

We lost my mum to cancer last november so have planned her dream holiday in honour of her touring Aus for 3 weeks.

We start our trip to Aus on the 9th october and arrive in melbourne for 2 nights before flying to Sydney where we plan to stay for 5 nights, we then fly from sydney to cairns and spend 6 nights, (yet to sort out accomodation but have our hearts set on port douglas). we then fly back to melbourne where we then go and watch the mighty Casey Stoner for three days in the Moto GP on phillip island before then heading back to the UK on the 30th Oct.

(thought be best to tell you as much as possible about our trip so you can get an idea of the type of people we are so you can recommend ideas for us to see/experience while we're on tour)

However while in Cairns we would love to experience a fishing trip out in the open sea above the great barrier reef just wondering if any one knows of any good tours that they could recommend? We have never fished before but see it as something we would love to do while in cairns, its as close to the water as my dad will get as he cannot swim.

Any more recommendations on things to do while we're in cairns would be greatly appreciated :-D.

May I also say that we are foodies, (we love to try different foods and experience all kinds of cuisines) no we're not fat people who love a hotdog just general fans of amazing foods, any recommendations on places to eat?

Cheers Guys

Look forward to reading some of your replies.

Ashley

2 Answers Feb 28, 2012 at 4:41 PM
    • Looking for a good/safe 1/2 day snorkel trip

by timba Online Now Feb 3, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Hi all, would anyone have any suggestions on who could provide my wife and I a fun safe snorkel trip out of port douglas/cairns.
      Also if anyone would know or could give us some ideas on cost that would be great.

Thanks as always

4 Answers Feb 18, 2012 at 4:22 AM
    • honeymoon in december

by hayleybells Online Now Jan 15, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Hi,
      We're thinking of coming to Cairns in Early December for a couple of weeks but we are concerned about the weather. Is it too hot and humid?? Or is it still okay at that time of year??
      Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

5 Answers Jan 17, 2012 at 1:34 AM
    • Planning 5 days on late November. No beaches , still more stuff to enjoy the area?

by mitchdew Online Now Jan 4, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Hello,
      We are taking a cruise to see the Eclipse that will end in Sydney. After that, we will be flying to Cairns to spend 5 nights there before we fly back to the US.
      I know that the Jellyfish season starts in November and we wont be able to swim. We are wondering if there is still other stuff in the area that we will be able to enjoy?
      WE will be renting a car probably when we get there.
      Also, is the weather going to be extremelly hot??
      Thanbks for any advise

9 Answers Jan 12, 2012 at 12:39 AM
    • Where to stay what to do?

by babyseal Online Now Jan 4, 2012 at 12:49 AM

We are planning to visit Cairns between 29 March and 1 April 2012. Can anyone recommend good hotels? Do we need to hire a car to get around? And what would be the best things to do?

4 Answers Jan 4, 2012 at 10:56 PM
    • Cairns Tropical Wines

by mousie9 Online Now Dec 9, 2011 at 5:07 AM

Hi,

Can a local please advise me on whether Cairns Tropical Wines are still in existence and if they're still selling at the Cairns and Kuranda markets?

I was up north a bit over a year ago and I want to buy more wine from them but haven't been able to make contact with the company.

Are they out of production due to Yasi or just hard to contact?

Thanks,

Kylie from Melbourne.

1 Answer Dec 9, 2011 at 3:05 PM