change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• placido2745's Profile Photo

Two Daintree Questions

Daintree Mar 30, 2015 at 7:31 AM

We have one day to visit Daintree and Cape Tribulation from Cairns. We would like to walk in the rainforest, ride the zipline, see a cassowary, visit Mossman Gorge, walk on a nice beach, do a couple of boardwalks and see any other good sites. Can anyone do an itinerary for us that we can comfortably fit into one day? Also, is it possible to walk in the Daintree N.P. without having to pay to go on a guided tour?

more
    • Mispelt Middle Name

Brisbane Mar 23, 2015 at 12:57 AM

I am worried as "lastminuteflights"  have mispelt my friends middle name (they missed out an "A" "Christian" instead of "Christiaan") My travel agent says I have to cancel the ticket & re-purchase another, as they cant change the name details due to Cathay Pacifics policy. Only thing is if I have to do that same ticket is now over $400 dearer, as this is Cathay Pacific's policy they say.

I contacted Cathay Pacific direct who said the travel agent has to make the name change, so don't know what to do now. They say we won't be able to travel unless another ticket is purchased, what do I do? I can't see why they just can't add an "A" onto their computer file. Will we still be able to fly with this mispelt name?

more
    • scooter, transport, brisbane, melbourne, sydney

Brisbane Mar 8, 2015 at 4:02 PM

Hi does anyone know if you can legally drive a 50cc moped in Australia with a UK provisional drivers licence? I know you can in England but not sure about over there.

more
    • Mnavarro's Profile Photo

Michaelmas Cay or Green Island?

by Mnavarro Online Now Dec 29, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Which is a better Cairns day tour, to Michaelmas Cay or to Green Island? We are interested in going to the outer reef, swimming and snorkeling and not so much interested in tropical rain forest.

Thank you for your reply.

1 Answer Dec 29, 2014 at 10:30 PM
    • Mnavarro's Profile Photo

Cairns in February

by Mnavarro Online Now Dec 29, 2014 at 3:36 PM

We will be in Cairns, Australia on February 8 - 11, 2015. Has anyone experienced bad weather or cyclone in Cairns in February? What do you suggest that we do in 3 days in Cairns? Is there any specific tour or island we need to visit. We mainly would like to experience the Great Barrier Reef and do some snorkeling.

Thank you.

6 Answers Dec 29, 2014 at 10:58 PM
    • snorkeling to outer reef with small group tour and camera suggestion please

by ChristinaY2 Online Now Oct 11, 2014 at 5:03 AM

I'm going to Cairns in the beginning of December 2014. And i plan to do 2 days of outer reef (not consecutive, Sat and Mon). I've searched online and there are so many tours to choose from and everyone kind of says their tour is good so i guess its all good depends on what kind you want the most. I've got 2 questions here

1. Im looking for a snorkeling tour to the outer reef with a not too big group, less than 50 passengers maybe with good crew members that will take the photos of passengers underwater and sell the files at the end of the trip cuz i kind of want my photos underwater with the Wally and the turtle. Its ok if its expensive as long as its reasonable and worth it. I've read about Seastar and Osprey V and they've got good reviews. What would u you suggest?

2. I'm also gonna rent a camera too so maybe i can do selfie with those fish probably Canon G15 or G16, has anyone used it? I've done a lot of snorkeling and few scuba diving in Thailand but i've never used a camera underwater before. What camera would u say suit the person with a lot of experience of snorkeling but 1st time of being an underwater photographer?
      Thank you in advance!

8 Answers Nov 3, 2014 at 12:15 AM
    • 2 days of Snorkeling, 1 day of going to the forest, sounds like a good plan?

by ChristinaY2 Online Now Oct 6, 2014 at 4:53 AM

I will be working in Melbourne in December,  first time in Australia and don’t know when I will have a chance to visit again. I plan to fly to Cairns alone at the beginning of Dec, luckily Jetstar and TigerAir have got some low price flights availalble. I will get to Cairns airport around Friday afternoon and go back to Melbourne on Tuesday morning, 3 and a half day in total there. Since I plan to spend New Years in Sydney so I have to save money for it too, not planning to spend it on expensive stuffs.

I really love snorkelling, i've done a lot of snorkelling and few dives of scuba diving in Thailand. My main goal is to do snorkelling at Great barrier reef so my plan is 2 days of outer reefs and 1 day of forest visit.

Day 1- arrive in Cairns in the afternoon, then walking around the city, esplanade and lagoon, etc. Do you have any recommendation on nice hostel that is close to the city and also the Marlin warfe which I can just walk to the pier on the morning of snorkeling so I don’t have to pay for the pick up?  I have searched online someone recommends YHA central Cairns and Gilligans’ hostel which look good on the website. Is it good? Is there any other nice hostel  apart from these two that you’ve been?

Day 2 & 4- snorkeling at the outer reefs GBR, I’ve looked online and there are lots of companies to choose from. Since im going alone, I wont have so many photos of myself. I kind of want photos of myself underwater with the fish, and the turtle if im lucky enough to see one. Do you have any company to recommend that would take photos like that? And do I need the underwater camera cuz I see that they would charge around 70 AUD more? And do I need to rent a wet suit cuz I heard there are more stingers in Dec? Is quicksilvers good? I’m gonna book online before its full.

Day 3-  see more of Cairns apart from GBR , between Kuranda rainforest and Cape Tribulation, which one should I choose? Im not really into going to the forest but since people talk about it, I think I might need to go. And any travel agency that I can go with you’d recommend?

A lot of questions, but since it might be my only time in Oz, I don’t wanna regret this and I’m a female going alone, I’m pretty nervous!

Thanks in advance!

17 Answers Oct 8, 2014 at 8:17 PM
    • 2 days of Snorkeling, 1 day of going to the forest, sounds like a good plan?

by ChristinaY2 Online Now Oct 6, 2014 at 4:53 AM

I will be working in Melbourne in December,  first time in Australia and don’t know when I will have a chance to visit again. I plan to fly to Cairns alone at the beginning of Dec, luckily Jetstar and TigerAir have got some low price flights availalble. I will get to Cairns airport around Friday afternoon and go back to Melbourne on Tuesday morning, 3 and a half day in total there. Since I plan to spend New Years in Sydney so I have to save money for it too, not planning to spend it on expensive stuffs.

I really love snorkelling, i've done a lot of snorkelling and few dives of scuba diving in Thailand. My main goal is to do snorkelling at Great barrier reef so my plan is 2 days of outer reefs and 1 day of forest visit.

Day 1- arrive in Cairns in the afternoon, then walking around the city, esplanade and lagoon, etc. Do you have any recommendation on nice hostel that is close to the city and also the Marlin warfe which I can just walk to the pier on the morning of snorkeling so I don’t have to pay for the pick up?  I have searched online someone recommends YHA central Cairns and Gilligans’ hostel which look good on the website. Is it good? Is there any other nice hostel  apart from these two that you’ve been?

Day 2 & 4- snorkeling at the outer reefs GBR, I’ve looked online and there are lots of companies to choose from. Since im going alone, I wont have so many photos of myself. I kind of want photos of myself underwater with the fish, and the turtle if im lucky enough to see one. Do you have any company to recommend that would take photos like that? And do I need the underwater camera cuz I see that they would charge around 70 AUD more? And do I need to rent a wet suit cuz I heard there are more stingers in Dec? Is quicksilvers good? I’m gonna book online before its full.

Day 3-  see more of Cairns apart from GBR , between Kuranda rainforest and Cape Tribulation, which one should I choose? Im not really into going to the forest but since people talk about it, I think I might need to go. And any travel agency that I can go with you’d recommend?

A lot of questions, but since it might be my only time in Oz, I don’t wanna regret this and I’m a female going alone, I’m pretty nervous!

Thanks in advance!

1 Answer Oct 6, 2014 at 6:07 AM
    • one day in Cairns for snorkelling, worth it?

by ChristinaY2 Online Now Oct 4, 2014 at 11:38 AM

I will be working in Melbourne for one month in December and i will only have time to go to Cairns during the weekend. So im thinking of travelling to Cains during the first weekend when it doesnt rain that much yet, catching a flight to Cairns on Friday evening, and go for a one day trip for snorkelling on Saturday, leaving back to Melbourne on Sunday. Where is the best Snorkeling site to go? Is it Green islands? Any other place you'd recommend? I'm on a bit of budget too. But Great barrier reef has been one of my dream for a long time.

4 Answers Oct 6, 2014 at 3:06 AM
    • TravelingSue's Profile Photo

Shopping & Must See Places

by TravelingSue Online Now Aug 28, 2014 at 6:31 AM

Will be in Cairns for a couple days. Where is the best place to shop and what are the "must sees" besides Great Barrier Reef? Thanks for the info.

2 Answers Aug 28, 2014 at 2:31 PM
    • Best snorkelling off of Cairns

by tdorward Online Now Aug 7, 2014 at 10:15 AM

My husband and I have been lucky enough to snorkell all over the world, so there is a lot to live up to. There are lots of reviews and companies but not many spectacular photos making me a bit doubtful. Can anyone recommend a site that has not been damaged and has vibrant coral and beautiful colourful fish and maybe a turtle if two?
      Any help would be much appreciated. We will be arriving late October.
      Thanks.

1 Answer Aug 8, 2014 at 2:16 AM
    • Tepanyaki Resturant

by djroder Online Now Jul 31, 2014 at 9:55 PM

does anyone know of a good tepanyaki resturant in cairns

1 Answer Aug 2, 2014 at 12:50 AM
    • 7_seconds's Profile Photo

need help with trip planing

by 7_seconds Online Now Jun 24, 2014 at 7:22 AM

hello there! my husband and i are planing our honeymoon in australia in september. we will be based in sydney but my greatest desire is to visit great barrier reef. so i chose cairns as a base because i've heard there are situated most companies for GBR. we plan to stay in cairns maybe 2-3 or 4 days max. during that time i'd like to see something else in the surrounding area, and i've been surfing for interesting things for a while now and i only got frustrated and confused - there are SO many things to see and do there! its so hard to pick which ones to go during those few days.

so what i'm really looking for are suggestions, what should we take? we are on a bit of a budget too, but still, apart form GBR it seems to me that Daintree rainforest is and interesting site to see as well. also some whitewater rafting is said to be good as well. whitsundays are beautiful also and apparently can't be missed..
      i was looking for GBR tours and some of the major companies are situated in port douglas. is it better to be based in port douglas rather than cairns?

i'm completely lost :-(

we are looking for active holiday, i don't really care much about swiming pools, sunbathing or the "lazy" activities, we prefer seeing as much of australia as possible.

11 Answers Jul 3, 2014 at 4:10 AM
    • Worth it to go to Cairns?

by jennab1429 Online Now Jun 4, 2014 at 3:12 AM

Hi, I've been in Sydney for 6 months and trying to wrap up my travels before I head home. I've already been to the Whitsundays and am wondering if a trip to Cairns is worth it. I've heard that the reef is better in Cairns, but is it worth $600 to head back up that way?
      Cheers!

12 Answers Jun 4, 2014 at 7:06 AM
    • Booking, staying, doing questions for Cairns/Port Douglas in July

by vicksterc Online Now May 27, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Hello. Hubby and I will be in the Cairns area for a week in mid-July. We are interested in Reef, Rainforest, and similar. Questions:
      1) Booking hotel and/or activities in advance a must? Or 1-4 days in advance plenty for hotel? Activities?
      2) What is the pro/con on staying in Port Douglas vs. Cairns? We'd prefer not to move hotels....
      3) We're looking for a place we can have a car but close enough to walk to attractions/dining/beach without breaking the bank. Ideas on hotels or B&Bs, or sites that rate them fairly?
      4) We are automatic-car drivers. Best rental agency around? I assume it is best to book this ahead.
      Thanks!

2 Answers May 27, 2014 at 7:27 PM
    • great barrier reef cruises

by ReginaMari Online Now Apr 30, 2014 at 6:07 PM

what is the real difference between the cheap and expensive great barrier reef cruises, I see they go to pretty much the same place, so the price difference would be mainly the lunch and comfort levels, the reef would be pretty much the same wouldn't it. I'm trying to work out if this one silverseries.com.au/swift_pr... is $70 more than this one visitcairns.com.au/store/Pro...

6 Answers May 1, 2014 at 11:39 PM
    • budget and activities .

by nickshah Online Now Mar 15, 2014 at 5:55 PM

what should be the budget and activities for 5 day 4 night trip???

7 Answers Mar 19, 2014 at 11:46 PM
    • Conference for 100

by wookiie Online Now Feb 10, 2014 at 5:26 PM

What is the best value for money venue to hold a conference for approx. 100 people in cairns and port douglas ?

3 Answers Mar 13, 2014 at 1:43 AM
    • 10 nights in Cairns

by levlex Online Now Jan 29, 2014 at 5:00 AM

Hello, My husband and I will be hiring a car and spending 10 nights in Cairns. Would appreciate any advice on best sites outside of Cairns, to visit in a short time, Have heard of a waterfall route, any suggestions, would like to take a ride on the Kuranda railway, should we take an organised tour or do it independently. We are happy to get off the beaten track and explore. We have already booked our accommodation, will be there in June.
      Thanks

4 Answers Mar 13, 2014 at 1:30 AM
    • Kat_Blu13's Profile Photo

What are the best hostels in Cairns?

by Kat_Blu13 Online Now Jan 17, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Will be in Cairns from late june and july... looking for somewhere lively and centrally located? We will be celebrating my friends 21st so looking for a good hostel and a good night out.

2 Answers Mar 13, 2014 at 1:43 AM
    • Advices : 6 days from Airlie Beach to Cairns

by carololo Online Now Nov 27, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Hi !
      We 'll be 2 people, we hire a car in Airlie Beach and are planning to head north from the 17th to 22nd of december.
      Do you have suggestions ?
      I am thinking about stopping in Townsville area (free campsite, should I book? ) I herad there are beaches good for snorkeling (but maybe not in dec as there are jellyfishes?)
      Then I'd like to go to the waterfalls (Mulla Mulla), stroll in Daintree forest, around Port Douglas...
      Don't particularly want to stay long in Cainrs (wee'll be there almost a day in the end, after car dropping off).

Are there free campsites in Cairns , Port Douglas area, in the parks ?
      Do you think the heat makes it hard to sleep in a tent at this time ?

We are not planning on going to the Greatt Barrier Reef there, as we'll have been in the whitsundays islands and outer reef.

Thank you so much in advance for you advices !
      Caroline

5 Answers Dec 2, 2013 at 1:42 AM
    • JesseSandiA's Profile Photo

best place to stay in march

by JesseSandiA Online Now Nov 18, 2013 at 2:08 PM

we will visit cairns in march. how wet is it then. how about camping? or better in a hotel? best place, reasonable prices?

3 Answers Nov 19, 2013 at 4:31 AM
    • 4 days in Cairns area

by Anjulis Online Now Sep 23, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I am arriving to Cairns on Day 1 (in october) about noon, leaving on Day 5 at 11 am.
      What is the best way to see everything?
      Should I spend any time in Cairns or just go to PD from the airport?
      What is the best place to go diving? Is there any reason to go for 2-days diving trip?
      If go to Cape Tribulation for one day, do I need 4x4?
      Is it worth the time to go to Kuranda? LP says it is mostly just a tourist market but many people go there.

How to connect all this and what else would you advise?

14 Answers Feb 9, 2014 at 1:24 PM
    • Do Stingers bother crocodiles

by VijaySims Online Now Sep 12, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Can Stingers sting Crocodiles to death.
      Since there is every likelihood that a Crocodile will bump into a Stinger

8 Answers Sep 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM
    • nice place to stay for family of five in Cairns

by LezlieS Online Now Aug 21, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Hi,
      My family of five (three teenagers) will be going to Cairns in November.
      I am looking for a nice two or three bedroom place to stay that has wireless internet.
      We would like to stay someplace really nice.
      Does anyone have any suggestions? We will be in Cairns for 4 days.
      Thanks

5 Answers Aug 22, 2013 at 7:54 AM
    • FlyingChef's Profile Photo

Is Cairns impossible in March? If so, where else

by FlyingChef Online Now Jun 24, 2013 at 3:13 PM

We wanted to go to Cairns, to explore the natural wonders and the history of the Aboriginal people, but it sounds as though mid March to early april (the only times we can be there) will be very undesirable. Is this true? We are already planning to visit Alice and Uluru and stop over in Sydney (but have canceled Darwin cos of weather). Where would you all recommend for a couple in our sixties who want to discover both Aboriginal and settler history.

4 Answers Jun 27, 2013 at 4:10 PM
    • weather

by aditya7103 Online Now Jun 18, 2013 at 10:45 PM

which is the best period when cairns can be visited

10 Answers Jul 3, 2013 at 9:38 PM
    • Lift from Cairns to Brisbane.

by lucacaroline Online Now May 30, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Hi everybody,
      We are a beautiful couple, a italian and a french, and we're looking for 2 people who want to make the travel with us from Cairns to Brisbane. We have a big camper for four people.
      We'll leave the 10 of June and we want to arrive in Brisbane max the 12 of June.
      Quick journey but comfortable.
      Cheers.
      Caroline and Luca.

3 Answers May 30, 2013 at 5:25 PM
    • Cairns Holiday Homes

by jackyjacky Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 3:12 AM

How can I find out about holiday homes in Cairns?

4 Answers Mar 1, 2013 at 8:00 PM
    • Cairns Tours Discount

by pusha17 Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Hi,
      We want to take a trip to the Great Barrier Reef. Can you recommend a company which would compare the existing tours and make the best offer? Perhaps last minute offers. And maybe suggest other interesting trips in the area...to have a discount for a combo of trips
      Thanks

5 Answers Feb 23, 2013 at 1:21 AM
    • 3 Days in Cairns

by andymoss Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 4:14 AM

Hey,

I have 3 days in Cairns in the middle of February before flying off to Melbourne, wondered how i could fill my 3 days without missing out on too much. Id like to include either some diving or snorkelling within the 3 days.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

9 Answers Feb 14, 2013 at 4:44 PM
    • Coordinating a public bus with the skyrail in Kuranda

by scikaren Online Now Dec 25, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I would like drive my car to a place where I can park to take a bus to Kuranda. I would then like to take the sky rail back and be able to walk to my car. It would also work if I could drive to the sky rail, park my car within a reasonable distance of a bus stop, take the sky rail there, and take a public bus back. If this is possible, what is the name of the bus and where do I pick it up?
      SciKaren

1 Answer Dec 27, 2012 at 11:55 PM
    • 2 weeks from Cairns

by Camillle Online Now Aug 6, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Hi everyone,

After a conference in Cairns, I will have two weeks holidays. I didn't have the time before to plan precisely what to do. So I am looking for suggestions...

Obviously I will go to the greet barrier reef. Then I thought to rent a car and go for Daintree and Cap Tribulation. Afterwards nothing is planned...

Usually, when possible, I prefer visiting by myself than with a group tour. I would also like to see the wildlife ( Kangaroo, Crocodile, Platypus (?), ...) in the wild, and have a taste of the Outback. One last thing, I like hiking in the wild, so if there is a place nice and not dangerous I would enjoy a few good hikes.

Thanks for any ideas or advices.

Camille

4 Answers Apr 19, 2013 at 4:32 PM