Cairns Travel Answers

change location

3 Days in Cairns

by andymoss Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 4:14 AM

Hey,

I have 3 days in Cairns in the middle of February before flying off to Melbourne, wondered how i could fill my 3 days without missing out on too much. Id like to include either some diving or snorkelling within the 3 days.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • sirgaw's Profile Photo

Re: 3 Days in Cairns

by sirgaw Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 5:18 AM

Welcome to VT Andy.

Be aware that its wet season in Cairns and they've just had a huge dump of rain in the last few days and many roads are closed. I'd wait until you get to the area before making any firm plans. Many of the dive/snorkelling takes place at Port Douglas, which is about 75 km north. Probably the biggest operator is QuickSilver, who have their own fleet of coaches to get clients to the area.

Another popular tour is the Kuranda Scenic Railway and it would be spectacular to see the Barron Falls from the train when its in full flood. We saw it in the dry season.

Be aware of the dangers in swimming in the beach any where along the northern coast - marine stingers and crocodiles just LOVE visitors.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • martensd's Profile Photo

by martensd Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Long time since I was there but I will never forget the diving on the Barrier Reef and also White Water Rafting on the Tully River in a tropical rainforest.
    Rafting is about 85 miles from Cairns but easy to set up a trip.
    Of course not sure about the weather then, may be swollen to go?
    Also had my first taste of "Bugs" which are actually a crustacean sweeter than crab but you have to get past their look.
    Have fun
    David

• Re: 3 Days in Cairns

by Borisborough Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 4:54 PM

As mentioned, the Skyrail out and a return trip on a train along the Barron Falls is a great day out - see http://www.skyrail.com.au/. In addition, a day trip to Fitzroy Island is superb and I'd consider it a must-see! fitzroyisland.com/getting-he... has details of the 60 minute ferry ride to the island from Cairns. Once there, there's wonderful snorkelling and swimming off the beaches and it's a fraction of the price of going out to the further Barrier Reef islands.

1 member found this helpful

by Borisborough Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 4:58 PM

As mentioned, the Skyrail out and a return trip on a train along the Barron Falls is a great day out - see http://www.skyrail.com.au/. In addition, a day trip to Fitzroy Island is superb and I'd consider it a must-see! fitzroyisland.com/getting-he... has details of the 60 minute ferry ride to the island from Cairns. Once there, there's wonderful snorkelling and swimming off the beaches and it's a fraction of the price of going out to the further Barrier Reef islands.

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo

by colin_bramso Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I agree with David, wait until you're there to see what the weather's doing before you decide.

Queensland has just had a tropical cyclone, there's a huge amount of rain (some places had 700mm in 24 hours), major flooding etc etc.

It's currently moving south but in the wet season up there it can happen again.

by andymoss Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful.

One more thing, I would really like to go white water rafting, the trip a long the Tully river looks good, anyone got any other ideas or is that the best option.

Thanks

by martensd Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 8:09 AM

The Tully is probably the first choice. There is a short trip down the Barron River and I think a four day trip down the Johnstone (SIC?) which would be great if you had the time and money.
    Easy to find companies that do the trips on line.
    I do not remember the name of the restaurant in Cairns (maybe another VT'er can help) but they had this seafood platter that was three tiers high, oveflowing with different items like shrimp, crab and the "bugs". One of the best meals I ever had.
    Remember to check on the river status because of the weather.

David

by Catlin33 Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I like the sound of that restaurant!

by martensd Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I looked on line and found what I believe is the restaurant. It is called Kani's. Here is the website: http://www.kanis.com.au/seafood.asp

Enjoy David

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines