Cairns Travel Answers

change location

Where to stay what to do?

by babyseal Online Now Jan 4, 2012 at 12:49 AM

We are planning to visit Cairns between 29 March and 1 April 2012. Can anyone recommend good hotels? Do we need to hire a car to get around? And what would be the best things to do?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • akkipaa's Profile Photo

Re: Where to stay what to do?

by akkipaa Online Now Jan 4, 2012 at 1:14 AM

If you write Cairns to destination field above and press Go! you can find a lot of tips answering at least to your best to do and hotel questions.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • TarjaH's Profile Photo

by TarjaH Online Now Jan 4, 2012 at 1:22 AM

You have to visit the Great Barrier Reef! It's dissapearing so experience that when you still can! The reason why I choose Cairns instead of Uluru!

Even more fascinating place was the rainforest of Daintree, you can even stay a night there if you want to!

You can buy tours and town itself is small,
    so you do not necessarily need a car.

If I'd had more time I would have visited also in Tjapukai Aboriginal cultural park.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Jan 4, 2012 at 7:10 AM

Hire a car for a few days and visit Port Douglas,approx 90 minutes drive, Mosman Gorge, Kuranda, Daintree etc. I think you would be better to stay at Port Douglas, pick up a hire car from Cairns Airport. Not a lot to see in Cairns.

We were up there in July, one night Cairns and 4 nights Port Douglas. Have a look at photos on my Port Douglas page, it might help you decide. We are from Perth.

If you take the midnight flight you arrive around 5am, our Cairns hotel would not let us in to 1pm, it was dark to after 7am.

We had 2 weeks in Cairns in 1990, it has not changed. Take the Barrier Reef cruise from Port Douglas.

1 member found this helpful

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo

by colin_bramso Online Now Jan 4, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Hi, welcome to VT.

Without knowing what budget and interests you have we can't recommend hotels or things to do. The best starting point is our Cairns pages here on VT (click on our names or use the search panel). There's plenty of info on accommodation, sights, tours etc there, which will give you some ideas. Come back with questions when you've had a look.

There are plenty of tours going from Cairns so you can take those or you can hire a car and do your own thing, it really depends what you prefer.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines