Cairns Travel Answers

change location

GBR diving trip April 2012, should i book online now, or book when i am there?

by sophietpy Online Now Oct 17, 2011 at 2:12 AM

Hi all, need some advices here.

I have seen many many diving centers offering many diving packages online, and i am confused already. But i wonder if i can buy the package when i am there?
I am looking for a 2 days 1 night liveaboard diving package.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • sirgaw's Profile Photo

Re: GBR diving trip April 2012, should i book online now, or book when i am there?

by sirgaw Online Now Oct 17, 2011 at 4:03 AM

I've recently returned to southern Australia from a trip to Cairns and Port Douglas. In the lead up to the trip I was considering pre-booking a trip to the reef (not diving other than snorkel). I was advised against pre-booking because it is VERY weather dependant and trips can be cancelled. There seemed to be plenty of choices available and I'd suggest waiting until your there and then book - certainly do your internet research ahead of time.

The ideal person to respond is VT member tropicrd "Total eclipse in Cairns,QLD 14/11/2012" - tropicrd's Profile better known as Dorrise, who will be more than happy to help you out.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Gillybob's Profile Photo

Re: GBR diving trip April 2012, should i book online now, or book when i am there?

by Gillybob Online Now Oct 17, 2011 at 4:20 AM

There are many dive schools and operators in Cairns which should allow you to book something once you arrive, rather than in advance. You will also be able to pick up any special offers that might be going. Also, the weather needs to be taken into account and you might want to swap days round accordingly.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Oct 17, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Hi

I agree- do not pre-book.

This website is quite good, and shows the various options for dive tours

greatbarrierreeftour.com.au/...

• tropicrd's Profile Photo

by tropicrd Online Now Oct 17, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Hello and welcome,
    I would not pre book if I were you.You will certainly be able to buy the package when you are here and I am sure you will also get a pretty good bargain that time of the year.I agree with others that it depends on the weather (it is still cyclone season)so to book ahead is taking a risk.
    It can be very confusing because so many dive boats are available and will want your business.

I do know people who have been on Mike Ball Dive expeditions and apparantly it is known as a leading liveaboard dive company.They offer 3 nights and go out to the Cod Hole and Coral Sea.
    you can contact www.mikeball.com

Once you arrive in Cairns you can head to the nearest tourist information (plenty around)and they will advise you what dive centres are operating.

If you need any other help,please contact me on my HP or VT mail.
    Cheers Dorrise

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines