Caen Travel Answers

change location
Rodaroo's Profile Photo

Car Hire while in Caen / Normandy

by Rodaroo Online Now Jul 6, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Hello again...
I am looking a recommendation for Car Hire company for my visit in Caen.
There are many suppliers/brokers online, but would rather deal with a reputable company, in good standing.
Any suggestions would be great! and something close to the rail station.

Thanks so much

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Re: Car Hire while in Caen / Normandy

by rexvaughan Online Now Jul 6, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Bookmark.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • alza's Profile Photo

by alza Online Now Jul 6, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Hi Rod, Just had a quick look at your previous post about Caen and surroundings in early September.
    There are many offers for a month's rental (called "leasing" I think), when buying a plane ticket. Prices from Montreal are great for this because flight Montreal-Paris and main cities in France are very popular during summer.
    But it looks like you only need a rental car for a few days before dropping the car off.
    I'd look into EuropCar, they are reputable, in good standing. But that's just me.
    I think I also used Auto Europe at some point.
    I used Avis for one month in Italy last summer. Okay but I preferred EuropCar experiences.
    In researching best prices last summer for Italy, I found Kimwell Auto Rental but found it easier to deal with Avis for drop-off conditions so can't speak for Kimwell.

Read all fine print re insurance carefully. Your Canadian credit card may cover things that you *must* waive with the rental company if you want to be entitled to reimbursement. A lot depends on your own circumstances.
    For a few days, I'd go for the easiest arrangement from Caen, even if a few dollars more. Go for a company that is present everywhere in the area you're visiting. EuropCar is one of those. :) Hope this helps! And enjoy Normandy!

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Jul 6, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Hi. We usually lease but you must keep the car 21 days or longer to do that. You can use any of the standard rental agencies. In Europe you might find lower prices at http://www.autoeurope.com or http://www.kemwel.com/

We've leased through both and they are completely reliable. Check at least four rental agencies and take the best price. The offers can vary wildly.

There is also Novacar http://www.novacarhire.com/ and we haven't used them but friends have and were happy with them. It's worth checking all of them. The Novacar has a pickup at the Caen train station. I don't know about the others.

Enjoy your trip.

• Rodaroo's Profile Photo

by Rodaroo Online Now Jul 7, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Thanks for your help.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines