Caen Travel Answers

change location

Help! Has anyone travelled to Caen/Normandy in November???

by kkjohnson521 Online Now Jun 22, 2011 at 8:08 PM

I am planning a trip for my extended family. We have 12 people in our group. (ages 18-70). We would like to visit Paris, Normandy (DDay Beaches) and Mont St. Michel.

The only time we can travel together is over the Thanksgiving holidays.

I keep getting mixed information regarding the weather. How cold is it? How much daylight? (i've heard from as little as 3 hours of daylight to 8 hours.)

I would very much appreciate anyone who has been there in November/December to share their experience with me... I'm so confused. Would you go at that time or put it off for a few years?

Thank you in advance,

KKJ

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • ranger49's Profile Photo

Re: Help! Has anyone travelled to Caen/Normandy in November???

by ranger49 Online Now Jun 22, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Thanksgiving in the US? So not just November but towards the end of the month. It is impossible to predict the weather and you could be lucky ... but November can be one of the bleakest months in northern Europe - cold and damp - and dark with the shortest day of the year less than 3 weeks away.
    I once accompanied one of my daughters to Paris on her late November birthday - it poured with rain and was very cold.
    We visit the Beaches frequently, they are very exposed to northerly winds and can be very cold.Late November is certainly not the time of year I would choose to make a special visit - particularly if it means making a ver long journey.
    Although the summer months cannot be guaranteed to have warm sunny days at least there are more daylight hours and a much better hope of sunshine and dry days.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Jun 23, 2011 at 12:54 AM

Hi
    I agree with the previous poster. It's certainly not the ideal time to visit Normandy (especially the beaches), but to look on the bright side, you won't have to contend with any crowds!
    To give you an idea of daylight, on 24 November, sunrise in Caen is at 08:25 and sunset is at 17:11, giving you precisely 8 hours 46 minutes and 32 seconds of daylight. Bear in mind that if the weather is overcast, you will have an added gloom factor. It's probably going to be coldish (a few degrees above freezing - but unlikely to snow, especially on the coast), but probably the wind and the rain are going to be a bigger issue to contend with than the absolute temperature itself. So go prepared with thick jackets, waterproofs, wind cheaters, hats, gloves, scarves etc. Just bear in mind that indoor venues will usually have central heating, so it makes sense to dress in layers which you can add or discard as required, otherwise if you just have a couple of really heavy items, you run the risk of overheating indoors.
    I don't think that Paris in November is a real issue: there are so many wonderful things to do indoors if the weather is bad that you probably still won't get around to doing half of what you'd like to see! And if you are equipped to cope with the weather at the coast, you'll be fine to walk around Paris provided that it isn't absolutely pouring.
    Given that November is absolute low season for tourists, be sure to check that the attraction that you want to visit outside Paris aren't closed at the time of year (Paris gets tourists year round, so it won't be an issue then).
    Regards
    Cathy

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Jun 23, 2011 at 2:23 AM

Hi, I live just 30 kms from the Mont st Michel and in November it is bleak..... You could be lucky though, last year was warmer in February than June. It's not that it's cold just usually a wind blowing at the same time as rain. Get's dark around 16h30 depending on the weather, light about 9h00. Whoever told you 3 hours of daylight was probably thinking of Denmark!!!!! But I agree with above if you really want to make the trip just stick to Paris and the immediate area. Weather may not be a lot better but there is so much to do in- or outdoors.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines