Caen Travel Answers

change location
chloe96's Profile Photo

Caen places...

by chloe96 Online Now Apr 1, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Hi everyone
Me and my family are going to be at caen for the whole day on Wednesday (7.4.2010) I was hoping if anyone knew any good places to see that are not over 20 miles from Caen!!
Many thanks
ChloƩ

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • puerto_lover's Profile Photo

Re: Caen places...

by puerto_lover Online Now Apr 1, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Bayeux and the famous tapestry are worth visiting but it is 20 miles away. http://www.tapestry-bayeux.com/

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Apr 1, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Right in Caen (near the Caen ring road, so a couple of kms out from the centre)is the WWII memorial.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Apr 1, 2010 at 10:00 PM

There is a lot to do in Caen. We spent an entire day in the Caen Peace Memorial although you certainly could see highlights in a half day. Right downtown is the church of St. Pierre which is fascinating. You can walk across the street to the Chateau. There is a wonderful Fine Arts Museum within the fortifications, a church with visiting exhibits and a Museum of Norman Life that is fun. (There is also parking up there.)

Back across the street, there is a quaint old town area where you could lunch. Then walk to either the Abbaye des Hommes or in the opposite direction the Abbaye des Femmes. Both are definitely worth the visit. There are parks and shopping if you are interested in either.

Type Caen into the VT Search Window above and see what VT Members have already written about the city. There will be all kinds of Tips on Things to Do and Transportation (if you don't have a car).

You can also click on the name of anyone who answers you here to go to their Home Page here in VT. Then click on their Travel Pages and visit their Caen Page to see what other things they have posted. You will find tips, reviews, photos and web links to help you. It's a great resource here on VT.

Have a great trip.

• Andreja86's Profile Photo

by Andreja86 Online Now Apr 5, 2010 at 1:52 AM

you just gotta go to the "le memorial de caen" museum.
    It is the best museum i've ever seen. I went there with my family for 5 years ago and i would go there again.
    It is a bit expensive, but you'll get a lot out of it.

memorial-caen.fr/portail/ind...

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Apr 5, 2010 at 4:35 PM

You might enjoy the official Caen Tourist web site (in English). You can look up hours, addresses and little maps for everything.
    tourisme.caen.fr/anglais/ind...

It's a very nice web site with all the necessary information.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines