Caen Travel Answers

change location

Bayeux & Environs Restaurant Recommendations

by pcsqueen Online Now Aug 10, 2005 at 10:52 AM

Hi.
We're taking a friend to Normandy in September. Staying in a gite about 10kms east of Bayeux.
On our last trip, in 2001, we found some okay restarants in Bayeux, but nothing great.
We're looking for reasonably-priced, non-tourist-ripoff places that specialize in Norman cuisine. It's our bud's first time in France, and we want him to have a great experience.
If anyone has any recommendations, I'd be delighted to collect them.
Thanks in advance.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Roadquill's Profile Photo

RE: Bayeux & Environs Restaurant Recommendations

by Roadquill Online Now Aug 10, 2005 at 12:02 PM

I am in the same predicament, looking for a good restuarant near Bayeau in September. I have several names and will be checking them out this week. I will let you know.

Karl

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Bayeux & Environs Restaurant Recommendations

by pcsqueen Online Now Aug 10, 2005 at 12:58 PM

Hey, Karl -

I'm doing some web-based research, but not finding much of anything.

In what area are you going to be staying? From what I'm reading, Caen and places north seem to be more densely saturated with restaurants.

I did read a review for a restaurant in Bayeux called Amaryllis. But, it was only one person's opinion.
    What I've found, is that Bayeux tends to have its share of tourist-oriented places. The three times I've been there have been in May-June, which, as you can imagine, can be a circus. I'm wondering what the situation will be in September (and the weather!!).

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Bayeux & Environs Restaurant Recommendations

by Roadquill Online Now Aug 11, 2005 at 12:12 PM

Try checking out these (described as gourmet) in the central and NW Normandy area:

Chateau de Sully in Bayeux
    Pave d'Auge in bEuvron-en-Auge\
    La Mere Oulard in Mont-St-Michel (tres cher)
    La Terrasse in l'Assiete, Honfleur
    Le Ferme St.-Simeon in Honfleur

I have not tried any of them but I have seen them noted in travel books or comments on other sites.

I am still trying to decide on where to stay for only one night.

Karl

• RE: RE: Bayeux & Environs Restaurant Recommendations

by pcsqueen Online Now Aug 13, 2005 at 7:51 AM

What do you want to see? I've been there three times, so I know the geography pretty well, at least between St Mere Eglise and Caen. Happy to make some suggestions regarding B&Bs, attractions, etc.
    Actually, I'm familiar with a few restaurants, in Bayeux. It's just been three years, and one became a dissapointment on a second visit.
    Our friend's really psyched to be travelling to France and Germany, so we want his experience to be a memorable one -- and for all of the right reasons!
    Happy to share whatever info I have, including maps and guides.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines