Cabo San Lucas Travel Answers

change location

Day of the Dead--Los Cabos Region

by ekseattle Online Now Sep 24, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Hi there, I will be in the Los Cabos region over Day of the dead. (Actually there Oct 30-Nov 2 before moving on to other locations)
I am curious if any of the local towns have anything that goes on...ie highly decorated cemeteries...parades...that sort of thing.
Also, can someone advise on taking pictures at the cemeteries...ie is it looked down upon due to this being a special time or will there be lots of people doing it...
Small towns are fine...I actually would prefer to get out of Cabo itself as I am not there for the clubs...
Thanks
Ed

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

Re: Day of the Dead--Los Cabos Region

by ViajesdelMundo Online Now Sep 25, 2009 at 1:19 PM

I live about 1.5 hours north of Cabo, in Los Barriles, a much smaller, less touristy town.(link to my LB page: "LOS BARRILES, BAJA SUR" - Los Barriles by ViajesdelMundo ) Here, mostly the observances are in homes and of course at the cemetery. (Nov. 1st is for departed children, the 2nd is for all others). Their parties begin on night of the 31st.

I don't know for sure, but I have never heard of there being any special public observances in Cabo either, other than a lot of family altars with the marigolds, candles, photos, favorite foods, being erected at Plaza Amelia Wilkes, on 2nd November and a prize given for the 'best'.

I am sure that there will be the cemetery happenings. Also, all the markers along the roads get cleaned up and decorated then too.

There would be the special confections and breads for sale at the appropriate tiendas, of course, along with many items of CALAVERAS and KATRINAS.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines