Byron Bay Travel Answers

change location

Is Byron a good destination with children

by Lucyn Online Now May 11, 2006 at 5:52 AM

We're out in Australia for 6 weeks this July and August, 5 weeks working in Sydney and then a week free in August. We're thinking about flying up to Byron for a week, but I'm wondering if it's a good place to stay with children - ours are aged 9 and 3. We're looking for somewhere with some sunshine but don't want to go to the far north as we visited there on our last trip. Hoping to find somewhere pretty and laid back, with plenty of opportunities for cafes and people watching, walking and beach days. Some yoga for me would be good too! Does Byron still fit that profile or is it overdeveloped now? Any comments welcome, especially if anyone out there has any other destinations you'd recommend.
Thank you

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • adelaidean's Profile Photo

RE: Is Byron a good destination with children

by adelaidean Online Now May 11, 2006 at 3:26 PM

we were there about a month ago..and just loved it...I dont think its overdeveloped...not like the Gold Coast!! We had a ball at the beach...my son spend half his days being dunked by the waves...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Is Byron a good destination with children

by Anne12 Online Now May 11, 2006 at 8:37 PM

I agree with Deb, Byron is a great place for families.
    There are plenty of cafe's/ people watching and you will find yoga sessions being held somewhere, plus massage and other alternative health remedies.

• thedouglas's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Is Byron a good destination with children

by thedouglas Online Now May 12, 2006 at 1:13 PM

Byron Bay is a lovely place - used to be a sleepy little country beachside, before the money started rolling in. Interesting new culture, with the locals, hippies from the surrounding areas, tourists and the emerging nouveau riche! It will be a bit cool at that time of year - and, rule of thumb is the more north you move, the warmer it gets. If you haven't been to Noosa Heads (Sunshine Coast), only about 2-3 hours from Byron, worth a look. Or - there are gorgeous little coastal places, perfect for kids in NSW - like Pottsville. Another consideration, if you do look at QLD, is Stradbroke Island - but I don't think you'll find yoga there!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines