Byron Bay Travel Answers

change location

Driving from Sydney to Byron Bay

by noazy Online Now Jan 22, 2006 at 7:46 PM

Hi there
My boyfriend and I are planning a 1 week trip to Byron Bay in mid February. We are tossing up between driving (and staying a night at the beginning and end in Port Macquarie) or flying (and spending an extra two nights in Byron).
I would love some feedback as to whether the drive up to Byron is worthwhile. Is there much to see and what is the best route to take ? Any little tips would be great if you think that the road trip is a good idea... (ie places of interest, cafes/towns to stop at)
Thanks

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • larseren's Profile Photo

RE: Driving from Sydney to Byron Bay

by larseren Online Now Jan 23, 2006 at 3:16 AM

Hi fellas
    No doubt, drive!!!!
    Do the inland route (hunter valley-region/new England range) up and coastal down. There is absolutely stunning views along the ride and nothing can beat the easy going coastal towns of Oz. Port M is a nice spot, Also check out Coffs Harbour. A stopover at lovely Port Stephens is also a must.
    But definately drive, Byron is a handfull at best, loud and cramped with yobbos and wannabees. Do the lighthouse, catch a few waves, do a few coldies and ship out. (its overrated and expensive anyway) Read up on Les Nortons adventures around Oz by Robert g. Barrett, its a killer!!!
    Happy travels
    Lars, Norway

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SmilingTraveller's Profile Photo

by SmilingTraveller Online Now Jan 24, 2006 at 1:23 AM

Yes drive. The route up north on the Pacific Highway is beautiful, especially as you get further north. There are many little towns to pop in and visit along the way, but you need to leave the highway. Great places to stop for a visit are Coffs Harbour, Nambucca Heads, Yamba, Port Stephens & Smokey Cape to name but a few.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Jan 24, 2006 at 4:58 PM

Hi a fantastic drive , Port Macquarie will be a good stopover, also consider getting off the Pacific Highway and visiting some of the small coastal towns such as Nelsons Bay etc. See my Byron Bay VT Page
    Good Luck, Mikebb

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Driving from Sydney to Byron Bay

by TheWanderingCamel Online Now Feb 28, 2006 at 4:26 AM

Do the drive - it's great. Lots about that part of NSW on TWC'S NSW page.
    leyle

• JessH's Profile Photo

by JessH Online Now Jun 27, 2006 at 4:23 AM

Guys,
    how long is the drive approximately?

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Jun 27, 2006 at 3:47 PM

Hi
    This drive is absolutely fantastic, however if you just drive straight along the Pacific Highway you will miss the great beauty of the beaches, small towns and the hinterland rain forrest. A stopover is essential and Port Macquarie is the placeon the way up, on the return trip stopover at Port Stephens.
    Some web sites for you:

www.visitnsw.com.au
    www.portstephens.org.au
    www.portmacquarieinfo.com.au
    www.bellingermagic.com
    www.visitbyronbay.com
    www.discoverballina.com
    Byron Bay would be 600km or more from Sydney and there are speed restrictions.An overnight stopover is recommended, but you can drive there in a day, but it will be a long day

From Byron Bay it is only a 1.5 hour drive to the Gold Coast in Queensland, on the way you will pass through the beach town of Kingscliffe, Tweed Heads, Coolangatta and onto the fabulous Gold Coast, a must see when you are so close.

www.tweedcoolangatta.com.au
    We drove from the Gold Coast to Sydney in 2003 and took 4 days, not enough time. We are now preparing for a 5 week trip commencing last week August, starting with week in Noosa Beach (Qld) then Hamilton Island (Whitsundays) the remainder will be driving from Brisbane to Sydney just stopping overnight at small NSW coastal towns, some in from the coast and enjoying the national forrests, rainforrestof the hinterland, say 4 days Port Macquarie and a few days in Sydney. You are welcome to view my pages, I have some photos of Gold Coast ( Surfers Paradise), Byron Bay,Port Stephens. One place I am looking forward to is the Dorrigo National Park, I understand it is fantastic, it is not far from Port Macquarie and it may be worthwhile visiting if you have time on your wat to or from Byron Bay
    good Luck, Mikebb

• JessH's Profile Photo

by JessH Online Now Jun 27, 2006 at 9:42 PM

Croiky!
    Thanks for all the great info ;-)

Jess ('c',)

Your Answer