Bùzios Travel Answers

change location
Backjamm's Profile Photo

Getting to Buzios by Rental Car

by Backjamm Online Now Jan 6, 2005 at 3:12 PM

Planning on renting a car at airport and driving to Buzios. Who can give me some detailed directions that will get me there without getting lost and arriving safely? First time in Brazil and on its roads.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Re: Getting to Buzios by Rental Car

by NrvN Online Now Jan 7, 2005 at 6:42 AM

It is fairly easy, just cross ponto rio-niteroi (the "big" bridge) and then just north-wards. You should be able to buy a decent map at any news stance. Have fun

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Backjamm's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Getting to Buzios by Rental Car

by Backjamm Online Now Jan 8, 2005 at 4:17 PM

Thank you for the input. We have never been there and we are concerned about our safety. Gettting lost in Rio doesn't sound like a good thing to do when you don't know the language and you look like a tourist. I think the hard part will be getting out of Rio. Thanks again. Any other helpful hints will be appreciated.

• Re: Re: Getting to Buzios by Rental Car

by NrvN Online Now Jan 9, 2005 at 5:24 AM

You should be fine. From Santos Dumont (domestic airport - downtown) you just follow the road next to the see (at your right) and you head straight for the bridge. From the international airport you keep the sea at your left and you will also head for the bridge. Onwards it is straight to Cabo Frio / Buzios. A good map is "Guia quatro rodas" - "Estradas 2005". I am sure you should be able to buy it at the airport too. One tip: don't make a full stop at police checkpoints, just moderate your speed only. I made the mistake once to stop (as is required in most countries I know with road blocks). Of course I had to pull over and they checked everything thoroughly. I was with a Brasilian friend and she made me stay near the car, while she went inside with the police officers. This was just to make sure that they do not put "anything" in your car after which you will need to pay a bribe to continue your journey. About safety: I have been in Brasil more than 25 times in the last 4/5 years (mainly Sao Paulo, Rio and the South) and, deus volente, have never experienced anything bad nor threatening.

• Backjamm's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Getting to Buzios by Rental Car

by Backjamm Online Now Jan 9, 2005 at 6:43 AM

Thanks again. You have been most helpful!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines