Butte

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Follow-up to previous question

by deckerfam Online Now Sep 8, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Just spoke with my Dad. He said that there were actually 3 identical mansions on Granite Street. We rented the one (I believe) was on a corner, which was owned by Mr. and Mrs. Byrd (the town bakers) who lived in the 2nd mansion next door. Dad said that there was also a third mansion next door to the Byrds in which a retired college professor (woman) lived in. The three mansions were not exactly identical, but very, very similar.
      Being small children, we were certain that the mansion was haunted. There were two very small rooms in the gables where we would tell ghost stories and scare ourselves silly. There was also a locked door to a room which had no floor ---this conjured up all sorts of frightening scenarios for us. The huge basement garage with period laundry room was another very eerie part of the home. Dad said Mr. Byrd didn't want to rent it until Dad offered $500/mo which was a lot of money in 1966. We moved their in June 1966 and moved back to Colorado Springs, CO in September 1967. How fortunate we were to have such an amazing experience in Butte, Montana.
      Any info you could share about this home, or the trio, would be greatly appreciated. Brightest Blessings, Anne Decker ---Sedona, AZ

3 Answers Sep 9, 2013 at 5:41 PM
    • 2 identical mansions on Granite St at the top of the Hill.

by deckerfam Online Now Sep 8, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Good morning! During 1966-68 my father was transferred to Butte to manage the Social Security office. At that time, all but one of my eight brothers and sisters lived at home, so we needed a large place to rent. We were very fortunate to live in a mansion on a corner (I believe) on Granite St at the top of a hill. We lived next door to Mr. & Mrs. Byrd who owned both homes. They owned and operated the local bakery.
      Although, I was only 6-8 years old, I have vivid memories of this fantastic home...gables, woodwork, fireplaces, basement garage, etc. I was wondering what the address was and if it was still in a state of good repair, as it was in the sixties.
      Also, we have a motorhome and I wondered if you could suggest a good time (and possibly motor home park) of the year to visit Butte.
      We live in Sedona, AZ. My parents live in Clarkdale near Jerome, AZ ---William Clark's other hangout!

1 Answer Sep 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM
    • Butte Montana Lodging

by bcala Online Now Jun 13, 2005 at 9:46 AM

Looking for feedback on the Copper King Lodge by the airport. I think it used to be owned by Ramada and is now owned by another company. Thanks!