Busan Travel Answers

change location
ellyse's Profile Photo

1-day Busan sightseeing + Jeju overnight ferry questions

by ellyse Online Now Jul 16, 2011 at 12:41 AM

My friend and I will be in Busan for roughly a day (weekday) in mid Aug. We'll be arriving in the late afternoon on Thu, and leaving on the ferry at 7 pm on Fri. We will be relying on public transport to get around. We have some questions regarding sightseeing and the overnight ferry to Jeju. Many thanks in advance for any answers! :)

1) What can we reasonably fit into our itinerary in this short time? We're looking for stuff that's unique to Busan, amazing views or awesome experiences. I don't mind museums if they're good. :) Not terribly keen on beaches per se. Tentatively, I have Jagalchi market, Taejongdae, Gwangan beach (night views) and Yongdusan park on my list. Please feel free to give your opinions and suggestions!

2) For those who have been to both (or either), what are your opinions on Beomeosa and Haedong Yonggungsa? On the rest of our trip, we'll already be going to Bulguksa and Seokguram at Gyeongju. I know Beomeosa is Busan's most renowned temple, but on a travel blog I read that the other one has amazing sea views.

3) What are you conditions like for the cheapest class on the Busan-Jeju overnight ferries? Will we need to bring our own sleeping bags, or will there be bedding provided?

4) Do we need to arrive a certain amount of time before the departure time of the ferry in order to buy tickets and stake out good spots?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • DSwede's Profile Photo

Re: 1-day Busan sightseeing + Jeju overnight ferry questions

by DSwede Online Now Jul 16, 2011 at 11:18 AM

1) If you take away the museums, the other main highlights of Busan can easily be seen in your window of opportunity. All of the places that listed would be recommended by me. Also, if you have time, walk up the hill on the east side of Haeundae Beach, up to Dalmaji Hill, you'll have nice views from there.

2) I would argue that Bulguksa is Korea's most renowned temple, so you've will have already visited the iconic palace. Beomeosa is a nice temple, it is one of the oldest around, and is a good place to start hikes which quickly get you out of the noise of the city. Yonggungsa is a relatively modern temple, constructed to look older than it is. But I completely agree that its location on the rocky coast with the water coming up to walkways and bridges is unique. Having already seen Bulguksa, I'd recommend you visit Yonggungsa first and Beomeosa if time allows.

3~4) I've not taken the ferry to Busan, but have taken the ferry many times to Japan. Summers are busy, so best to get your tickets in advance. Search the internet, have your host/hotel book for you, or go to the ferry terminal the day before. Once you have tickets, you need only arrive ~30 minutes before the scheduled departure.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Busan