Travel Answers
Burma

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• An affordable ex colonial hotel in Myanmar?

Maymyo 6 hours ago

Hi There

I am looking on line and cant work out which hotels are still operational. I'm going to be in Myanmar in August. Any suggestions please for an affordable hotel - ex colonial type place?

many thanks

Jo

more
    • unique venue

Inle Lake Mar 28, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Is that possible to hold a conference of rainforest environment in Inle  lake with theme dinner and unique venue?

more
    • yangon to mandalay

Mandalay Apr 14, 2014 at 9:57 AM

hi ! would like to know about travelling from yangon to mandalay...i have a liking for train travel

more
    • Trek Kalaw to Inle - festival days 2014

Kalaw Apr 11, 2014 at 4:30 AM

We will be arriving in Kalaw on the 13th and was hoping to do the 3 day trek to Inle April 14, 15, 16. However, the trek guide we emailed told us that they will do no trekking on the day of the festivals.
      Is this absolute? Do you think we can still find a trek guide even during that period?

more
    • Water festival

Rangoon Mar 26, 2014 at 4:43 AM

Is it okay to travel to Burma during the water festival? Will all the shop be closed??

more
    • Mandalay Airport Transit time

Mandalay Apr 6, 2014 at 4:01 AM

Hi, we have a 9.30 flight from Mandalay. We will have to fly from Pagan to Mandalay before. There is a flight arriving at 8.15 - I assume the airport is not so big, but would we have enough time for the transit? Thanks!

more
    • paddington28's Profile Photo

living local

Burma Mar 24, 2014 at 12:32 PM

im going to Burma in sept/october this year,

How easy and safe would it be to get friendly enough with locals,to be able to stay with them for a week and bought the family a months worth of food and maybe go fishing with them! basically i just want to live like them and local for a week!
      many thanks,Ben

more

Destinia airline

Burma Mar 31, 2014 at 4:29 AM

Looking at flights from Mandalay to Hanoi in October,alot of the flights seem to be crazy 20 hour layovers in other countries,however i have found a company called air destinia, have any heard of this company and are they reputable.many thanks

more
    • yangon to mandalay

Mandalay Apr 14, 2014 at 9:57 AM

hi ! would like to know about travelling from yangon to mandalay...i have a liking for train travel

2 Answers Apr 15, 2014 at 6:45 AM
    • Trek Kalaw to Inle - festival days 2014

Kalaw Apr 11, 2014 at 4:30 AM

We will be arriving in Kalaw on the 13th and was hoping to do the 3 day trek to Inle April 14, 15, 16. However, the trek guide we emailed told us that they will do no trekking on the day of the festivals.
      Is this absolute? Do you think we can still find a trek guide even during that period?

2 Answers Apr 15, 2014 at 3:29 AM
    • Mandalay Airport Transit time

Mandalay Apr 6, 2014 at 4:01 AM

Hi, we have a 9.30 flight from Mandalay. We will have to fly from Pagan to Mandalay before. There is a flight arriving at 8.15 - I assume the airport is not so big, but would we have enough time for the transit? Thanks!

3 Answers Apr 7, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Destinia airline

Burma Mar 31, 2014 at 4:29 AM

Looking at flights from Mandalay to Hanoi in October,alot of the flights seem to be crazy 20 hour layovers in other countries,however i have found a company called air destinia, have any heard of this company and are they reputable.many thanks

6 Answers Apr 2, 2014 at 7:34 AM
    • unique venue

Inle Lake Mar 28, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Is that possible to hold a conference of rainforest environment in Inle  lake with theme dinner and unique venue?

1 Answer Mar 28, 2014 at 9:43 PM
    • Water festival

Rangoon Mar 26, 2014 at 4:43 AM

Is it okay to travel to Burma during the water festival? Will all the shop be closed??

2 Answers Mar 29, 2014 at 1:10 PM

living local

Burma Mar 24, 2014 at 12:32 PM

im going to Burma in sept/october this year,

How easy and safe would it be to get friendly enough with locals,to be able to stay with them for a week and bought the family a months worth of food and maybe go fishing with them! basically i just want to live like them and local for a week!
      many thanks,Ben

3 Answers Mar 25, 2014 at 11:48 AM

snakes in Burma

Burma Mar 19, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Many thanks to every ones advice on the snakes in Burma,much appreciated

1 Answer Mar 19, 2014 at 9:48 AM
    • Meditation visa. What is needed/allowed

Burma Mar 19, 2014 at 2:29 AM

Hello

I am new to this site so hope I am posting this in the right place.
      -last year I got a sponsorship form for a mediation visa whilst I was in Burma.
      Does anyone know

-What elase is needed? I have read that a recommendation letter is required but don,t know what that is.
      -I have friends in Nuang Shwe and I will want to visit them for 2 weeks. The rest of the time I will be at the monastery.
      Will I be allowed to do that? Who would check?
      -I have been unable to get any info from the UK embassy of Myanmar and would rather get my visa there although I may have to go to Bangkok/KL in the end. has anyone got a visa from London recently?

Thanks very much.

3 Answers Mar 19, 2014 at 9:38 PM
    • Dubin64's Profile Photo

Where to go in Myanmar/Burma

Burma Mar 16, 2014 at 9:31 AM

I am interested in going to Myanmar/Burma for a week and was wandering if anyone has some recommendations on where to go and what to see. I will be coming in from Bangkok so I must land in Yangon or Mandalay or Naypyitaw. Any help and advice is really appreciated. Thx

5 Answers Apr 6, 2014 at 10:54 AM
    • seanmccurry's Profile Photo

tips for Yangon

Burma Mar 14, 2014 at 3:30 AM

Hi. I am thinking of visiting Yangon for a couple of nights flying in from Bangkok. Will I need A visa. If so where do you get visa from. I am British. we will be traveling light where is the best area to stay which has good cheap street food bars for a beer nightlife. I am traveling with my wife. Thanks.

10 Answers Mar 18, 2014 at 4:10 PM
    • Budget hotels

Rangoon Mar 5, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Hi
      I am travelling for2 nights to Yangon at end april first time.
      which is good place to stay and budget hotels. what are
      sigh seeings in city areas.
      Any info on visa on arrival for Indian passport holders.

Thanks .

5 Answers Apr 1, 2014 at 1:16 AM
    • Stendy's Profile Photo

Car Rental + Driver in Yangon

Rangoon Mar 5, 2014 at 2:33 AM

Hello Guys,
      Am looking for a local car rental with driver in Yangon. I can easily find some of them in web, but mostly it's a big company which offer daily car hire with quite a high prices. So am wondering, do you guys know how much is the reasonable rate there? Any recommended local driver?
      Cheers, Stendy

3 Answers Mar 5, 2014 at 4:54 PM
    • Burma in hot April during New Years

Burma Feb 12, 2014 at 6:34 AM

Hi everyone,

I am planning to go to Burma in April - during the hottest time of the year. I have also only 9 days including travel time. I don't particularly enjoy the heat and hate that I have such a short period of time, but it's the only time I have the opportunity to go.

The cities I plan to visit are Yangon, Bagan, and Inle Lake. We have decided to save Mandalay for another time.

Right now my itinerary is as follow:

April 9: Arrive to Yangon
      April 10: fly from Yangon to Bagan (arrive early in AM)
      April 11: Bagan
      April 12: Bagan
      April 13: fly to Inle Lake (arrive in AM)
      April 14: Inle Lake
      April 15: fly back to Yagon (arrive in early evening)
      April 16: Yangon
      April 17: fly out of Yagon

A few questions:

1) Reading a few forums, everyone says that you should allow more time for Bagan. I've pretty much given 3 full days. Given how hot it will be, do you think that I should reduce this time and allow more time in Inle Lake instead? Unless there is much more to do in the city, I'm afraid I might not make it with the heat/sun exposure visiting the pagoda - I think I might be able to pull off a day at most (we will probably be taking the horse cart option as biking seems suicidal at this point). So do you think 3 days is too much?

2) We will be visiting Burma during New Years - Water festival. I'm both intrigued but apprehensive at the same time. The festival looks incredible, but at the same time most guide books I've seen say that everything will be closed and shut down. Will we, as tourists, have difficulty eating out and walking around (we hit New Years when we arrive in Inle Lake, and the celebration ends when we'll be in Yangon). Will it be extremely difficult to get around?

3) Finally this is a strange question, but I suffer from an immense phobia of snakes which has impaired my travelling plans in the past. It's an actual phobia, not just a fear. I've been wanting to visit Burma for so long but when I researched around (as I always have to do with anyone of my travel destination) - it seems that they are common everywhere - living in pagodas, etc. everywhere. Is this true or have I just read horror stories?

Any help would be tremendously appreciated!

6 Answers Mar 14, 2014 at 5:44 AM
    • dannyjacob's Profile Photo

Balloon Ride over Mandalay and Inle Lake

Burma Feb 11, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Have anyone experienced the Balloon Ride over Mandalay and Inle Lake? Would love to hear some comments from anyone who did take such a service.

1 Answer Feb 17, 2014 at 6:58 AM
    • airport to hotel panda yangon

Burma Feb 2, 2014 at 4:04 PM

hi, please could you advise what is the best way to make this journey. I am a 67 year old female who will be travelling alone at this point, also i have a slight mobility problem. thanks in advance.
      PS I will be travelling early March 2014.

3 Answers Feb 11, 2014 at 12:34 AM
    • Has anyone ever bussed through?

Burma Jan 15, 2014 at 12:06 PM

I want to go from Kathmandu, Nepal to Bangkok, Thailand. Has anyone ever tried bussing through there and if so how was your experience?

3 Answers Mar 17, 2014 at 4:02 PM
    • Dankersi's Profile Photo

Horsebackriding in Burma, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines

Burma Jan 11, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Hello all,

I'm going to travel to Burma, Malaysia, Indonesia and Philippines frome March till July 2014. I really want to go horsebackriding somewhere (a few hours or a couple of days) and I do have ridingexperience. Does anybody know where to go and how i can arrange it?

Thank you!

9 Answers Mar 20, 2014 at 2:31 PM
    • Camilla1612's Profile Photo

Where do we go from here?

Burma Dec 31, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Hello all travelers.
      After illness, my partner and I had to change plans from trekking in Nepal to a six month "beach recreation" in South East Asia. Due to the change of plans we have not been able to prepare this trip and we are running a bit out of time.

We are currently living in Vietnam, but we leave the country on the 10th of January. From here we do not know where to go. We are looking for a small quiet place in South East Asia where it is possible to relax. A place with calm, not a party area or a tourist magnet, but a bit isolated peaceful place. We would love to stay very close to the beach, if not on the beach and with snorkeling waters nearby. Because of the duration of our stay, we need a kitchen and also the opportunity to purchase foods . We are hoping to rent a small house, bungalow, cottage, appartment ect. We would prefer to stay in the same location throughout the period, but are open to make a move or two.
      Our rent budget is around: U.S. $500 per month depending on the spot. (excluding food and electricity)

Can we "with ease" as foreigners move to Burma and stay for 6 months?
      How is the malaria situation in Burma?,
      Is it possible to find what we are looking for in Burma, - or do we need to go elsewhere?

What to do from here and where to go?
      Any other thoughts or advise how to handle our situation are more then welcome.

Thank you very much
      and a happy new year!

Kind regards
      Camilla

2 Answers Feb 14, 2014 at 12:05 AM
    • night bus from bagan to yangon

Burma Dec 22, 2013 at 6:29 AM

hi...
      on February next year, I have plan to visit Myanmar..
      Does anyone know the night bus schedule from bagan to yangon ?

thanks,
      -ana-

2 Answers Dec 22, 2013 at 7:29 PM
    • indiatravel's Profile Photo

please help

Burma Dec 18, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Hello
      March next year I will visit Myanmar Who can give me some advice for a cheap hotel How high are the hotel prices now these days, will stay 28 days in Myanmar, has anyone an idea how much cash I need
      please give me some advice
      thanks in advance

8 Answers Mar 9, 2014 at 7:36 AM
    • Entry to Burma from Ranong

Burma Dec 11, 2013 at 3:22 AM

Hi there! We were thinking of crossing into Burma for a week or so from Ranong in Southern Thailand over the Xmas period. Has anyone made this crossing and is there much to see when we get there. Bit of a last minute idea. Living in Thailand so will plan a trip further north at a later date. Happy to wander about using any local transport. No plans to travel too far. Any recommendations/suggestions for accommodation while we are there would be great. Also, could we get a visa on arrival and what would the duration be? Many thanks

Viv

1 Answer Dec 11, 2013 at 4:51 PM
    • Bagan or Inle Lake for an extra night?

Inle Lake Dec 10, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I am planning 10 days in Myanmar in January and have to decide to spend an extra night in Bagan or Inle Lake. Any suggestions???
      Thanks!

6 Answers Jan 14, 2014 at 2:34 PM
    • ornalik7865's Profile Photo

myitkyina-is it possible to visit?

Myitkyina Dec 8, 2013 at 12:31 AM

hallo
      i want to travel to myitkyina next februar
      is tis area open these days to tourist?
      is it possible to fo there by ships as it written in the konely planet book???

thank you
      orna

1 Answer Dec 22, 2013 at 7:51 PM
    • How can I hire a cab in Bagan, Myanmar for two full days.

Rangoon Nov 28, 2013 at 8:48 PM

How can I hire a cab in Bagan, Myanmar for two full days.

5 Answers Dec 22, 2013 at 5:59 PM
    • Myanmar through eyes of a local

Burma Nov 28, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Hi there,

I'm 24 years old and I would like to make a trip to Myanmar for 14-21 days. Have not decided yet if I want to do this on my own or in a small group. What I do know is that I want to see Myanmar through the eyes of a local, using public transport instead of a personal driver, seeing places that you would never get to see with a touristic travel agency. I would love for instance to overnight in a buddhist monastery. I wont go between November-February, just to avoid too many tourists.
      I assume I should contact a local agency, or maybe I could organise this whole trip on my own. I dont know.

Maybe you could have some tips for me?

Looking forward to your reply. Thanks in advance for your tips.

Kind regards!

3 Answers Mar 8, 2014 at 7:25 AM
    • petert51's Profile Photo

Itinery Comments Sought

Burma Nov 26, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Hi,

We are planning our second trip to Myanmar and would appreciate comments on our proposed Itinerary shown below. Any suggestions as to transport method between towns, are daily travel ideas achievable, etc most welcome. Accomodation ideas at stop overs also sought.

Day
      1 Yangon full day
      2 Yangon to Mawlamyine
      3 Mawlamyine to Hpa-an
      4 Hpa-an full day
      5 Hpa-an to Yangon via Kyaikto (Hanging Rock) & Bago
      6 Yangon to Inle Lake via Heho
      7 Nyaungshwe full day
      8 Nyaungshwe day trip to Taunggyi & K
      9 Nyaungshwe full day
      10 Nyaungshwe to Pindaya
      11 Pindaya to Mandalay via Heho
      12 Mandalay full day
      13 Mandalay to Mowyna
      14 Mowyna full day
      15 Mowyna to Bagan
      16 Bagan full day
      17 Bagan full day
      18 Bagan to Yangon

Thanks
      Peter

6 Answers Dec 28, 2013 at 9:29 AM
    • horaires trains

Taunggyi Nov 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM

quels sont les horaires de train entre taunggyi et thazi ?
      Merci
      Liliane

2 Answers Dec 22, 2013 at 8:55 PM
    • asia2011's Profile Photo

Myanmar Reliable Tour Operator.

Rangoon Nov 14, 2013 at 2:24 AM

It's there any one know about Myanmar travels agents ?

2 Answers Nov 17, 2013 at 8:50 PM
    • Trek from Kalaw to Inle

Burma Nov 12, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Has anybody done this hike recently? Any recommendations for a guide? What is a typical rate for the guide/accommodation/meals package these days?

Thanks to anyone who responds.
      TravelerMB

1 Answer Dec 2, 2013 at 8:39 AM