change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• gaolei's Profile Photo

Viking river cruise starting in Mandalay

Burma Jan 8, 2015 at 1:51 PM

Has anyone taken the Viking river cruise that starts in Mandalay? Any advice you can share about the cruise, including room preferences/problem, food, tours and anything else you can share.
      Thanks!

Ray

more
    • How to get from Bagan to Pindaya Cave?

Bagan Dec 31, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Hello!
      I need to figure out how to get from Bagan to Golden Cave in Pindaya and there doesn´t seem to be a bus... Does anyone have a tip for this?

Thank you so much and Happy New Year!!!!

more
    • Nampan, anyone been there?

Shan State Dec 27, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Hello guys, has anyone been to Nampan? I heard the market is awesome!

Thanks guys!
      Teo

more
    • Can we still visit Chin State, without Tour Guides?

Burma Jan 7, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Stop me if I'm barking up the wrong tree here.

I came across this page while doing my research, I'm interested to visit Chin State.
      And I'm aware of the situation there at the moment, but is the state open for tourist? as for year 2015?

Here is the dated page (circa-2012)
      ananda-travel.com/UK/myanmar...

Thanks!
      Teo
      Malaysia

more
    • Walking up or down to Golden Rock

Kyaiktiyo Dec 31, 2014 at 1:28 AM

Hi to all and Happy New Year!
      I will have so little time in Myanmar so I wanted to ask how to economize it.
      From Yangon I will take a bus to Kinput, but I read I would get there around noon. I also read that it takes 5 hours to walk up to Golden Rock, so it will be already 17h..and the last bus back is at 18h... Do you think it would be better to do it other way round - to arrive to Golden Rock by bus and trunk and then to walk down 3 hours? Is there enough time to catch the bus? Or do you think it is worth sleeping in Kinput and waking up early and walk the way up?
      Thank you so much in advance!
      Best

more
    • How long does it take to travel from Mandalay to Inle Lake by car

Burma Jan 10, 2015 at 6:48 AM

Many travel forums stated the distance from Mandalay to Inle Lake is 320km, the driving time is around 7 to 9 hours. However, when I checked with the DistanceFrom.com and the DistanceCalculator.com, both sites stated that 262km is the distance, and 4 hr 9 min is the driving time. Has anyone ever done this route by car? Would appreciate any feed back.

more
    • EUROS in Burma/Myanmar?

Burma Jan 10, 2015 at 12:34 PM

I have told one can get better rate for USD 100 bill notes, is that true? Where I can change money without problems? Is there any use for Euros as - I quess - one need small notes, too? Thanks for help!

more
    • EUROS in Burma/Myanmar?

Burma Jan 10, 2015 at 12:34 PM

I have told one can get better rate for USD 100 bill notes, is that true? Where I can change money without problems? Is there any use for Euros as - I quess - one need small notes, too? Thanks for help!

13 Answers Jan 12, 2015 at 2:48 AM
    • How long does it take to travel from Mandalay to Inle Lake by car

Burma Jan 10, 2015 at 6:48 AM

Many travel forums stated the distance from Mandalay to Inle Lake is 320km, the driving time is around 7 to 9 hours. However, when I checked with the DistanceFrom.com and the DistanceCalculator.com, both sites stated that 262km is the distance, and 4 hr 9 min is the driving time. Has anyone ever done this route by car? Would appreciate any feed back.

6 Answers Jan 12, 2015 at 3:21 AM
    • gaolei's Profile Photo

Viking river cruise starting in Mandalay

Burma Jan 8, 2015 at 1:51 PM

Has anyone taken the Viking river cruise that starts in Mandalay? Any advice you can share about the cruise, including room preferences/problem, food, tours and anything else you can share.
      Thanks!

Ray

1 Answer Jan 8, 2015 at 2:51 PM
    • Can we still visit Chin State, without Tour Guides?

Burma Jan 7, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Stop me if I'm barking up the wrong tree here.

I came across this page while doing my research, I'm interested to visit Chin State.
      And I'm aware of the situation there at the moment, but is the state open for tourist? as for year 2015?

Here is the dated page (circa-2012)
      ananda-travel.com/UK/myanmar...

Thanks!
      Teo
      Malaysia

4 Answers Jan 15, 2015 at 8:41 PM
    • How to get from Bagan to Pindaya Cave?

Bagan Dec 31, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Hello!
      I need to figure out how to get from Bagan to Golden Cave in Pindaya and there doesn´t seem to be a bus... Does anyone have a tip for this?

Thank you so much and Happy New Year!!!!

1 Answer Dec 31, 2014 at 3:36 AM
    • Walking up or down to Golden Rock

Kyaiktiyo Dec 31, 2014 at 1:28 AM

Hi to all and Happy New Year!
      I will have so little time in Myanmar so I wanted to ask how to economize it.
      From Yangon I will take a bus to Kinput, but I read I would get there around noon. I also read that it takes 5 hours to walk up to Golden Rock, so it will be already 17h..and the last bus back is at 18h... Do you think it would be better to do it other way round - to arrive to Golden Rock by bus and trunk and then to walk down 3 hours? Is there enough time to catch the bus? Or do you think it is worth sleeping in Kinput and waking up early and walk the way up?
      Thank you so much in advance!
      Best

5 Answers Jan 7, 2015 at 12:29 AM
    • Nampan, anyone been there?

Shan State Dec 27, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Hello guys, has anyone been to Nampan? I heard the market is awesome!

Thanks guys!
      Teo

2 Answers Jan 7, 2015 at 9:43 AM
    • Mandat thingyan

Thingyan Dec 12, 2014 at 11:53 AM

I havent been to myanmar for almost 10 years for thingyan. May i know where is the best mandat to sit and how do i rent car to visit around in thingyan?

1 Answer Dec 12, 2014 at 12:37 PM
    • budget accommodation in Mandalay, Bagan, Inle lake and Yangoon

Burma Dec 10, 2014 at 11:09 PM

does anybody know any good places? Travelling with a friend in Feb for 2 weeks

12 Answers Dec 19, 2014 at 3:33 AM
    • ambar_bs's Profile Photo

10 days in Myanmar; possible itinerary

Burma Nov 28, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Hi, I will be in Myanmar for 10 days.
      I have shortlisted the places I'd like to see. Wanted to know whether 10 days would be enough for the following sites:

• Bagan
      • Mrauk U
      • Inle Lake
      • Mandalay
      • U Bein Bridge
      • Yangon

Thanks!

10 Answers Dec 18, 2014 at 10:36 PM
    • Reliability of Asiatravel booking engine

Rangoon Nov 8, 2014 at 12:41 AM

Has anyone used Asiatravel booking engine to book hotels in S E Asia, particularly Yangon in Myanmar?

6 Answers Nov 13, 2014 at 6:41 PM
    • some questions for preparing my next trip

Rangoon Oct 31, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Hi to all of you who live in Burma! I am going to visit this wonderful country end of january 2015. Would be great if you can support me by answering some questions.

Do I need guestroom reservations or will I find a room easily?
      Is it possible to get tickets for the bus / train just one day before I continue my trip?

What is better to bring with - USD or EUR?
      Can I withdraw money at ATM (maestro)?
      Are prepaid SIM cars available for tourists?
      Which are the little goodies (except money) that people in Burma like ?

Maybe you also have some hints about
      - traffic and road conditions for motorcycles at Mandalay and north
      - visiting a project of social work
      - living like a buddhist monk (one day should be enough!)
      - experiencing the life of burmese farmer, lawer, teacher, ... or whatever

Thank you so much for giving me an idea about the current siutation and all your ideas for a pleasant stay.

8 Answers Jan 10, 2015 at 10:00 AM
    • stamporama's Profile Photo

Oway booking site

Burma Oct 1, 2014 at 3:29 AM

Does anyone have any experience booking domestic flights on https://oway.com.mm/? Just want to make sure bookings here will be honored by the local airlines.

Thanks!

4 Answers Nov 29, 2014 at 9:15 AM
    • traveling to Myawaddy to Ranong.

Burma Sep 24, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Are there any busses or vans running from myawaddy to ranong? How much it will cost? How long it will takes to go from myawaddy to ranong?

1 Answer Sep 25, 2014 at 8:25 AM
    • stamporama's Profile Photo

Is it OK to skip Yangon?

Burma Sep 16, 2014 at 7:47 AM

I'm currently thinking about doing a 5-day trip in Feb. 2015 I wish to focus on Mandalay and Bagan. I noticed that some Asian airlines now fly to Mandalay which I think is highly convenient. But since one does not have to fly into Yangon to get to those 2 places, would I miss a lot by omitting Yangon? From what I've read the Shewadagon pagoda seems to be the only sight really worth visiting in the city.

Your thoughts? Thanks for any replies.

8 Answers Sep 17, 2014 at 5:12 PM
    • paddington28's Profile Photo

Meditation

Burma Sep 12, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Well,your prob all fed up with me keeping saying i'm of to Burma next week,but i just have 1 last question,i 100% want to do a 10 day meditation course over there,can i just walk in or do i have to book in advance!
      many thanks,Ben

16 Answers Oct 9, 2014 at 7:35 AM
    • Myanmar-Laos trip

Burma Sep 7, 2014 at 12:42 AM

If I wanted to go to Yangon, Bagan & Mandalay in Myanmar and Luang Prabang and Vientiane in Laos, how many days should I allocate to do such? Is it possible to do this in 7-8 days? Pls advise. Thanks!

6 Answers Sep 7, 2014 at 4:05 PM
    • mickybleck's Profile Photo

Travel Dec. 2014 and/or Jan. 15 - realistic? solo?

Burma Aug 17, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Hi All,
      I am thinking about going to Myanmar/Burma (likely with a companion) around Christmas/January.
      I would like to do it on my/our own (experienced solo traveller South-America, Africa, Indonesia/India), but I know accomododation, transportation and organisation modes might be different in Burma.
      Tine frame will be 3-4 weeks, itinary the typical tourist things plus some explorations out of the beaten track.
      So far I have planned nil.
      So here my questions:
      Is it possible to do around this time of the year without prebooking accomodation (except for first nights after arrival)? Especially at this time of the year (monastery floor will be interesting for 1 or 2 days, but not for the entire vacation ), or do you advise against this period of time?
      Is it realistic to go into more detailed planning with ca. 3 months to go (for other countries I would not even consider this a protential challenge)?
      Any infos on areas of safety concerns from persons who have just been there?

Looking forward to your replies and thanks in advance,
      happy travels
      Daniela

Your

6 Answers Sep 20, 2014 at 5:58 AM
    • happycats's Profile Photo

Six Days (Nov4th - 10th) in Burma with an 18 month old

Burma Jul 24, 2014 at 5:37 AM

Hello,

I have six days in Burma with my wife and 18 month old on 4th - 10th November and was wondering if anyone had advice as to an itinerary? We fly in to Yangon and would like to explore the city and then we would like to spend some time at a beach, I appreciate there is lots more to the country than we can fit in but our time is very pushed. I had read that Ngapali beach is beautiful and I can fly there but i can't seem to get Mandalay Air's website to work, are flights frequent?
      Also what is accommodation like at Ngapali and access to emergency services? My wife and I have traveled and lived all over Asia so we are fairly robust but we have to think about the little chap now also, so would need a good standard of hotel and access to decent medical facilities should anything happen (God forbid).
      Thanks in advance for any help and advice you can give me.

2 Answers Jul 24, 2014 at 6:28 AM
    • Mandalay, Myanmar

Mandalay Jul 18, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Can you see Mandalay, Myanmar in one day? What is the most economical and safe place to stay there for one night in August?

3 Answers Nov 29, 2014 at 9:18 AM
    • phingy's Profile Photo

Air KBZ flights to Bagan

Bagan Jul 15, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Hello,

I have been looking at Air KBZ website and noted that the winter tickets from Yangon to Bagan are already available. Has anyone flew with Air KBZ before and how reliable is their service in terms of timing and delays?

Thanks!

5 Answers Oct 31, 2014 at 10:35 AM
    • Burma in August with a child?

Burma Jul 11, 2014 at 9:40 PM

I have the chance to take a week or 2 off in August, so I plan to take my 3yr old back to S.E. Asia. Last year we spent a week at Ao Nang, with an overnight stop either side in BKK and SIN. I'm considering Myanmar as an option, flying into Yangon. Looking for exploring, relaxing, and hopefully some interaction with local kids. Internal flights are fine. I can't find much about travelling in the area with toddlers, is it not recommended?

7 Answers Jul 14, 2014 at 3:31 AM
    • sirfish's Profile Photo

Visa for 2 months

Burma Jul 8, 2014 at 12:16 PM

How to get a 2 month travel visa

5 Answers Nov 29, 2014 at 9:20 AM
    • Transport from Kengtong to Tachilek, Maesai, Chiang Rai

Kengtung Jul 6, 2014 at 3:06 AM

Hi,

I want to take a bus from Kengtong to Tachilek, Maesai, Chiang Rai. How is it possible?
      Thanks

2 Answers Jul 6, 2014 at 3:47 AM
    • English level?

Rangoon Jul 1, 2014 at 11:20 PM

What is the general level of European languages there? For example, can I use English or French widely? I guess not. Is the English level like Thailand maybe?

6 Answers Jul 14, 2014 at 3:46 AM
    • Hire a Mini Van + chauffeur

Burma Jun 30, 2014 at 4:56 AM

Good afternoon,

We are planning a trip to Thailand and if possible Myanmar.
      This is our itinerary:
      - 6-8 July Bangkok
      - 9-13 Chang mai
      Cross over the border at Tachilek – Maisai
      - 14-16 July Inle lake
      - 16-18 Juli Bagan
      - 18-20 Juli Tangon
      Cross over the border at Myawaddy – Mesok
      - 20-21 July Bangkok
      - 21-28 July Koh Samui
      (The dates are flexible and we are open to suggestions)

For our trip in Myanmar we would like to hire a mini Van with chauffeur.

Is this possible? And how much will it cost?
      We are a family of 6.

3 Answers Jun 30, 2014 at 8:09 PM
    • phingy's Profile Photo

When can I start booking YGN-BGN-YGN winter air tickets?

Bagan Jun 9, 2014 at 2:37 AM

Hello all!

I have booked a December trip to Yangon and Bagan. Just wondering how soon can I buy the return plane tickets to Bagan? When does the winter ticket get released and how is the best way to buy?

Appreciate any advice! Thanks!

4 Answers Jul 7, 2014 at 3:48 AM
    • roamer61's Profile Photo

Itinerary Help

Burma May 19, 2014 at 1:52 PM

I am looking at Myanmar as a possible alternative to Cambodia. Please help with formulating a prospective itinerary.
      7-9 days is fine with Yangon and Bagan being the main objectives. A day in Mandalay and vicinity and Inle Lake as well.

11 Answers May 29, 2014 at 12:11 PM
    • roamer61's Profile Photo

Myanmar and Money

Burma May 16, 2014 at 5:02 AM

What do people do since they apparently still favor fresh US bills with no markings, creases, etc and are printed no earlier than 2006-08? if I go there and get money from a bank (here), no way of telling the condition of the currency I will get.

20 Answers Jun 20, 2014 at 4:38 AM
    • phingy's Profile Photo

Getting around Myanmar: Yangon & Bagan

Burma Apr 21, 2014 at 2:05 AM

Hello,

My friend and I are planning a Myanmar trip covering Yangon and Bagan in end December, looking at a 6 day trip. I have a few questions and would appreciate any comments!

1. Is there a train service from Yangon to Bagan? How much does it cost and is it reliable?
      2. How many days to spend in Bagan? I'm thinking of 3 days 2 nights
      3. Is Inle Lake worth the effort?

Just wondering is there any way to reduce the cost because the flight tickets are quite expensive. We are planning to do: SG-YG-BG-YG-SG.

Appreciate any comments!!

12 Answers May 29, 2014 at 8:37 AM