Burma Travel Answers

change location
Tipitasa's Profile Photo

Booking low-budget rooms in advance in August/September-necessary?

by Tipitasa Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Hello!
I am planning on traveling to Burma in August and September, which are supposedly low seasons. I've read a lot about all rooms in Burma being full most of the time and quite expensive, but mostly I can only find info about December to March, so I would really like to know how it is in August and September. Would I have a lot of problem with finding cheap rooms on the spot? And how much does the cheap (low budget-I'm a student, I don't need A/C) rooms approximately cost? I am well aware that I have to book my accommodation at least in Yangon.
I would really appreciate the help!
Thank you,
Natasha

Quote & Answer
15 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: Booking low-budget rooms in advance in August/September-necessary?

by davidjo Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Natahsa, don't forget that aug/sep will be rainy season so come prepared.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Booking low-budget rooms in advance in August/September-necessary?

by tweetyeve Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Natahsa, remember to bring umbrella. Yes, try to book one month or two weeks in advance will do.... but do not book only when you arrive, you will have a hard time finding the guest house under the heavy rain.... enjoy ur stay...

• Tipitasa's Profile Photo

by Tipitasa Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Yeah, I know that. But a lot greener also, isn't that so? :)
    Would you recommend me to rather go in May or June? I'm a bit afraid that everything won't be as green and overgrown as in pictures because of the long dry season...

by Tipitasa Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 3:43 PM

by davidjo Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 8:31 PM

weather2travel.com/climate-g...

As you can see by the chart August is the wettest month and there is not much difference in temp from June through September ( except for June where it will be very hot and muggy. ) I would stick to the original plans of Aug/Sept if you want to see the greenery, just come prepared as i mentioned before. And member that you are unlikely to see rain everyday, sometimes it won't rain for a week!!

by tweetyeve Online Now Mar 30, 2013 at 3:56 AM

In lower Myanmar you will see rain almost everyday but not in middle and upper Myanmar.
    You won't see greenery when you are in city area.
    Even if you travel by road to Mandalay or Bagan, You wont see much greenery as the new high way doesn't really pass by a lot of villages unless old high ways.
    You should be able to find accommodation around 25~35 USD per room per night.
    If you are adventurous, you can even stay at temple which you only have to do small donations.
    All the best...

• Mique's Profile Photo

by Mique Online Now Apr 2, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Keep in mind that Myanmar is not a cheap destination overall. There is a very low number of very cheap rooms available. As stated above, $20 is a cheap room in Yangon, Mandaly is not far behind. In Bagan (Nyuang-U) you can still get rooms for less but in Inle I think you won't get anything for less that $15-$20.

August and September are months where travel is good as long as you're prepared like someone already said. I've travelled in all seasons and never found it a problem.

by Tipitasa Online Now Apr 3, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Well I hope I can find something cheaper. I've read on Thorntree that it is possible :)

Thank you all for help!

by davidjo Online Now Apr 3, 2013 at 3:23 AM

Did you check the dates of the posting on thorn tree? Even if the postings are a year old things are changing fast in that country!!

by Tipitasa Online Now Apr 3, 2013 at 4:43 AM

Yes, I've heard that, so I only used the posts from december12-march13 to get some budget ideas :)

• Mique's Profile Photo

by Mique Online Now Apr 7, 2013 at 10:09 PM

The Mahabandoola Guesthouse and the Garden Guesthouse used to be the cheapest possible. Not sure if they are still there. The Garden has been on the 'will be closed soon' list for years. I haven't been downtown of late so they could still be there.

You might find a cheap accommodation somewhere if you look hard enough but do keep in mind that taxi fares will add up and there aren't many budget budget options available in Yangon. It'll also be the rainy season so traipsing around with a backpack in a downpour is not the nicest thing in the world.

Again, Myanmar (and Yangon especially) is not a budget budget destination. Never has been and will not be for some years to come.

• Cho45's Profile Photo

by Cho45 Online Now Apr 9, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Before all the political/social/economic changes, Myanmar/Burma used to be one of the cheapest destinations in the world. Not anymore, simply because of the law of supply and demand. So don't expect cheap rates for even guesthouses. However, if you are planning to go there in August it is the low tourist season, so you might be able to get better rates and/or choices. In the past I remember on my regular visits to Yangon, all the hotels and guesthouses were virtually empty and the hoteliers and guesthouse owners were practically begging for business! Sad to say, this is no longer the case....

by simonboyd Online Now Apr 22, 2013 at 6:29 AM

Try to call them instead of using the remote email requests. I had the same issue last year when I tried to book a cheap hotel in Yangon.

Try to call Okinawa guest house or MotherLand 2 Inn. They usually more useful when trying to book through phone than the internet.

Please find more information at a blog I just found time to write:
    tipter.com/trips/burma-adven...

by Tipitasa Online Now Apr 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Thank you all!
    Now, I have decided that I will be rather going in May :)

• Mique's Profile Photo

by Mique Online Now May 2, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Just heard that all prices are up for the guesthouses mentioned. apparently the garden is now around $25 en Okinawa is way above that.

In Yangon and Mandalay prices are bizarre but outside it shouldn't be to bad yet. Here there is a lot of business people coming in and they need places to stay, pushing everybody else out...

Around mid-May the rainy season starts. That is the time we're all happy with the rain (ask again 2 months later... ). Before that it can be around 40 degrees celsius or hotter. So be prepared.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Burma Travel Answer Locations