Burma Travel Answers

change location

Sea Kayaking southern Burma

by Lightworks Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Has the political situation in Burma changed enough to ethically travel there or does our money go to the government. The kayaking companies seem to rely on motor boats to shuttle guests around and then drop them off for limited kayaking. Is the coral in the Mergui and Lampi areas in good shape? Thanks, David

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

Re: Sea Kayaking southern Burma

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Even before the current process of opening up, it was easy enough to ensure that your money went to the people. You could hire local guides, stay in private hotels and take private transport. I've never really understood the point of boycotting a country. Clearly it's not the government who suffers, but its people.

That said, the tourism industry is in the midst of tremendous growth. However, it has a long way to go. Specialty activities, like sea kayaking, are a long way off being "developed"

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • planxty's Profile Photo

Re: Sea Kayaking southern Burma

by planxty Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I agree entirely with fluffy. I visited Burma in the "bad old days", and acted like he did to ensure maximum benefit for the people. Can you name me one country in the world where a proportion of your tourist money does not go to a Government? I certainly can't think of one. Be aware also that all is not completely rosy in the garden regrettably and, as I write this, there are problems that are nothing to do with the Govt. Try this link.

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne...

Dn't misunderstand this answer at all as I am not trying to put you off visiting, far from it. Burma / Myanmar still remains one of my favourite ever destinations and I do really want to return some day. Go, be careful where you spend your money if you are worried about ethics, and enjoy an absolute wonderland of a country.

Sorry but I can't assist with the kayaking part of the question as I didn't do it.

Hope this assists,

fergy.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Burma Travel Answer Locations