Burma Travel Answers

change location
reublim's Profile Photo

Myanmar in August Itinerary

by reublim Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 3:55 AM

Hi,

I will be in Myanmar for 14 days. Here is a tentative itinerary. What do you think?
Also, which between Kyaukme or Hsipaw be worth spending some time at?

31 July-depart to Yangon
1 Aug-Yangon
2 Aug-depart by bus to Bagan
3, 4, 5, Aug-Bagan, Mt Popa
6 Aug-depart by boat to Mandalay
7 Aug-Mandalay
8 Aug-Ancient capitals around Mandalay
9 Aug-depart to Pyin Oo Lwin
10 Aug-Pyin Oo Lwin
11, 12 Aug-Spirit Festival?, Kwaukme/Hsipaw
13 Aug-departure to Bangkok.

Thanks!

Quote & Answer
17 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: Myanmar in August Itinerary

by davidjo Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 4:04 AM

Don't forget that August is in the riany season and the humidity will be high so come prepared. You seem to be following the regular tourist trail which is fine, but why do you not visit Inle Lake!!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • reublim's Profile Photo

by reublim Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 4:09 AM

Yup it is precisely because it is rainy that I am focusing on the central plains. I intend to travel to Myanmar again for Yangon and Kalaw/Inle Lake trek.

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 4:14 AM

OK, let's hope that the weather will be favorable for you!

• hambone47's Profile Photo

by hambone47 Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 6:09 AM

Inle Lake would be a great place to offset the heat & humidity of August. Aside from that, I just think you HAVE to experience Inle Lake on any trip to Burma.

• Skorpios's Profile Photo

by Skorpios Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Hi,
    That's true August is rainy season but don't worry for that. I have been already 5 tomes in Myanmar and 3 in August. You may have big shower, generally late in afternoon. The tour could be OK but how do you plan to travel, from Mandala to Pyin Oo Lwin and then to Kyaukwm and Hsipaw? Remember also that from Bagan to Mandalay you are going up stream. Are you travelling alone or with company? If you need I may suggest you where to stay, where to eat and if needed also a driver.

1 member found this helpful

• Re: Myanmar in August Itinerary

by tweetyeve Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 3:54 AM

1 Aug Yangon – Day tour Yangon
    2 Aug Yangon-Bagan – You will only arrive in the evening
    3,4,5 Aug Bagan– Enough to cover Bagan and Mt Popa, if you are not too much into Pagodas and Architecture then 2 full days is good enough
    6 Aug Bagan-Mandalay – You will need 3 days 2 nights to reach Bagan to Mandalay if you take Cruise and the cruise will cost you more than air tickets. You can do 1 or 2 hrs river boat during your Bagan Stay
    7, 8 Aug Mandalay – You can spend one day for Sagain, Amarapura and one day for Mandalay will be enough
    9 Aug – Take bus to Pyin Oo Lwin
    10 Aug – Pyin Oo Lwin
    11,12 visit Inle instead of Kwakme/Hispaw

Happy travelling

by tweetyeve Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 3:59 AM

1 Aug Yangon – Day tour Yangon
    2 Aug Yangon-Bagan – You will only arrive in the evening
    3,4,5 Aug Bagan– Enough to cover Bagan and Mt Popa, if you are not too much into Pagodas and Architecture then 2 full days is good enough
    6 Aug Bagan-Mandalay – You will need 3 days 2 nights to reach Bagan to Mandalay if you take Cruise and the cruise will cost you more than air tickets. You can do 1 or 2 hrs river boat during your Bagan Stay
    7, 8 Aug Mandalay – You can spend one day for Sagain, Amarapura and one day for Mandalay will be enough
    9 Aug – Take bus to Pyin Oo Lwin
    10 Aug – Pyin Oo Lwin
    11,12 visit Inle instead of Kwakme/Hispaw

by reublim Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 4:02 AM

Too bad that's all the time I have this time round. I will b leaving Myanmar via Mandalay, so will definitely stay around the region for awhile.

by reublim Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 4:06 AM

Skorpios wrote:
    Hi, That's true August is rainy season but don't worry for that. I have been already 5 tomes in Myanmar and 3 in August. You may have big shower, generally late in afternoon. The tour could be OK but how do you plan to travel, from Mandala to Pyin Oo Lwin and then to Kyaukwm and Hsipaw? Remember also that from Bagan to Mandalay you are going up stream. Are you travelling alone or with company? If you need I may suggest you where to stay, where to eat and if needed also a driver.

Hi, so far the plan is bus/taxi from Mandalay to Pyin Oo Lwin, then train to Kyaukme/Hsipaw as I would like to experience the Gokteik Viaduct, then bus back to Mandalay. I think I may not go through with the idea of the boat from Bagan as it would take a whole day, would likely take the bus. I am traveling with another friend. I would appreciate any recommendations from you! Thanks!

by Skorpios Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 4:22 AM

Yes, I though that Kyaukme - Hsipaw was related to the Gokteik bridge. I have done it also but from Hsipaw to Kyaukme. I drive from Pyin Oo Lwin till Hsipaw, stay overnight, and take a train in the morning till Kyaukme, with the driver waiting for me at the train station. For your train ticket at Hsipaw, it takes time since you are a foreigner they have to register your document. So far I understand that you are travelling on a tight budget, but if you can take in consederation a flight like Yangon - Bagan which leave early in the morning or Bagan - Mandalay, so you a spare quite a full day, which could be important if you want to go to Hsipaw. In Pyin Oo Lwin you will not be in hurry to find out a taxi and a good price for it.

by reublim Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 4:35 AM

Skorpios wrote:
    Yes, I though that Kyaukme - Hsipaw was related to the Gokteik bridge. I have done it also but from Hsipaw to Kyaukme. I drive from Pyin Oo Lwin till Hsipaw, stay overnight, and take a train in the morning till Kyaukme, with the driver waiting for me at the train station. For your train ticket at Hsipaw, it takes time since you are a foreigner they have to register your document. So far I understand that you are travelling on a tight budget, but if you can take in consederation a flight like Yangon - Bagan which leave early in the morning or Bagan - Mandalay, so you a spare quite a full day, which could be important if you want to go to Hsipaw. In Pyin Oo Lwin you will not be in hurry to find out a taxi and a good price for it. 

Hmm as I understand Gokteik is between Pyin Oo Lwin and Kyaukme, so I may just bus to Kyaukme and train back to Pyin Oo Lwin if there's not enough time.

Is Hsipaw worth the extra day or two to vsit?

Are there sleeper buses for any of the routes that I intend to travel on?

Thanks!

• Mique's Profile Photo

by Mique Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 9:21 PM

You should be fine traveling in August. Even to Inle if you would like. I should know, I've lived here for a fair few years now. But yes, do come prepared.

The bus from Yangon to Bagan is a fast and cheap way. It is anywhere from 12 to 14 hours but since it is overnight this isn't a problem.

Hsipaw is very nice and relaxing but there is no reason why you should not stay in Kyaukme instead. It is as nice in my opinion.

When you visit Mandaly and go around the ancient cities.. don't forget to go to Paleik. Not the snake pagoda (nice but not great) but the square kilometer of temples near the village.

I'd drop the boat trip. Done it but found it utterly boring after 1 hour (go to Mingun and you've seen more in that half hour). If you do come back the trip from Hpa-an to Moulemein is much more interesting.

• Mique's Profile Photo

You should be fine traveling in August. Even to Inle if you would like. I should know, I've lived here for a fair few years now. But yes, do come prepared.

The bus from Yangon to Bagan is a fast and cheap way. It is anywhere from 12 to 14 hours but since it is overnight this isn't a problem.

Hsipaw is very nice and relaxing but there is no reason why you should not stay in Kyaukme instead. It is as nice in my opinion.

When you visit Mandaly and go around the ancient cities.. don't forget to go to Paleik. Not the snake pagoda (nice but not great) but the square kilometer of temples near the village.

I'd drop the boat trip. Done it but found it utterly boring after 1 hour (go to Mingun and you've seen more in that half hour). If you do come back the trip from Hpa-an to Moulemein is much more interesting.

• Mique's Profile Photo

by WineBuffTraveller Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 12:30 AM

The direct overnight train from Rangoon to Bagan leaves Rangoon main station at 16:00 every day, arriving Bagan at 09:30 next morning.

A bed in the sleeping-car costs $50, an Upper class reclining seat $40.

Booking opens 3 days in advance. To buy tickets, go to the advance booking office which is not in the main station but in Bogyoke Aung San road on the south side of the tracks, opposite the Sakura Tower and diagonally opposite the Traders Hotel, look for the entrance sign shown in the photo below.

It is open daily 06:00-10:00 & 13:00-16:00. It looks more like a farmyard than a reservations office! Walk off the main road, 30m down the track into the booking hall proper, and you'll see a row of about 10 ticket windows. You can also book train tickets through your hotel or through the Rangoon MTT office at the Sule Paya.

by reublim Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 5:22 AM

WineBuffTraveller wrote:
    The direct overnight train from Rangoon to Bagan leaves Rangoon main station at 16:00 every day, arriving Bagan at 09:30 next morning.

A bed in the sleeping-car costs $50, an Upper class reclining seat $40.

Booking opens 3 days in advance. To buy tickets, go to the advance booking office which is not in the main station but in Bogyoke Aung San road on the south side of the tracks, opposite the Sakura Tower and diagonally opposite the Traders Hotel, look for the entrance sign shown in the photo below.

It is open daily 06:00-10:00 & 13:00-16:00. It looks more like a farmyard than a reservations office! Walk off the main road, 30m down the track into the booking hall proper, and you'll see a row of about 10 ticket windows. You can also book train tickets through your hotel or through the Rangoon MTT office at the Sule Paya.

Thanks for your help!

by Skorpios Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 7:15 AM

The night train seemms to be the best solution. I did not know that the train was running now, 10 years ago I see tha train station in Bagan, a very nice building, even if far from everything....

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Burma Travel Answer Locations