Burma Travel Answers

change location

Costs in Burma

by AmyYork Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 7:28 AM

I will be travelling to Burma in February 2013. I am aware ATMs are rare and I should bring in USD. I will be travelling with my partner for 28 days hitting the main areas, we are seasoned low budget travellers but how much USD will we need to take? Many thanks in advance

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

Re: Costs in Burma

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 8:01 AM

How long is a piece of string?

Asking about expenses on a trip can vary greatly from one traveller to another. Some will eat the cheapest street food, stay in the most horrible hostels and take the slowest most uncomfortable transport. While they don't actually see or do any attractions, they'll brag about $20/day

Conversely, some travellers will fly to save time, stay more upmarket and eat at only western looking place spending $100/day.

For an experienced travellers on the budget end of things, seeing and doing a couple tours/entrance fees you could get by with $30-$40/day.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Don't forget your dollar notes must be in excellent condition otherwise they won't be accepted

1 member found this helpful

• planxty's Profile Photo

by planxty Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 9:18 AM

There are a few issues here and I should say that it is a few years since I visited and I know things are changing very rapidly in that country now.

During the course of my 28 bday visa I spent just a shade under $1000US. That was for everything excluding my flight to Rangoon. It included all accomodation, food, drink, souvenirs and all transportation including one internal flight. I should say that I was not stinting myself although not staying in 5* hotels and I could have done it for very much less.

The difference now is that, with the change of circumstances in the country, many more visitors are going now than before and I am told there is something of a shortage of bedspaces. With the economic laws of supply and demand, this is pushing accomodation prices and other prices up.

I realise these are not specifics but I hope it gives you an idea of the amounts you may need to bring.

fergy.

• DennyP's Profile Photo

by DennyP Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 4:14 AM

Like what you are going to do: I travelled through Myanmar "budget and as Fergy mentioned things this last 18 months have changed dramatically..but money advice and accomodation and flight advice is on my related pages...Yangon, Bagan , Mandalay, and Heho ..Lake Inle..get your money well organised beforehand and also make sure that you have NEW ..US dollars otherwise you will be going nowhere.!!!..good luck have a great journey, its a great country..Denny

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Re: Costs in Burma

by sapaguide Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 4:27 AM

No you can withdraw money in Yangon. There are ATM to withdraw by credit or visa card now. No worry
    ----------------------------
    www.burmatour.net

• Mique's Profile Photo

by Mique Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 12:39 AM

actually, you can only withdraw money with Visa and Mastercard in Yangon at 2 (two!) ATM's last I know of. That said, it is better than nothing.

Hotel prices in Yangon are beyond absurd especially for what you get. You should think in the range of $30-$50 for a very basic room.

Outside of Yangon I heard that it isn't so bad yet and you can get a reasonable hotel room e.g. in Bagan at the Bagan Princess (About $40 -$50 with swimming pool)

Food... Teashops are cheap and usually clean (go where everyone else goes to). A friend rice will set you back about $2 in general throughout the country just to give you an indication.

by planxty Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Listen to Sandra (mique). I know her knowledge of the country is excellent and I certainly used it to great advantage when was there, for which again many thanks.

• Re: Costs in Burma

by Macey38 Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 4:46 AM

Hi. You may be , interested in this recent article about MasterCard in Myanmar

'' 500 POS Terminals Expected to Roll Out in Myanmar by Year End
    MasterCard Extends Reach in Myanmar with Licensing of Two More Banks
    Singapore – Card payments will be accepted at more than 500 restaurants, retail outlets and hotels in Myanmar by the end of the year, following the announcement of a rollout of Point-of-Sale (POS) terminals by Co-operative Bank Ltd (CB Bank) and MasterCard Worldwide today after its first POS transaction at Golden Myanmar Airlines, Myanmar's first public, budget airline.
    The nationwide rollout will see POS credit card acceptance in hotels and retail outlets in Yangon, followed by the cities of Nay Pyi Taw, Mandalay and Bagan towards the second quarter of 2013.
    POS acceptance will enable merchants in Myanmar to accept MasterCard payment cards, giving them access to electronic commerce and the ability to participate in the open, global payments system that MasterCard enables. These merchants will also benefit from being part of a network of thousands of issuing and acquiring financial institutions and their partners. CB Bank staff will also be organizing training sessions for front-line staff on how to use the terminals.''

by planxty Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 11:50 AM

It will be interesting to see if Visa make a similar move or if Mastercard have sewn up some sort of exclusive deal there. With the obvious increase in tourism happening / about to happen, it seems like a potential goldmine.

Apologies for hijacking the thread slightly.

• Mique's Profile Photo

by Mique Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Visa is here now too. Saw a huge add the other day. And shortly we'll have the first KFC in Yangon. The floodgates are open.....

by planxty Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 11:02 PM

KFC? How long before a MacDonalds concession in the middle of Bagan? Well, another place lost then.

• DennyP's Profile Photo

by DennyP Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 4:40 AM

Yes..I couldn't agree more ..what a shame..

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Burma Travel Answer Locations