Burma Travel Answers

change location
FridgeMagnet's Profile Photo

Will it be possible to get accommodation?

by FridgeMagnet Online Now Feb 16, 2013 at 3:13 AM

I have been reading on another website about how busy Myanmar is now. Probably 2013 will be even busier than 2012. I have been thinking about going for a few years and finally decided it would be this year. I have already booked my flight to Bangkok for November and intend flying with AirAsia to Myanmar from there. But after reading some comments on the other site about how difficult it is to get accommodation now I am having doubts. One person described on their blog about hotels not honoring reservations and about seeing people walking down the street almost in tears because they couldn't find anywhere to stay.

Are things really that bad? I need someone to talk me back into my trip!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: Will it be possible to get accommodation?

by davidjo Online Now Feb 16, 2013 at 3:20 AM

According to many reports there is a shortage of accommodation as the country cannot cope with the influx of tourists that want to explore this newly accessible country, therefore the prices ar going up according to demand. Let us hope that the government will encourage locals to open up their house and accept visitors in homestays.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Richard.GVA's Profile Photo

Re: Will it be possible to get accommodation?

by Richard.GVA Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I spent a week in Yangon in November and am glad that I booked in advanced (through booking.com). When I looked for hotels, most places in Mandalay and Yangon seemed full, but it did not seem so when I was there. Some pretend that the squeeze is not real, but mainly to push prices up. I still prefer an advance booking through pnline site or hotel to avoid being stranded (or ripped-off).

• Re: Will it be possible to get accommodation?

by rennug Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 9:17 PM

It is true that there is a shortage of quality accommodation in Myanmar right now and for the next couple of years until new hotels are ready. This situation is exacerbated by some hotel operators resorting to unethical practices to up-sell or raise their rates.

However, there are many decent accommodation options which do not have an internet presence - provided you do not need to travel in luxury! I would suggest you contact a local travel agency in Myanmar to assist you with this.

I've used Crossroads Travel (enquiries@visitmyanmar.info) before and they have been pretty good in arranging everything without trying to rip me off like some other agents. Myanmar is a unique travel experience like none other and you should not let this get in your way of a memorable trip.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Burma Travel Answer Locations