Burlington Travel Answers

change location

How to spend a day

by no1riggie Online Now Jan 28, 2005 at 11:14 AM

I recently won a 4 day trip to Burlington. I'll be there in June. One of the days, we'll be going to the Ben and Jerry's factory. (That was my prize.) Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do for another day. We'll have a hire car and we're not very keen on museum visits. Thanks in advance for any help you can give. Anne

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • leplaya's Profile Photo

Re: How to spend a day

by leplaya Online Now Jan 28, 2005 at 12:49 PM

There's always hiking, and Vermont is very beautiful. Check out this site: http://www.slackpacker.com/map_vt.html . Also, if you want to go to a large city, Montreal is only a couple of hours from Burlington.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • jwpotter's Profile Photo

by jwpotter Online Now Jan 28, 2005 at 12:52 PM

Hi, You will love your trip to Ben and Jerry's. It is a fun place to visit. Remember that the area of the United States you are going to is very historic and quaint - at least by U.S. standards, perhaps not by U.K. standards - LOL You are within easy driving ditance of mountains, the ocean, small towns, etc. We had a car and drove around for about a week and were never without many things to see and do. I will have to think about the best places we visited and talk to my wife. Between the two of us hopefully we will remember. LOL Jim

• soccergrrl's Profile Photo

Re: Re: How to spend a day

by soccergrrl Online Now Jan 28, 2005 at 2:20 PM

There are a ton of things to do in and around Burlington, so you won't be bored. Take the scenic route when you head down to Waterbury for the Ben & Jerry's tour -- just get a map and pick a road. In Burlington itself, you can check out the campus of the University of Vermont, spend some time along the lakefront (take a walk, or rent some bikes), and wander along the pedestrian mall on Church Street. There are tons of little cafes and very good restaurants in town -- for great beer and good food don't miss the Vermont Pub & Brewery. They were even pulling some real ale when I was there last summer. June should be beautiful. Also consider wandering countryside drives . . . destinations could include Camel's Hump or Mt. Mansfield for hiking, Stowe for an intersting town, or any of a number of quaint little towns with lovely churches, covered bridges, and unique shops. The state capital, Montpelier, is only 38 miles from Burlington and has been revived in recent years. If you rent your car at the airport, there is an info desk near the rental counters with all sorts of brochures, guides, and maps. Enjoy! (and congratulations!) (If you like, you can see some of the places I went last summer on my Vermont page -- we spent a long weekend there. The page isn't very complete yet, but I also went to college in Burlington, so feel free to email with any questions!)

• Re: How to spend a day

by yawndave Online Now Jan 28, 2005 at 5:57 PM

Even though you say you're not into museums, you might make an exception and check out the Shelburne Museum. It's just an amazing place. Their website is: www.shelburnemuseum.org.

by jwpotter Online Now Jan 28, 2005 at 10:10 PM

Is tjhe Shelbourn museum the same as the Rockafeller estate - or rather farm that is there?

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo

by nicolaitan Online Now Jan 30, 2005 at 10:51 AM

may i suggest a half day trip to the grand isles in the middle of lake champlain, a short trip north from burlington on US2. Off the beaten path to say the least, the isles feature beautiful views east and west across the lake, lovely scenery. There is believe it or not a winery on South Hero Island as well as llamas, and two pretty good restaurants on North Hero. Do take the unpaved and poorly paved roads west from US2 particularly on South Hero. On my extremely linited burlington page, an upscale restaurant in North Hero appears. Enjoy your trip,

• tonetone28's Profile Photo

by tonetone28 Online Now Feb 15, 2005 at 8:22 PM

If you're into gardening you can't come to this part of the world and not visit the Montreal Botanic Garden considered by most people the 2nd best garden in the world and its only 2 hours each wa;y, leave here at 8am, there at 10 see the garden and have dinner and back by 8pm also a trip on the ferry across the late to the ausable chasm could be fun ps don't get too excited about the Ben and Jerry factory tour, as at best it's only slightly interesting.

by jwpotter Online Now Feb 15, 2005 at 8:52 PM

That depends on how much you like Ice Cream....LOL

• vermonties's Profile Photo

by vermonties Online Now Feb 16, 2005 at 5:37 PM

Rockefeller Resort - It's called Billings Farm and Museum, is a working dairy farm in Woodstock, VT, about 2 hours south of Burlington. It's nice for shopping, but that's about it.

• toomsooba's Profile Photo

by toomsooba Online Now Feb 19, 2005 at 2:23 PM

I would recommend taking a drive down Route 100...it is a classic Vermont drive, with some cool towns along the way(Warren, Waitsfield, Rochester), several areas to hike along the way. You could end at Killington, cross over to Woodstock, make a day of it...that is if you are into driving, are you active, or are you looking for more tourist-oriented things to do?

• Re: How to spend a day

by haley8989 Online Now Apr 12, 2007 at 2:49 PM

teddy bear factory!!!
    and also...though u may not be big on meusams the SHELBURNE meusam is pretty sweet
    same with shelburne farms

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines