Burkina Faso Travel Answers

change location

mastercard?

by michaellouis Online Now Jun 14, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Could someone please tell me if Mastercard can be used in Burkina Faso? I have conflicting reports on this. thank you.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • sphynxxs's Profile Photo

Re: mastercard?

by sphynxxs Online Now Jun 15, 2011 at 12:33 AM

I havenĀ“t tried Mastercard there, but in general it is rather difficult to pay with Mastercard in most African countries. If hotels etc accept a credit card at all, they usually want Visa. There are a number of banks where you can use MC to withdraw cash from ATMs. As a general rule - once you are outside the big cities, you will need cash

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Jun 15, 2011 at 1:08 AM

Hi
    Depends on where you travel in the country: in most West African countries, only the largest towns will have banks and credit card facilities.
    Also as a general rule, Visa tends to have better coverage than either Mastercard or American Express in sub Saharan Africa.
    Personally I would bring it along and use if if the opportunity presents itself, but don't bank on it working (excuse the pun), so have a backup of cash to exchange (again, travellers cheques can be problematic as they are usually only accepted in the larger centres).
    Regards
    Cathy

• Re: mastercard?

by michaellouis Online Now Jun 15, 2011 at 2:35 AM

thank you for your reply. Actually, I just needed to know if in the larger cities one could get cash at an AtM USING mASTERCARd. I believe you have confirmed this for me.

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Jun 15, 2011 at 2:40 AM

Hi
    Glad to be of help.
    I'm not sure how used you are to travelling in Africa, but usually the problem is really twofold:
    1. Even if there is a machine that takes Mastercard, will it actually be working when you get there?
    2. What happens if the machine is apparently working, but then 'eats' your card, leaving you with no means to access money or settle accounts?
    That's why having Plan B in terms of cash is unfortunately non-negotiable (but, I agree, not ideal).
    Regards
    Cathy

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Jun 15, 2011 at 4:36 AM

It does not look like it.

Check the Mastercard Global ATM Locator and Burkina Faso is not listed.

mastercard.com/us/business/e...

• sphynxxs's Profile Photo

by sphynxxs Online Now Jun 15, 2011 at 7:09 AM

excellent reminder, cathy! I once had my card eaten at an atm in Dakar, fortunately with a few days left to settle the problem - VERY bad situation when your return flight is coming up a few hours later. And it even happened once at the usually very reliable Braclys ATM here in Kenya

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Burkina Faso Travel Answer Locations