Burgos Travel Answers

change location
Oleg_D.'s Profile Photo

Policy on non commercial photo

by Oleg_D. Online Now Mar 25, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Dear Members,

First of all, thank you for your reviews on the Burgos Cathedral, Monasteries and Museums. Good job!

Unfortunately, nobody said a single word about the policies on photography in those places of interests. I’m very interested to know are the visitors allowed to take noncommercial photos without flash light and tripod in the Cathedral, Monastery of Las Huelgas, Cartuja De Miraflores, and Museum of Altarpieces in the Saint Esteban Church and so on.

Unfortunately many official internet sites don’t provide that information.

Thank you in advance for your help and cooperation.

Sincerely,
Oleg

Quote & Answer
19 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Policy on non commercial photo

by leics Online Now Mar 25, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Although I have not visited the specific places you mention I have found that, wherever I've been in Europe, photography policies are always made very clear on entrance. Usually with a sign, often with text too (especially in visitor-popular locations). Many places do not allow flash photography (or tripods); some do not allow any photography at all.

So even if no-one here can provide you with the specific information you require for each place in your list there is no real problem. Just go to the place with your camera, check for signs and either take photos or not. :-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 25, 2012 at 1:51 AM

because all those places are place specific rules, the general rule is no flash as stated before. As far as tripod and non commercial photos, the best answer should come from the places themselves, which the official internet sites should tell you a contact for them.

Hope it helps your planning.

• Redang's Profile Photo

by Redang Online Now Mar 25, 2012 at 1:53 AM

No general rule, it all depends on the place.

For Las Huelgas, I can tell you that it's forbidden (January '12), when I went.
    For the Cathedral of Burgos, no problem (January '12, when I went.

For the rest, I dare say that maybe it's forbidden Miraflores, but it's just a thought; you'd better contact them in advance.

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 25, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Hi,
    Yes as Santi says, at Las Huelgas it is forbidden even in the outside cloister. Photos are allowed in the courtyard where you buy the tickets, up until you pass the gate where they check the tickets.
    I took photos inside Miraflores and didn't see a sign telling me I couldn't. I used a flash but no tripod.

• Redang's Profile Photo

by Redang Online Now Mar 25, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Regarding Miraflores, I just was guessing since I didn't visit it so, your opinion is the best info.

• Oleg_D.'s Profile Photo

by Oleg_D. Online Now Mar 25, 2012 at 7:04 AM

Dear Members,

Thanks for your prompt answers. Pity but…..probably I will expunge Las Huelgas from my travel list and spend more time in the Cathedral and its museum, Cartuja De Miraflores and Church of San Esteban.

Sincerely,

Oleg

• Redang's Profile Photo

by Redang Online Now Mar 25, 2012 at 7:08 AM

So, are you just intereted in taking pics?

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 25, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Seems like it...not being allowed to take photos is not a valid reason to cross somewhere off one's list, imo.

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Mar 25, 2012 at 7:56 AM

It's been a while since I've been to Burgos, but as people have already said, the answer is that it varies from place to place and different rules apply everywhere. Generally (but not always) things are well posted. The restrictions can go from anything from "everything goes" to no photography / videography of any kind. Even when photography is allowed, sometimes you have to buy a "permit" to take pictures and flash (especially in areas where there are paintings or fabrics that could be damaged by intense light) and tripods (trippinig hazard) are the most common restrictions.

In my experience the rules do change over time, so places that did permit photography may have banned it; this can be the case at popular venues because they don't want photographers slowing down the flow.

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 25, 2012 at 8:17 AM

-->> Santi and J, I agree,especially Las Huelgas, it is really beautiful inside.

by Oleg_D. Online Now Mar 25, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Well,

My primary interest is to find the statues, icons with the military Saints as Saints George, Florian, Maurice, Victor, and the tombstones of aristocracy, otherwise the images of guys with arms and in armor made before 1600. I was interested to research that subject since the age of five or for almost last forty three years. And I need good and high resolution pictures for my researches. Very often I find there, in my pictures, a lot of very interesting and unusual things.

Since I supposed to arrive to Burgos on my own feet from France during my pilgrimage to Santiago De Campostela, I guess I would be tired carrying all my baggage and my pretty heavy DSLR camera with at least two lenses. That’s why I don’t want to waste my time at Las Huelgas. I will spend it better doing the pictures in the Cathedral, Cartuja De Miraflores and San Esteban Church. I know almost all main targets for my camera in those places.

I have no any intention to molest the nuns or do something wrong in Las Huelga. But anyway they don’t allow taking pictures of the Royal tombstones in their monastery. We say in my country “It is no good manner to enter at somebody else’s monastery with your own statute”. I’m neither going to change their rules nor feel the deepest disappointment. So, I have no reason to spend my time there. I’ll come again when rules will be changed if I will be still alive of course.

So, if you have any information about the places where I can find any kind of images of armed medieval guys in the armor let me know about, if you please.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
    Oleg

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 25, 2012 at 10:28 AM

"take noncommercial photos without flash light and tripod"

Indeed if all the interest is above stated by OP.....

by Oleg_D. Online Now Mar 25, 2012 at 10:33 AM

gwened
    Sorry, but you misunderstood. I’m not going to take my pictures with the flash light and tripod. Please read thoroughly and you will find that I’m going to take my pictures without these devices.

Cheers,
    Oleg

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 25, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Oleg

i just copy your comments remember them?

I’m very interested to know are the visitors allowed to take noncommercial photos without flash light and tripod in the Cathedral, Monastery of Las Huelgas, Cartuja De Miraflores, and Museum of Altarpieces in the Saint Esteban Church and so on.

by Oleg_D. Online Now Mar 25, 2012 at 11:40 AM

gwened
    Aye, aye, I remember that I have written.

There is certain difference between “take noncommercial photos without flash light and tripod” and “I’m very interested to know are the visitors allowed to take noncommercial photos without flash light and tripod in the Cathedral, Monastery of Las Huelgas, Cartuja De Miraflores, and Museum of Altarpieces in the Saint Esteban Church and so on”.

Now you put things all right and unequivocally, thanks.

I still cannot decode, what OP means?

Cheers,
    Oleg

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 25, 2012 at 12:31 PM

original poster OP is this thread, you
    cheers

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 25, 2012 at 12:31 PM

It means either 'original post' (that is, the question) or 'original poster' (that is the person who posted the question...you!). :-)

• Redang's Profile Photo

by Redang Online Now Mar 25, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I recommend to contact them, maybe you get a permission if you tell the purpose, but I really don't know, just try

by Oleg_D. Online Now Mar 26, 2012 at 10:56 AM

gwened and leics,

I Roger OP, thanks. My militarized brain connected OP to Oscar Papa call sign of Operational Officer.

Redang,

I think you are right and I will contact them. According to my previous experience this is “The Forlorn Hope” but who knows maybe they like retired Field Officers?

Sincerely,
    Oleg

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines