Bukittinggi

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• North Sumatra

North Sumatra Province Jul 13, 2015 at 2:46 PM

I am planning a trip with my 16 yr old son, and have been invited to teach English in North Sumatra. I am wondering if you would advise this trip, as to safety? Pleaseee help me with any advice you have!

Kindly,
      Colleen

more
    • Transport around North Sumatra?

North Sumatra Province Jul 27, 2015 at 1:55 PM

Hi, we're planning on visiting Ketambe for a 4 day jungle trek, and from there go to Pulau Banyak Islands- what is the best way/method to get to Singkil to get the ferry please? And time for this trip?

After few days on the island we would then like to go to lake toba for a couple of days then on to Barastagi before going back to Medan - is this the best route to do? Time required from Singtel to lake toba? And cost?

Thanks

more
    • Bali with kids at christmas

Bali Jul 18, 2015 at 4:36 PM

Hi, just after advice on where is a good place to go for 2 weeks at Christmas wih a 2.5 year old. We know the weather will be wet? But how wet and should that put us off? Was thinking Ubud but hen heard Lombok is also good with kids.

For those that have traveled with toddlers, how did you get around, did you worry about car Sears? What are good locations?

Is there anywhere that is off the tourist path that might be quieter?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
      Meals

more
    • jeannetteb1's Profile Photo

Visas, payments and money exchange

Bali Yesterday

Hi hoping for some up to date advice...

1) Am I correct that since June 2015 the visa-free policy is granted to foreign nationals of 30 additional countries and this now includes the UK so we will not now need to pay the US 35 dollar entry visa fee?

2) Is there a charge for departing the country as I have also read that the departure tax should be included in flight price. I'm getting confused reading advice to other people, on different forums on other sites. Any up to date advice would be great.

3) I know it is best to change to IDR there so would you take GBP travellers cheques or cash?

Thanks JB

more
    • Two weeks in Bali 11 - 25 July, single traveller.

Bali Jul 5, 2015 at 7:03 PM

Hello all - I hope you can help me.

I've recently retired (with my wife still working) and she's given me the OK to head off to Bali and take advantage of a bargain airfare (only just booked today) and to escape the chill of the Melbourne winter (were both heading the Thailand and UK in September so she's not missing out).

I would love it if someone could give some ideas on where to go, how to get there and where stay over the two week period. I'm quite happy to stay in a quite few places, or use just a couple as a base to explore.

We've been to Bali a couple of times for "vegging out" type holidays and stayed in Tanjung Benoa & Sanur - so you'll gather that we're not really into the party / bar scene of Kuta and similar places.

I'm treating this as a bit of an adventure to do things fairly simply and relatively cheaply (i.e. I'm not bothered about 4 star hotels) and am quite happy to try out homestays / Airbnb type accommodation. The only real criteria being quiet, clean & comfortable with food provided or nearby.

I arrive fairly late on Saturday evening so though I might spend a couple of nights in Sanure as it is fairly close to the airport and I know the area.

Thanks for any help - although I accept it is on short notice.

more
    • MariaP65's Profile Photo

day trip to Gili's or.....

Lombok Jul 23, 2015 at 11:06 AM

wondering if day trips are enough to experience the Gili islands or should be spend a few nights and on what island? Gili T?
      the plan is the spend 3 nights Bali, 6 nights Lombok, 3 nights Gili T.... and can we leave from Gili T to DPS in one trip? flight leaves at 4pm international ... or should we get an airport hotel for the night before??
      Thanks alot
      M

more
    • Expected souvenirs

Indonesia Jul 20, 2015 at 1:14 AM

Hi, just wanna know what souvenirs do you happy to received from a friend from Indonesia? look forward to your replies. Cheers :)

more
    • we still confuse which is comfortable , Hire a Private Driver or Take a taxi meter ?

Bali Jul 10, 2015 at 3:09 AM

We planed to visit Bali on Next Setember 15 with all of our family 6 persons. We will stay in Seminyak Umalas Hotel . But now we still think twice about transpotations in Bali. As we have read alot of forums and Blog that said driving a scooter is not recommended even is cheaper some time got trouble with the cops. We have read recommended blog for a driver in Bali seminyakbalidriver.wordpress... it seem convinience for a day tour with private driver . But how about if we get to go short distance ? Do the taxi meter, that we read about bluebird taxi meter is cheaper way ? Or we keep charter the driver for whole time our stay in Seminyak ? Any suggestion please ?

more
    • Travel advice

Bali Jul 10, 2015 at 5:42 AM

With the volcanic ashes spewing do you think we should still stick to our plan of visiting Bali for week from 27th July to 2nd of august? Or we should postpone. Please advice. Thanks

more
    • Mona Lisa Restaurant

by NicoR9 Online Now Mar 27, 2015 at 2:37 PM

I m looking for the adress of this restaurant , we where there...22 years ago...and I would like to know if the owner still there.
      We had great time with him and his friends
      We offered hom a little statue , and said to him, we will be back to see him again...so I have to do it.
      Cheers
      Nicolas

3 Answers Mar 27, 2015 at 7:47 PM
    • TheCapt's Profile Photo

Taxi Cost from Padang Airport to Bukitinggi

by TheCapt Online Now Sep 4, 2014 at 7:45 AM

How much does it cost to take a taxi from Padang Airport to Bukitinggi?

5 Answers Sep 6, 2014 at 6:33 PM
    • Bukittinggi

by manja62 Online Now Sep 13, 2007 at 12:26 AM

Hi, thank you for the info on the hotels. Read that an earth quake had happened in Padang yesterday also affecting bukittinggi. Have made plans for my trip to bukittinggi in Dec but now I am not so sure if I should proceed with my visit or cancel it. Is it still safe to go? Hope anyone in padang or bukittinggi could give some opinion. I am looking forward to this trip.
      Thank you.

4 Answers Sep 20, 2007 at 1:24 AM
    • Hotels in Bukittinggi

by manja62 Online Now Aug 28, 2007 at 12:42 AM

Hi,

I'll be in Bukittinggi this Dec. Between Dymens Hotel, Nikita Hotel and Ambun Suri..which is the better one? Nearest to the clock tower? Can anyone give me their rates?

Thank you.

3 Answers Nov 5, 2007 at 8:00 AM
    • Guide on Transportation to Bkt. Tinggi & Shopping

by hazirf Online Now Jul 6, 2007 at 9:58 PM

How much will it cost to take taksi from the airport to Bkt. Tinggi. I had terrible experience with taksi in Indonesia. They tend to charge ridiculous price if they know you are not local.

I am looking for the embroidery material/fabric in bulk. Where can i buy the material in Bkt. Tinggi with wholesale price? Where is the factory producing those nice embroidery fabric.

Thank you very much!

1 Answer Jul 7, 2007 at 1:34 AM
    • need some advice

by bariq Online Now Jan 9, 2007 at 1:09 AM

Hi all,

Me and my girl friend are planning to go bukittinggi on 6 day vacation in feb. I have narrowed down the places of interest we plan to go as given below. Based on your experience hope you can answer my questions.

1) Is it easy to get cab from airport in padang to bukit tinggi? Are there any alternate transport options available apart from taxis, if so pls guide.
      2) Whats the economical way of traveling in and around bukittinggi ?
      3) Is it good option to hire a tour guide from hotel or better to goto the tour agents ?
      4) Any idea if motorbikes are on hire in BT ?
      5) Here is the list of places of interest I have planned, do advice if I miss out anything good. Will appreciate if you can share your itinerary, coz iam not sure what to visit in a day or say which place is near which place

a) Payakumbuh & Harau valley
      b) Gunung Merapi
      c) Lake maninjau
      d) Ngarai sianok canyons
      e) Pagaruyung palace + padang lavas
      f) singkarak lake + rice fields

Thanks in advance
      Bariq

5 Answers Jan 10, 2007 at 6:10 PM
    • mount merapi

by stef03 Online Now Dec 13, 2006 at 8:33 AM

I read I need a guide to go to Mount Merapi. i would like to know the price to have a guide ?
      Thanks

2 Answers Jan 14, 2007 at 5:39 PM
    • saa73's Profile Photo

Trip to Bukittinggi in December

by saa73 Online Now Nov 6, 2006 at 5:33 AM

My wife and I will be visiting Bukittinggi next month (Dec 18-21) and would be grateful for advice on the following:

i) Transport - is it at all possible/advisable to hire a self-drive car?
      ii) Taxi - Minangkabau airport to Bukittingi - what's the typical one-way cost? How long does it take from the airport to Bukittinggi?
      iii) Accommodation - the internet searches only comes up with Hotel Pusako or Novotel - this is OK for our budget. However, are there any unique/quaint guest houses that are clean and affordable? Perhaps something like an old colonial house, eg like in Camerons Highlands in Malaysia?

Lastly - where can I sample the most awesome Minangkabau food in Bukittinggi/Padang. This is the main reason for coming over to the Minang highlands...and I must warn you, I am of Minangkabau descent and the best food is cooked by mother...so it has to be damn good!! (I love balado....where can I get the best??)

2 Answers Dec 9, 2006 at 5:14 AM
    • Good local guide

by AndyDem Online Now Oct 15, 2004 at 1:13 AM

We will be coming to Bukittinggi in January next year and will only have five days there (unfortunately!) Can anyone recommend an experienced local guide who can (1) take us on a tour of local sights and industries and (2) take us up Merapi? We don't speak very good Bahasa so some English would be helpful. And does anyone know if Merapi is safe to climb at the moment? Thanks for any suggestions/ advice.

3 Answers Oct 18, 2004 at 5:16 PM