Bukit Mertajam Travel Answers

change location

Arriving in Bukit Mertajam at 5AM & getting to Penang?

by tallboyoz Online Now Jun 26, 2010 at 11:42 PM

My wife and daughter will be arriving IN Bukit Mertajam on the overnight train from KL at about 5AM.

What is the best way to get to Penang?

They have a hotel booking at Batu Ferringhi.

Are there taxis and / or buses available to meet the train at that hour? If so, is it best to take a taxi / bus direct to Penang, or travel via the Butterworth ferry terminal? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • din2x's Profile Photo

Re: Arriving in Bukit Mertajam at 5AM & getting to Penang?

by din2x Online Now Jun 27, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Why Bukit Mertajam? you should take the train to Butterworth instead. From butterworth, you will only have to walk to the ferry terminal for a ferry to Georgetown. Ferry start at 6.00AM from Butterworth. From Georgetown ferry terminal you can just walk to get taxi/bus to Batu Ferringhi.

So, from Bukit Mertajam, take a taxi or another train to Butterworth.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • chinchin's Profile Photo

Re: Arriving in Bukit Mertajam at 5AM & getting to Penang?

by chinchin Online Now Jun 30, 2010 at 9:13 PM

I think you have taken the train that goes to Hatyai( it does not go to Butterworth)
    1. Light luggage
    Cheap - Bus to Butterworth, take the ferry ( RM 1.40 I think), take RAPID bus number 101 or 102 to Batu Ferringhi. ( 3 or 4 RM only)

2. Heavy luggage
    Expensive _ Taxi to Batu Ferringhi. It may cost you RM 60-80 .( Probably more) Penang taxi does not go by meters. Negotiate the price first. Take after 6.30 am. ( No surcharge of 50 % )

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines