Buenos Aires Travel Answers

change location
850prc's Profile Photo

Airport and hotel questions

by 850prc Online Now Oct 21, 2010 at 4:16 PM

We are planning an Antarctic cruise trip in March 2011, leaving from Ushuaia. Needless to say, we will transit Buenos Aires. I have a couple of questions, hopefully an experienced visitor can help.

First, if we arrive at the main international airport, and then depart from Jorge Newberry (and vice versa coming back), what is the best way to transit from one airport to the other? How long does it take?

Second, does anyone have any recommendations for good, clean, moderate hotel(s) in or around either airport?

Third, one connection possibility has us coming from Miami to BA on Aerolinas Argentina. We'd arrive at 2100 or so one evening (at the international airport) and would depart Newberry the next day at about 0900. Any comments about timing or other issues?

Thanks so much,
Pete Chamlis, Tallahassee, Florida

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • TexasDave's Profile Photo

Re: Airport and hotel questions

by TexasDave Online Now Oct 21, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Your best bet to get from one airport to the other is either by taxi or minibus from Tiendas Leon. You can make arrangements right there at EZE. Depending on traffic it will take around an hour, probable less.
    There is a much better selection of hotels in the city itself- EZE is quite a bit outside the city proper and there aren't very many hotels in the vicinity.
    Newberry, on the other hand, is very close to downtown, Recoleta, Puerto Madero, etc.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cochinjew's Profile Photo

by cochinjew Online Now Oct 21, 2010 at 8:12 PM

very succinct and useful answer above. No one stays anywhere near the International Airport. Manuel Tienda Leon is a bus company which can take you to centre of town or to a hotel. you can also have a prepaid taxi (remis) from the airport. you would have just enough time to get to town and sleep a little and get back to Newberry after a nice breakfast. Miami to BA on Aerolineas is a direct flights are under 9 hours and fortunately you dont get jet lagged...
    so you might be able to enjoy a nice dinner as well, as BA is a late dining spot..

• crazyman2's Profile Photo

by crazyman2 Online Now Oct 21, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Pete, I can't help you except to suggest two things in Ushuaia:

do visit the cafe that sells superb chocolate ---near the quay-end of the main street
    and
    do go on a catamaran tour of the Beagle Channel ---even if you're already doing this as part of the cruise! The boat can get you right beside the rocks with the wildlife on!

Which ship are you going on?

• Re: Airport and hotel questions

by mikesonu Online Now Oct 21, 2010 at 11:45 PM

hey
    1 you can take a taxi or mini bus and it will take an hour maximum
    2 yes there are cheap and good hotels near by airport that you can book from a site

http://www.bookhotelrooms.com/
    they will book hotel according to your need
    Happy journey

• 850prc's Profile Photo

by 850prc Online Now Oct 22, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Thanks Dave. I personally think that a hotel nearer to the Airpark over at Newberry would be what we want, so that's good.

Pete

by Eleonorita Online Now Oct 24, 2010 at 5:55 AM

Try to avoid flying Aerolineas Argentinas from Miami. Fly Lan or A. Airlines.

by Eleonorita Online Now Oct 24, 2010 at 5:58 AM

Sorry, I forgot to mention the reason I'd avoid flying with them. Very old aircrafts for long haul, unfrindly crew, bad service, delays, confirmation call to be made before flight... chek ailine reviews on the net for more info.

by sdcatraveler Online Now Oct 24, 2010 at 10:37 PM

I got a single room (double bed) at the Hostel International near the Oblisco (downtown) and the one in Palermo and it was inexpensive ($50 a night or so). Both were very clean. The one in Palermo had its own bathroom, the one in Oblisco had a general bathroom in the hallway (for one person only at a time). Considering that you'll just have a few hours to sleep and then go, that may be a worthy option. The hostel even helped me to make arrangements for a very early cab ride (I think we had a 6am flight or something to Ushuaia). I think Palermo or Recoleta are good places to stay if you want to have a short ride to Jorge Newberry in the morning. I scheduled a remis when I got to the airport and recall it being about 70 pesos (a few years ago) and took 45 min. to 1 hour to get from EZE into town.

If you are willing to pay a bit more, there is a Sheraton in Puerto Madero and a Marriott in downtown near Florida Street (touristy walking area).

• sheherezad's Profile Photo

by sheherezad Online Now Nov 1, 2010 at 5:48 AM

I had recently posted the same question - after finding no airport hotels at EZE, upon googling for one..

I ended up staying my 2 nights at the Howard Johnson Plaza on Florida Street - I would highly recommend it! Very nice and spacious and nice front desk and concierge staff!

The walk to the hotel door (on a pedestrian mall) from the nearest street was a breeze! Good luck! BTW the 'remise' taxi coupon I purchased at the 'remise' counter (close to the currency exchange counter) cost 126 Arg Pesos

• sheherezad's Profile Photo

by sheherezad Online Now Nov 1, 2010 at 6:26 AM

Do also read the replies to: Airport accomodations, Posted: Tue September 28, 2010 11:30 PM MYT - one of them recommended a B&B recommended by Lonely Planet, which is 5 min from the airport - much closer than the Howard Johnson, which takes about 40 minutes to get to! Good luck!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Buenos Aires