Budapest Travel Answers

change location

cost of one-way train with bed from Budapest to Kiev or Lvov?

by wbu Online Now Apr 30, 2009 at 5:31 PM

My wife and I will be visiting Budapest in late July/beginning of August. From Budapest we will be traveling to Ukraine to visit our daughter who is in the Peace Corps. We are trying to find information about the costs of one way travel by train from Budapest to Lvov or Kiev so that we can choose between train and airplane (air appears about 250 Euro). Can you help us? The Hungarian train site has only limited information in English. I have the schedule for the direct train. Since it is overnight we would want beds. We are not sure whether 2nd class or 1st class is more appropriate.

Thanks,

Bill Upholt

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • mvtouring's Profile Photo

Re: cost of one-way train with bed from Budapest to Kiev or Lvov?

by mvtouring Online Now May 1, 2009 at 2:50 AM

Hi Steven,
    I check for you on Deutsche Bahn, but they unfortunately also could not give any prices. However what I did discover is that from Budapest to Kiev the train takes anything from 24 - 36 hours depending on which one you catch. From Budapest to Lvov takes 14 hours and both have bed availability. I think flying would be better.
    Mariana

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kopvas's Profile Photo

by kopvas Online Now May 1, 2009 at 2:53 AM

Cost to Kiev one way is app. 70 euro one way, Lviv app. 45-50 euro + sleeping car reservation (app. 15-20 euro). If you buy return it would be cheaper - 120/87 + sleeping car reservation(*2)

Don't buy first class, since on this route second class sold 2/2 if you buy tickets for BP-Kiev car wagon (not BP-Moscow till Kiev). So this means, that you and you wife will be anyway alone in compartment ;)

P.S. you travel from BP to Kiev much cheaper app. 30-35 euro/per person if you will make a change in Zahony and Chop - by this trick you don't pay international tariff and use cheap domestic Ukrainian tariff mainly

• kopvas's Profile Photo

by kopvas Online Now May 1, 2009 at 3:09 AM

P.S. If you really want to fly, but do it as cheap as possible - you actually can use low cost airlines...
    Specifically for BP it looks OK BP-Dortmund by Easyjet + Dortmund-Kiev by Wizzair (connection works 4 days per week)
    Total price BP-Dortmund-Kiev one way can be as low as 40-50 euro
    BP-Cologne-Kiev or BP-London-Kiev looks less convenient for me...

• Re: cost of one-way train with bed from Budapest to Kiev or Lvov?

by wbu Online Now May 1, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.. Just got this direct from MAV (Hungarian Rail0

Thank you for your enquiry!

The one-way ticket from Budapest to Kiev costs 37,60 EUR/2nd class/person, 56,40 EUR/1st class/person.

Extra prices:

4 bed sleeper: 19 EUR/person/way,

3 bed sleeper: 23 EUR/person/way,

2 bed sleeper: 38 EUR/person/way (with 1st class),

1 bed sleeper: 76 EUR/person/way (with 1st class).

From Budapest to Lvov the one-way ticket costs 25,60 EUR/2nd class/person, 38,40 EUR/1st class/person.

Extra prices:

4 bed sleeper: 15 EUR/person/way,

3 bed sleeper: 18 EUR/person/way,

2 bed sleeper: 30 EUR/person/way (with 1st class),

1 bed sleeper: 60 EUR/person/way (with 1st class).

Our currency is 1 EUR = 298 HUF.

Have a nice trip!

Best regards,

Noemi Kacsmarik

administrator

Railway Passenger Transport Co.

MÁVDIREKT

phone (from abroad): +36 (1) 371 94 49

phone (from inland) : 06 (40) 49 49 49

e-mail (information): informacio@mav-start.hu

e-mail (suggestions, complaints): eszrevetel@mav-start.hu
    timetable and homepage: http://www.mav-start.hu/

on-line ticket: jegyvasarlas.mav-start.hu

• kopvas's Profile Photo

by kopvas Online Now May 1, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Wow... quite strange. I'm 100% sure that this are incorrect prices for the ticket, while sleeper reservation looks OK

For the very simply check - look at BP-Kiev here (elvira.mav-start.hu/elvira.d... - it gives r/t price, even last year made map of tariffs gives 95 euro for r/t (mav-start.hu/utazas/nemzetko...

The biggest interest for me, where and how the person who answered your question got those prices ???

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Budapest