Budapest Travel Answers

change location

I'm looking for a good train route from Budapest to Venice with a one-night stop-over

by DonKol Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Hey Folks,

I'm traveling to Europe for the first time next month! My wife and I don't have a lot of time left to prepare for the trip, so I need some advice from those in the know. Our first destination is Vienna, then on to Budapest. After our stay in Budapest, we are making our way to Venice. We'd like to do this leg in two days with a night stay-over along the way. However, I'm having no luck finding a good train route, and I'm not sure of any great towns or cities in which we can spend the night. We'd prefer not to go through Vienna again from Budapest, since we'll be heading back there to fly out. If possible, we'd like to take the most scenic route (obviously). Since it will really be two train rides, which of the two is the more scenic? Perhaps we can bump up to first class on that leg.

So, please help us find our way! Additionally, we could also use suggestions on the best route from Venice to Vienna. We'd most likely do that leg in one day.

Any advice about our travels would be quite welcome,
-Don

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Re: I'm looking for a good train route from Budapest to Venice with a one-night stop-over

by K_V_B Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Good train routes from Budapest to Venezia pass through Wien... There is no other way than backtracking again through Austria. Starting in Budapest would thus be better.
    If you can't change the order of your visits include a stopover in Salzburg or Innsbruck. Be aware that train service from Austria to Italy is a bit complicated at the moment, as Trenitalia wants to turn Italy in to an Island. So many of the trains are actually buses, but you can see the difference in the timetable.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • katalin's Profile Photo

Re: I'm looking for a good train route from Budapest to Venice with a one-night stop-over

by katalin Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Hi Don,
    this is the Hungarian Railway Co. website:
    www.elvira.hu
    You should look it.

• Re: I'm looking for a good train route from Budapest to Venice with a one-night stop-over

by rbciii2002 Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 11:20 AM

i really enjoyed zagreb. we were traveling from venice to budapest last summer and stoped there for lunch. it was really nice city we thought. and the views driving through sloveinia were great. not sure if this will help since you are taking trains but thought i would throw my two cents it. have a good trip !

• leics's Profile Photo

Re: I'm looking for a good train route from Budapest to Venice with a one-night stop-over

by leics Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 11:39 AM

You can find train times and details in English for almost all European trains on the excellent

bahn.com/i/view/overseas/en/...

It only gives fares for/from Germany but using the other data will help with your route planning.

Slovenia is a beautiful little country and well worth visiting. However, trains from e.g. Ljubljana (a tiny jewel of a capital city well worth a day or so to itself, more if you fancy an easy daytrip to Lake Bled and/or the Postonja or Skocjan caves etc) to Italy are not easy. It's probably better to take the bus to Trieste:

autostazionetrieste.it/index...

and a train to Venice from there. Italian train times, details and fares in English:

trenitalia.com/homepage_en.h...

by DonKol Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Thanks so much for the advice so far! Very helpful.

by nob-in Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Would suggest to take the afternoon train from Budapest to Ljubljana (actually it's a through coach attached to Budapest-Zagreb train), ticket is only 39 euro, then spend the night in Ljubljana, while in the morning: a) travel by train to Nova Gorica via Jesenice (Bohinj railway offers marvelous scenery) and then train to Venice from Italian side of the town or b) from Ljubljana to Sezana by train, then bus to Trieste or Opicina (if you a fan of trams) and train from Trieste to Venice

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Budapest