Bryce Canyon National Park Travel Answers

change location

Bryce to Monument Valley

by mrtetley Online Now Jul 30, 2011 at 8:55 PM

I will be leaving Bryce with a room booked in Monument Valley at the end of the day. How would you recommend I drive from Bryce to Monument Valley and what should I see along the way? I only have the day, and would obviously love for my drive to be a nice one. It doesn't have to be the quickest route as long as I like what I see. Thanks!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Bryce to Monument Valley

by goodfish Online Now Jul 31, 2011 at 6:37 AM

Sure, you can do it in a day:

From Bryce, head south on 89 through Mt. Carmel Junction to Kanab.

At Kanab, head east on 89 through Vermillion Cliffs and Grand Staircase/Escalante NAtional Monument to Page and the Glen Canyon area.

At Page head south on 98 through Kaibito to the junction of 160. Head northeast on 160 to Kayenta. and then a short distance north on 163 to Monument Valley.

On my map, this ENTIRE route is marked as scenic!!!

I'd just pack a picnic and meander your way along, stopping at anywhere that grabs you for photo-ops but do keep any eye on the clock! :)
    I'd start very early in the morning so you can make more versus fewer stops.
    Here are some ideas for some scenic side roads off 89 in the Grand Staircase/Escalante area:

americansouthwest.net/utah/g...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Segolily's Profile Photo

Re: Bryce to Monument Valley

by Segolily Online Now Aug 1, 2011 at 6:19 PM

The slightly longer version of the route that goodfish gave you is to keep heading south from Kanab past Fredonia to Jacob Lake. Be sure to stop at the Lefevre rest stop for a view of the Grand Staircase. Jacob Lake is a good place for lunch. Head east on 89A to the Marble Canyon area--another good place for lunch. You will be skirting the Vermillion cliffs and it is a lonely road.

Near Marble Canyon is Lee's Ferry, where Grand Canyon river trips begin. You can see the old Ferry buildings and Lonely Dell Ranch. Also stop at the Navajo Bridges and walk across.

Then north to near Page on 89. If you want to drive on up to take a look at Glen canyon dam and Lake Powell, or take the short hike to Horseshoe Bend Overlook you could do that. Then east on 98. It is also scenic. If you can do both versions of route 89 (coming and going ) it is good.

• Re: Bryce to Monument Valley

by mrtetley Online Now Aug 2, 2011 at 8:57 PM

thanks so much -- this is all so helpful. much appreciated!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines