Bryce Canyon National Park Travel Answers

change location

Afternoon/Evening and Morning in Bryce

by oaw_photo Online Now Feb 6, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Hi,

My wife and I visiting the area from Australia in June on a photography trip and are visiting Bryce Canyon from Vegas and then on to the Grand Canyon North Rim.

We will have an afternoon and an evening on the day we get there and then a morning the next day. Our aim is to capture the landscape variety as much as possible in the time we have (including night photography). I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out in deciding which are the must see spots for Sunset / Sunrise and Night and which loop trail would be best?

Thanks in advance for your help
Cheers
Aaron

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • vtveen's Profile Photo

Re: Afternoon/Evening and Morning in Bryce

by vtveen Online Now Feb 6, 2010 at 12:28 AM

I think (especillay for photographing) the best loop trail is a combination of Queens Garden Trail and Navajo Loop.
    They start/end at the Sunset and Sunrise viewpoints, which are at least must see spots for sunset and sunrise.
    See for more info about the trail: members.virtualtourist.com/v...

happy travels
    Jaap

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Afternoon/Evening and Morning in Bryce

by goodfish Online Now Feb 6, 2010 at 5:04 AM

Here's a website from another shutterbug you may find helpful:

luminous-landscape.com/locat...

Have fun - wish you had time to fit in Zion as it's only about 1 and 1/2 hours away from Bryce and also stunning!

• Re: Afternoon/Evening and Morning in Bryce

by Saguaro17 Online Now Feb 6, 2010 at 12:09 PM

There are aptly named Sunrise and Sunset Points. However, Sunset Point may still be better at sunrise than Sunrise Point. It certainly is better for sunset. I do prefer Bryce Point for sunrise as you will oversee the entire amphitheatre from there. You will not have the opportunity for close up views of strutures like Thors Hammer etc from there. If this is what you are looking for, Sunset Point will be the better choice. You will compete with lots of other photographers there, whereas you might have Bryce Point for yourself.

What is the best loop? I like to hike down from Bryce Point on Peek-A-Boo Loop and then go up on Queens Gardens or Navajo Trails. In season, there is a shuttle between these viewpoints. You wont see a lot of people on the first half of this trail, but it will be quite busy going up again.

Fairyland Trail may be another option - way off the crowds, but I haven't done it myself, so I cannot really comment. It is said to have less hoodoos but more green.

I have no idea about night photography, but Bryce should lend itself to this in a clear night.

Saguaro17

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines