Bryce Canyon National Park Travel Answers

change location

Bryce Canyon or Monument Valley National Monument

by JanetLC Online Now Mar 11, 2009 at 2:16 PM

If you only had time to see one which would you see?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Basaic's Profile Photo

Re: Bryce Canyon or Monument Valley National Monument

by Basaic Online Now Mar 11, 2009 at 3:02 PM

To be honest, I am not sure I can say because I haven't seen Bryce. I do know that Monument Valley is spectacularly beautiful.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Mar 11, 2009 at 3:40 PM

They are so very different that it is nearly impossible to say. But I am rather sure I would choose Monument Valley. It has all of this feeling of vastness, Wild West romance and nostalgia, loneliness, native American, heroes on horseback, the intense red so typical for the South-West, the power of nature. Bryce has more of the fairy-tale romance, smaller, cuter, sweet colours, more loveliness than loneliness - but very unique.

• kathymof's Profile Photo

by kathymof Online Now Mar 11, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Been to both - one of the things that makes them so different is that you look down into the canyons at Bryce and look up at the formations in Monument Valley. I loved hiking in Bryce but really cannot say which is best. The vistas in Monument Valley are out of this world - everything looks like a painting. I would probably choose Monument Valley over Bryce as well.

• acprincess's Profile Photo

by acprincess Online Now Mar 11, 2009 at 11:58 PM

If you want to go hiking, go to Bryce. If you're a western movie (especially john Wayne) fan, go to Monument valley.

• Re: Bryce Canyon or Monument Valley National Monument

by osoeno Online Now Mar 12, 2009 at 5:51 AM

I would vote for Monument Valley. I like aprincess' answer.

• Sevsa's Profile Photo

by Sevsa Online Now Mar 12, 2009 at 8:56 AM

I totally agree with ACprincess, if you want to hike go to Bryce if you want to just look go to Monument Valley.

• PR-7's Profile Photo

Some more thoughts

by PR-7 Online Now Mar 12, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Hiking in Monument Valley is ABSOLUTELY forbidden. Your only choices for access are (1) driving on a dirt road for a few hours and (2) a guided native tour, lasting a half-day or so.

No matter what your starting point is, it'll take a good part of a day EACH WAY to get between there and Monument Valley. One of its attractions is that it is so isolated from the large cities.

If you're at Bryce, you're also so close to Zion that you may as well visit there as well. I've always thought of these two parks as one place to visit. Visit Monument Valley, and that's pretty much all you'll see (not that it isn't worth being the only thing to see).

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines