Bryce Canyon National Park Travel Answers

change location

Bryce in March

by danit98 Online Now Feb 23, 2009 at 11:28 PM

We are planning to visit Bryce NP end of March. From the net I know it can be snowing and the question is if the driving in the park is safe (rv 32 feet witout previos exp. in driving rv)

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Segolily's Profile Photo

Re: Bryce in March

by Segolily Online Now Feb 24, 2009 at 7:39 AM

If it is snowing you do not want to be driving if you are at all uncomfortable. The roads can get slick and icy so have alternate plans to wait the storm out.
    If it is not snowing then the road through the park will be fine. It seems the last few years March has been fine, it is April when we get the storms and then they are usually rain.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Feb 24, 2009 at 12:18 PM

We got snow at Bryce in October, and only had to navigate around by car. As long as you are at Bryce the driving is not difficult but access to Bryce and down the road again when you want to leave will be the problem, especially in an RV. I share the opinion that you have to sit a snowstorm out before moving your RV on those slopes. Do not forget that Bryce's rim is at rather high altitude of about 8000 feet or 2400 to 2700 metres. This is alpine country, higher than many high mountains in the world.

• Re: Bryce in March

by danit98 Online Now Feb 24, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Thank you for your replays
    Do ve need snow chains for rv

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Feb 24, 2009 at 2:43 PM

As an unexperienced RV driver I would not risk to drive the van up and down there with or without snowchains, as there might also be ice on the road, and snowchains do not help in such conditions.

If nobody here has driven an RV there in such conditions I would contact the rental company and the Bryce Canyon tourist info - also about how serious the threat of snow is there in March. I can imagine it is quite high. I had snow at Grand Canyon in April twice, and this is much lower than Bryce.

• Segolily's Profile Photo

by Segolily Online Now Feb 24, 2009 at 4:42 PM

If you wait out a storm then chains are not necessary.
    Are you familiar with driving in snow?

• WinInZion's Profile Photo

by WinInZion Online Now Mar 6, 2009 at 12:47 PM

I think if you need chains the road would already be closed. I've been there when they only allowed you into Inspiration Pt. You'll be fine.

Win

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines