Bryce Canyon National Park Travel Answers

change location

Star Trail Photography

by johndsouza Online Now Apr 22, 2007 at 4:17 PM

As per the web, Bryce has one of the top three darkest skies in the US.
I was wondering if anyone has tried star trail photography at Bryce?
I am planning to be there for a couple of nights the 4th of July week.
Though it is not a moonless night (moonrise is just around midnight), would anyone have recommendations for north facing (Pole star facing) views that would look nice with star trails?
Furthermore, since I would be aiming for a 2 hour exposure around 10 PM, are there things I should be concerned about in the dark (mountain lions, scorpions, any critters I am not exposed to in the cold north east :-) I plan to set up the camera, hop back to the car, and then pick up the camera 2 hours later... but I may try a few experimental shots at ISO1600 before the 2 hour shot, to see what the exposure looks like!
Thanks!
John

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Segolily's Profile Photo

Re: Star Trail Photography

by Segolily Online Now Apr 23, 2007 at 8:04 AM

I'm not a photographer so don't know what you need. But there must be lots of options if what you are mainly wanting is the night sky. You wouldn't even need to be in the park for a dark sky. Were you hoping for some hoodoos? then you would need to be down on a trail somewhere. Sunrise or Sunset points might be a good way to get under the rim quickly. Also check out Inspiration Point, Paria or Bryce Points as they have north facing views. But there are also some meadows further south on the way to Rainbow point also that might work well if you don't need anything else in the frame

Yes, there are animals, no I wouldn't worry about them.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Star Trail Photography

by johndsouza Online Now Apr 25, 2007 at 6:51 PM

I was not on getting any hoodoo details, but I am hoping to get silhouettes (sp?). One beautiful example from Arches is at gcollier.com/Star-Trails-Nig...
    I have read a lot on it, and it is hard to try it in Boston - too much ambient light pollution.
    Thanks for the tips. I did go out and get a compass, so I'll scope out these view points during the day, and then just hope that it is a cloudless night!

• Segolily's Profile Photo

Re: Star Trail Photography

by Segolily Online Now Apr 30, 2007 at 8:15 AM

That is a cool picture. For hoodoo silhouettes you would need to be off the rim down a trail. You may not need to go too far though, try Sunrise point first. You may also get what you want in Red Canyon. You go through it after the turnoff from 89 onto Hwy12. There you are below the hoodoos, you just may not have as wide open of a sky. And you may have cars driving by. But look at it as a possibility on your way into Bryce. Good luck, I hope it turns out.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines