Bryce Canyon National Park Travel Answers

change location

April Visit

by grcop Online Now Jan 13, 2003 at 4:36 PM

Is early April a good or bad time to visit? Looking for longer day hikes. Will snow/ice be a problem and prevent me from the 'total' experience? Thanks for replies!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • caffeine_induced78's Profile Photo

Re: April Visit

by caffeine_induced78 Online Now Jan 14, 2003 at 7:38 PM

I am considering a trip to the Southern Utah Nat. Parks in April or Early May. I want to go anytime but the mass road trip months that are really hot. If I may suggest a book to read before you visit or for when on the trip. Check out the book "Desert Solitaire," by Edward Abbey. It is an account of his time as a park ranger in Arches National Park before it was a National Park. It will open your eyes to American outback issues and culture. Cheers! Bryant

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mittens's Profile Photo

by mittens Online Now Mar 20, 2003 at 10:56 AM

I went on New Year's day a couple years ago and practically had the place to myself. It was relatively warm - in the 50s - so with a light jacket or sweatshirt you should be fine during the day. PLEASE NOTE: someone should always know where you are and when to expect your return. You should contact the visitor's bureau for information on non-park trails. Do not consult just any map and hike down an unknown "trail". A couple got lost recently for 5 days and the woman died of exposure. Be careful, make informed decisions, and have fun!

• Emmjai's Profile Photo

by Emmjai Online Now May 31, 2003 at 2:53 PM

That was exactly the time of year I made my first trip, and it was wonderful. Seeing the rocks tipped with snow is real special!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines