Brussels Travel Answers

change location
iccuf's Profile Photo

Summer Overnight

by iccuf Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 2:12 PM

My husband and I will be arriving in Brussels on a Sunday morning in August and staying overnight, leaving Monday around noon for Paris. We will not have a car. I know nothing about Brussels short of what I have read here and other guides. Do I want to stay around the Grand Place or over on Avenue Louise? I want to walk around and see things Sunday and I want a good room for a good nights sleep Sunday night. Thanks for any advice.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • von.otter's Profile Photo

Re: Summer Overnight

by von.otter Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 9:18 PM

When we visited we stopped in the Ave. Louise area, at the Hotel Manos Stephanie (www.manosstephanie.com). But this hotel, although quite good, and in a quiet neighborhood, is a bit of a walk from the historic center.

Because you will be in town for only a day, to save time, I would suggest that you stop at a hotel in the Grand-Place area, the heart of Brussels. Here you will find the main attractions: Hôtel de Ville, Maison du Roi, and the Manneken-Pis.

Guided tours are conducted of the Hôtel de Ville’s interior. Directly across Grand-Place is Maison du Roi, a fine museum of the city’s history. And only a few blocks from Hôtel de Ville is the city’s leading citizen, Manneken-Pis.

Take special note of the guildhall buildings surrounding Grand-Place; they are fascinating in their details, which are intimately linked with the history of each building. The Church of St. Nicholas is only a few blocks from Grand-Place and lodged in one of its inside pillars is a cannon ball left by the French bombardment in 1695.

You can have lunch on Grand-Place; there are plenty of restaurants, with outdoor seating for people watching between courses.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • hannette's Profile Photo

by hannette Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 1:47 AM

I would also suggest that you take a hotel close to the historic center (Grand Place).
    I don't know what your budget is, but there are plenty of hotels in each range..
    Marriott, NH hotel, Novotel, Ibis, ...
    The advantage of staying close to the historic center is that really everything is within walking distance and you won't lose time covering big distances.
    I hope this answer was of help.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 12:51 PM

been there several times leisure and business, just last over the Christmas holiday with the family. of course we drove a car, but the thalys train takes you to paris fairly easy

Avenue Louise is very chic upscale area of shops, and restos. Grand Place is the popular tourist place with all the works. It depends on your interests.

I use the Accor French chain of hotels most of the time so plenty to choose all over the city.
    accorhotels.com/hotel-direct...
    all good especially the mercure and novotel.

you can see my belgium page here or others in destinations above or hit our names to go to our pages;
    hope it helps your planning

• iccuf's Profile Photo

by iccuf Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Thank you so much. I was thinking close to Grand Place, but "you never know for sure until you've been there!" Thanks so much.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 2:39 AM

enjoy Brussels !

• EgoAmorMundi's Profile Photo

by EgoAmorMundi Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 8:46 AM

If it's your first time in Brussels, Grand Place area is a must! If you ever return to Brussels you can stay at Avenue Louise but for now you should for the Grand Place area. Of course things are a bit more expensive here because of the tourists but you will find good, calm accomodation for a reasonable price. Good hotels with excellent locations are for example: Le Meridien, Novotel and Marriott. These are quite luxorious. For cheaper hotels, check out The Dominican, hotel Orts or Sandton Pillows. Hope you enjoy Brussels as much as I do!

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines