Brunssum Travel Answers

change location

Speak English in Brunssum?

by KisJutka Online Now Dec 9, 2005 at 4:25 AM

My husband's work hasn't 100% decided that we're coming to Brunssum, but it's looking good. :) We will know in a month or two. I've very excited! I hope that he gets the job.

I have heard people say that everyone speaks English everywhere, including the Netherlands. I realize that English is pretty universal, but I don't like to make that kind of assumption.

If my husband gets this job, should I learn at least some Dutch?

Personally, I think that when you move to another country it's respectful to at least try to learn some of their language instead of expecting them to just know your language.

Thank you in advance for your answers!
KisJutka

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • dnwitte's Profile Photo

RE: Speak English in Brunssum?

by dnwitte Online Now Dec 9, 2005 at 5:12 AM

If nothing else, it would be a highly appreciated courtesy and will get you lots of brownie points. But bear in mind two things: Until your Dutch is good enough to mask your origins, most people will answer you in English anyway, which will slow your progress immeasurably.
    And, if you learn Dutch before you leave, you will find the accent, virtually a dialect, in Brunssum quite different from what you learned at home, and that will take some getting used to.
    BTW, people who say "Everybody speaks English everywhere" haven't been there. You may find that English is less familiar to the locals of Brunssum than say Amsterdam or Utrecht. My inlaws are from that region and English is very difficult for them.
    It's a nice region. Have fun.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Igraine's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Speak English in Brunssum?

by Igraine Online Now Dec 9, 2005 at 6:49 AM

I totally agree with dnwitte, in every aspect.

It would also make things a lot easier for you i think when you could understand dutch in writing. When you go the supermarket, other shops, a restaurant, a glimpse in the newspaper, you will be able to tell what it says. It will make you aware of what is going on around you.

I have never felt so lost myself in countries like Greece and sri lanka where i couldnt understand a word from what was written on the street signs, bill boards etc.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Dec 9, 2005 at 2:24 PM

We will help you in English, but also would appriciate highly when you learn some Dutch (customs too). I guess we have to organize another big Maastricht VT-meeing in 2006 (Ooops, Roy is away by then...).

PJ

• Igraine's Profile Photo

by Igraine Online Now Dec 10, 2005 at 4:15 AM

PJ, Why not Den Bosch this time? I have never been there and as far as i know we never had a meeting there either.

• RE: RE: Speak English in Brunssum?

by KisJutka Online Now Dec 10, 2005 at 5:58 AM

Thank you all very much for your responses.

I'm looking forward to coming to Brunssum and doing my best to learn at least some of the language!

Thanks again for you advice!

:)

• RE: RE: RE: Speak English in Brunssum?

by KisJutka Online Now Dec 10, 2005 at 8:43 AM

I'm looking forward to coming to Brunssum and doing my best to learn at least some of the language!

• RE: RE: RE: Speak English in Brunssum?

by KisJutka Online Now Dec 10, 2005 at 2:50 PM

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines